Sailboat vs. Powerboat accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I get Seaworthy magazine and this article was in the magazine I received Yesterday.
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/justice.asp

It's a very interesting story. The article has an obvious slant, but even considering their bias, I still find it hard to believe the sailboat driver is being charge with manslaughter.
The power boat driver -- a law enforcement officer -- his some issues with bac test.

Definitely a lose-lose for everyone involved.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sailboat vs. Powerboat accident

I get Seaworthy magazine and this article was in the magazine I received Yesterday.
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/justice.asp

It's a very interesting story. The article has an obvious slant, but even considering their bias, I still find it hard to believe the sailboat driver is being charge with manslaughter.
The power boat driver -- a law enforcement officer -- his some issues with bac test.

Definitely a lose-lose for everyone involved.

i read that a while back......i still cant beleive it is playing out the way it is....lets hope the judge owns a boat

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

What would be happening if the powerboat driver wasn't a cop. This is why I have no respect for Law Enforcement. The Laws don't apply to ME cause I have a badge. Run up and down the Highways at over 100 no lights no siren...just late for coffe and doughnuts. They're rude, arrogant (ESPECIALLY MARINE COPS) and don't generally understand the LAW. I know...I know, I'm ranting but this really pisses me off!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Drowned Rat

Captain

As soon as the investigating deputies discovered the identity of the power boat driver, they should have called in the state police. Seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow that's an ugly situation

fishrdan

Admiral

That was a very disturbing read. A sad situation for the people involved and just another example of what is wrong with our legal system. Here's some more info:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/iteam&id=5565603

"He was right to be worried. Exactly one year after Lynn Thornton died the Lake County district attorney charged Bismarck Dinius with manslaughter. The accusation was that the sailboat's running lights were off and Dinius was responsible because he was steering the boat at the time.

Jon Hopkins, Lake County District Attorney: "The person at the-- who's the operator has the responsibility for making sure they're operating in a safe manner."
(implying the sail boat operator was wreck less)

This could have been anyone of us...:confused::mad:

rndn

Commander

Sounds like the good old boys watching out for one another. I feel bad for the poor sap that is charged with manslaughter, although he also had no right at the helm with a BAC of .12.

Drowned Rat

Captain

That was a very disturbing read. A sad situation for the people involved and just another example of what is wrong with our legal system. Here's some more info:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/iteam&id=5565603

"He was right to be worried. Exactly one year after Lynn Thornton died the Lake County district attorney charged Bismarck Dinius with manslaughter. The accusation was that the sailboat's running lights were off and Dinius was responsible because he was steering the boat at the time.

Jon Hopkins, Lake County District Attorney: "The person at the-- who's the operator has the responsibility for making sure they're operating in a safe manner."
(implying the sail boat operator was wreck less)

This could have been anyone of us...:confused::mad:

Wow, that's a hard article to read without getting red in the face. I disagree about whoever is driving has responsibility. I believe it's whoever is the captain of the boat has responsibility. What if the owner had turned the helm over to a 10 year old? Who do you think they'd be coming after then? The fact that the operator was intoxicated is perhaps the only thing they could be held accountable for, but even that should have been recognized by the captain of the boat.

I think the quoting of the rules of the road is a bit funny. That the sailboat operator failed to have a proper lookout. Anyone of the passengers could have filled this role, in fact one of them did spot the boat and said they were about to be hit. Where was the power boat operators "lookout"? If this case seems outrageous to us, it's because it is. The jury will see it the same way. The fact that the sailboats nav lights were seen by so many makes it a no brainer for me. And that's the cornerstone of the case against the sailboat driver. Add all the conflict of interest in the mix and hopfully this will be an open and shut case.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Humph. A perfect storm of premeditated negligence. No lights? Maybe. Drunk? Probably.

I know of no exceptions to the law of the sea that sailing vessels always have right of way over power vessels, but all vessels under way need operating running lights and all vessels underway need a sober, competent operator at the helm.

I see no opinion whether the sailing vessel had sufficient maneuverability to avoid the power vessel.

It is probably good that this event will make us all a bit more paranoid when afloat.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there was nothing wrong with the sailboat (ie no lights) it should be intirely the fault of the powerboat. Sailboats ALWAYS have the rightaway over power driven vessels.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is unclear as to if the sail boat was under sail or not, but the rules of the road are very clear: In determining a safe speed the following factors shall be among those taken into account. These are the rules from the USCG regarding safe speeds and when to slow down, pay close attention to 1 and 4

(a) By all vessels:

1. The state of visibility;
2. The traffic density including concentrations of fishing vessels or any other vessels;
3. The manageability of the vessel with special reference to stopping distance and turning ability in the prevailing conditions;
4. At night, the presence of background light such as from shore lights or from back scatter from her own lights;
5. The state of wind, sea and current, and the proximity of navigational hazards;
6. The draft in relation to the available depth of water.

That being said the DA in this case is a total A-Hole. Does he not know what happened to the DA that charged the Duke Lacrosse team? This is an abortion of justice, incompetence piled on top of incompetence topped off with some cronie-ism.

How can that deputy sleep at night, not even an apology.

Drowned Rat

Captain

If there was nothing wrong with the sailboat (ie no lights) it should be intirely the fault of the powerboat. Sailboats ALWAYS have the rightaway over power driven vessels.

Not if the Sailboat was using his motor, but the article doesn't say. It did say there was little wind. It wouldn't surprise me if he was motoring a bit. Either way, it doesn't matter, he was struck from the rear. I think it all boils down to whether or not his nav lights were lit or not. Even the fact that the sailboat operator was intoxicated shouldn't negate the power boat driver's negligence.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this thing still gets me irked......

this c&p from the boat us article.....

