WHATCHAMACALLIT... tilt thingamajig?

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i just bought a boat and today was the first day out! lake michigan hooo! managed to get the whole boat out of the water on an UNEXPECTED wave! so i slowed down and later on i trimmed down the motor and then it wouldnt trim back up... oh no! so when we got back to my house i had someone hit the up switch while i listened to the motor's clicking niose that it makes when you hit the trim up switch. ok i found it! good! what is it? theres two black small boxes with 4 (ish) wires leading into them, one of them is the bad one im guessing, but i know which one it is. is this some kinda fuse? relay? what part do i look for? how much might it be? i havent the slightest clue. i dont have anyone to help me besides YOU! i was so happy to finally have a motor with trim on it and the dang thing only trims down now, and im bummed about it! help! help! i want it fixed and have not alot of money...

RRitt

Captain
Re: WHATCHAMACALLIT... tilt thingamajig?

The two small black things inside engine that click when you operate trim are relays. There is a third small black thing which is circuit breaker.

Unplug the connectors from relays and swap them. If your problem changes directions then one of relays is bad. If not then it is something else.

The relays are nothing special. I have heard repeatedly that you can buy same thing from NAPA and I see them regularly on Ebay for cheap too.

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If it?s a relay just take it off and take it to Napa. They can replace it, under $10.00 bucks.
You might want to check the oil in your reservoir on the unit it might be low.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on the purchase. What did you buy?????

sailingwest

Seaman

I have thingamajigs and whatchamacallits all over my motor but at least i know what they are now!!!

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys... tadaaaaa it works when i switch them! yay! im happy, i did this a while ago but i havent had time to come back and say it., the ex came back after moving to cali... she was really happy for me. now shes gone again, but dont be mad at me for not spending time with you while she was here....lol....its a smokercraft 16 with a 40 force sold new in 2000. i paid 1000 down and havent made my first 500 $ monthly installment yet, now heres another little question... the trim works going one way up and down after switching them a bunch of times, now it works both ways...???!!! wow, i know which relay is the "problem one" but the oil level was mentioned, im going to go run outside and see if i can figure it out, im a relatively new boater and have NO ONE to help me! thanks you all!

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nope... i dont know. looks like theres a drainamabob and a fillamadoodle 2 drips came out the fillama-doodle when i unscrewed it, do you fill it from the top of the can-amafocker where the wires come out? thanksamabunch

RRitt

Captain

when oil level is low then your system works perfectly in both directions but just won't go up all the way. It goes up until it runs out of fluid and then it stops lifting even though motor keeps spinning.