Volvo Sx knocking noise/vibration picture of blown gimbal added

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I read a lot of posts here before and always helped, but this time I am stumped as to what might be going on.

I was cruising at 20mph for about 40mins when I heard a weird noise and then drive line noise vibration changed, stopped the boat , everything seemed fine( was my first trip with new sx smart tabs installed)thinking they might be the problem, checked out the prop. Started the boat up and could hear a knocking/rattle noise at idle with stern trimmed all the way down and when turning the steering all the way left or right. Noise went away with trim up slightly and straight ahead, put boat in gear and seemed fine but big vibration when steering ?? Took it very easy the rest of the way but anytime the steering was turned too much it would vibrate and trim had to be left in the same spot(almost fully down postion). I am thinking gimbal bearing from what I have read, but also u joints as well. But it was doing it at idle and not in gear(I don't think the ujoints spin when not in gear????) Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Sx knocking noise/vibration ???

Pull the drive and check your ujoints and gimbal bearing. I bet you have water in the bellows that caused the problem. Also check the gear lube.

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks , I was wondering if you have a link to the procedure for removing the drive, this will be my first time, I'm good mechanically but I saw you posted a link for mercury service manual before and I only have the volvo engine workshop manual and would like to find the sterndrive manual to do it right

Thanks again

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, i got the stern drive unbolted and out some but it won't come all the way out

It should just pull the shaft out right?? It seems like it wants to but springy sort of, I didn't want to pull on it too hard and trying to do it by myself.

the u joints are all rusty and I see what looks like a bearing cover on the shaft that is all rusted and destroyed, so i guess I know what went(gimbal bearing) I will replace the u joints as well. So if water was getting in , is the bellow the only culprit or what else might be causing the issue??

Thanks for the help

Don S

Did you take the shift cable loose in the back of the drive? YOu have to pull that plastic cover and disconnect the shift cable and remove the end on the cable to get the drive off.

Yea, I have a link for the SX manual also.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/50982625/e2bdb42c/SX_DP-S_Service_Manual.html

The bellows is the only thing that can allow water into the bellows.

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This site is just terrific....and Don...What can I say but thank you very much for sharing your expertise.

I needed this reference as I was looking for instructions on the scheduled maintenance on the Gimbal bearing..

mstng

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don, would you have a link for the Volvo workshop manual?

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you take the shift cable loose in the back of the drive? YOu have to pull that plastic cover and disconnect the shift cable and remove the end on the cable to get the drive off.

Yea, I have a link for the SX manual also.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/50982625/e2bdb42c/SX_DP-S_Service_Manual.html

The bellows is the only thing that can allow water into the bellows.

It was the shaft end that needed to be removed, i was doing it by myself and could not tell the hole was not big enough, my friend came to help and we saw it. Well the gimbal bearing is destroyed! only the inner race still in place, bearings loose in the bellow, and water inside so i guess i need a new bellow and bearing, otherwise things don't look too bad, u joints have some surface rust but seem fine. Thanks a lot for all the help

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pull the drive and check your ujoints and gimbal bearing. I bet you have water in the bellows that caused the problem. Also check the gear lube.

Ok guys, how am I going to get this bearing out??? All that is left is the outer race and the 2 prong hammer slide puller That i have is not gripping it very well. Will I need to get a blind hole cylindrical puller to do this?? Any help would be appreciated I am gonna try to put a couple of pics for you to look at, thanks in advance

Attachments

• PICT0420.jpg
    PICT0420.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2

Don S

I would take a large dose of patiences. Get a drill and some very sharp drill bits and start drilling holes close together to weaken the wall of the bearing race. Once you get the first piece out the rest should be easy.
Take your time and don't drill the housing. Corrosion is locking it in place.

BTW, how many years was that gimbal bearing been growling for replacement before you pulled the drive. That is not even a one or two month problem.

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would take a large dose of patiences. Get a drill and some very sharp drill bits and start drilling holes close together to weaken the wall of the bearing race. Once you get the first piece out the rest should be easy.
Take your time and don't drill the housing. Corrosion is locking it in place.

BTW, how many years was that gimbal bearing been growling for replacement before you pulled the drive. That is not even a one or two month problem.

I got the boat last year(2000 larson 226SEI) Had the boat fully serviced before winter(or was told so) but this year a couple of times I heard weird noise that I could not place and asked but was told it was because i had dinged my prop, well I now know what it was, bearing inner race split in two peices and everything else went all over the place, thank god it didn't hurt anything else. The u joints seem tight but I was reading that they should almost hold the driveshaft straight out with out holding it when new, mine are way less stiff than that?? Thanks for the help, I was starting to think about drilling as my puller is not doing it. Is the material in the outer race softer than the bearing stuff?? What size is the (is it torx) on the side to remove gimbal housing?? Thanks you very much for the help

Don S

Oh Yea, those ujoints need replaced, and I would be looking at getting the front seal in the drive and the yoke checked out to. All that water rust the yoke and takes out the front seal in the drive. Then you get water in the drive and loose it.
I'm thinking you need to find a new mechanic.