Alcohol. Right from the start, questions were raised about how the investigation was handled. As soon as the police arrived, Dinius was given a breathalyzer test and later a blood test at the hospital. He was found to have a BAC of .12. The bigger issue is Deputy Sheriff Perdock?s blood alcohol level. A Lake County sergeant told a local TV reporter that he was instructed by a superior not to give a breathalyzer test to Chief Deputy Perdock. Instead, Lake County Sheriff James Beland drove Perdock to a nearby hospital where a blood sample was taken.

Accounts vary as to what happened next. Beland testified that after they left the hospital, he drove around with Perdock for more than an hour before taking him home and then dropping off the blood sample at the Lower Lake Substation. Beland couldn?t remember what they talked about, but he was fairly certain they didn?t talk about the accident. Beland also couldn?t remember whether the blood sample was in his car?s trunk or on the passenger seat. Perdock contradicted Beland?s testimony, saying that he was certain he didn?t ride home from the hospital with Beland, although he couldn?t recall how he got home. Russell Perdock said that he?d had ?part of a Coors Lite? earlier that afternoon. His blood test came back clean, but according to the label placed on the sample at the hospital he was tested 24 hours after the accident. A deputy filed an addendum later saying that someone at the hospital must have made a mistake; Perdock?s blood was tested two hours after the accident.

It?s worth noting that the switch for the running light breaker switch on the boat was in the ?OFF? position, although this could have happened when the boat was struck and the electrical wire supplying voltage to the light was severed. The cabin light switch was ?ON.? The sailboat was left unsecured for at least nine hours after the accident and the observation was recorded two days after the collision. This was not addressed in the lake County Sheriff?s Department report

Dan Noyes, a television reporter who investigated the story for ABC news in San Francisco, identified nine people on the sailboat or on shore who said they had seen the sailboat?s running lights, cabin light or both shortly before the collision. But when he told the Lake County District Attorney there were witnesses who had seen the lights, Noyes was told, ?No, there are not.? One of the potential witnesses, Doug Jones, told Noyes that when he tried to tell a deputy sheriff that he?d seen the sailboat?s lights, he was told they had already proven there were no lights on. This was at 8:00 a.m. on the morning after the accident. He told Noyes the deputy refused to take his statement.

? Speed. One of the witnesses on shore who said that he saw the sailboat?s running lights was a retired law enforcement officer. The same retired officer told Noyes that he saw the speeding Baja shortly before the collision and had commented to friends, ?There?s a clown who is either going to kill himself or somebody else.? He estimated the boat was going about 50 mph. Other witnesses who had seen the Baja estimated it was going as fast as 60 mph.

lets just hope justice prevailes in this situation

fishrdan

Admiral

Isn't our legal system great! Not only did they have to go through a civil trial, (which ended up being settled and paying awards to the sail boat guys) they are being drug through a criminal trial now...

It seems that it's not who's at fault, but who has the money. Tap out an insurance policy and move on to the next guy. Exactly why did James Walker have to pay $100K when he was the "so called look out" on the power boat? Wrong place at the wrong time I guess :rolleyes:

All the parties threatened to sue each other, but we now know how it all turned out. Four insurance policies have been pooled ? $300,000 from Bismarck Dinius? policy; $300,000 from Russell Perdock?s policy; $100,000 from Mark Weber?s policy ? he?s the sailboat owner and Thornton?s fiancee?; and $100,000 from James Walker?s policy ? the lookout on the power boat. The bulk of the money, $760,000, is going to Lynn Thornton?s son who is now twenty-two years-old. Mark Weber receives $18,000. Bismarck Dinius ?
$13,000. Russell Perdock gets nothing.

http://iteamblog.abc7news.com/2008/09/boat-crash-sett.html

gonefishie

Commander

What would be happening if the powerboat driver wasn't a cop. This is why I have no respect for Law Enforcement. The Laws don't apply to ME cause I have a badge. Run up and down the Highways at over 100 no lights no siren...just late for coffe and doughnuts. They're rude, arrogant (ESPECIALLY MARINE COPS) and don't generally understand the LAW. I know...I know, I'm ranting but this really pisses me off!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

You and me both bro! I can't stand those guys. They said Clear Lake doesn't have speed limit but I thought it's a standard law that after sunset it's idle speed only. This is why I don't go out after dark. If you're not a commercial vessel, you really don't have no business being on the water after dark anyway. I know the temp is cooler at night, less traffic, the fishing is better, etc...but common, is it really neccessary?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

You and me both bro! I can't stand those guys. They said Clear Lake doesn't have speed limit but I thought it's a standard law that after sunset it's idle speed only. This is why I don't go out after dark. If you're not a commercial vessel, you really don't have no business being on the water after dark anyway. I know the temp is cooler at night, less traffic, the fishing is better, etc...but common, is it really neccessary?
I totally agree with the first part of your statement, but your last two sentences scare the living bejeezus out of me!!

fishrdan

Admiral

I totally agree with the first part of your statement, but your last two sentences scare the living bejeezus out of me!!

Same here... I'm on the water at night WAY more than during the day. You have to respect the darkness, things look different at night and your eyes can play tricks on you. If you have any doubts of what you are seeing slow down or stop.

mthieme

Captain

I know of no exceptions to the law of the sea that sailing vessels always have right of way over power vessels,...
Although not applicable in these circumstances...and I know you know this...
If and when push comes to shove, the less maneuverable vessel has the right of way.
e.g. recreational sailboat versus a commercial barge.
Larger commercial vessels will win almost always.

Glad to see you posting again.
Hope your feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.