alternative deck railing...cable/rope/??

salty87

Commander
i've got a pretty nice view off the back deck, don't want to block it with an all-wood deck railing but it's about time i add a railing to my deck.

i've done a little searching online and the stainless cable systems for sale are pretty pricey.

i wouldn't mind a more nautical rope theme too instead of the cables.

anyone here with any experience or other ideas?

deck is 24' across the front and 18' off the house...steps have not been decided yet

i386

Captain

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: alternative deck railing...cable/rope/??

you need to check the building codes in your area. i'm sure there is a spacing requirement between each rail. here it is 3 inches.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Plexiglas is an awesome alternative, or tempered glass (not sure which is used). Probably expensive, but saves the view.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

We went with tempered glass panels on our deck. We thought about Plexiglas but with the scratching and yellowing issues the tempered glass made more sense.

captmello

Captain

I've installed a number of different railing systems. The nicest being a powder coated aluminum product with tempered glass. The aluminum is nice and stiff so it doesn't need to be real "Beefy". No maintainance but window washing. Maybe not the best if you've got a bunch of sticky little fingers around the house.

zach103

Commander

i would go with the cables. i love that look.. and i feel like glass your gunna have to clean that alot. and getting the outside part of the glass may be a pain in the rear end

salty87

Commander

i like the look of cables too but with most codes, you need 6 or 7 rows to leave no gaps over 4". that brings the price up pretty quick and also leaves a kind of industrial look.

i'm leaning toward toward vertical aluminum balusters. trying to find a lower cost. anything made for a deck is very much like anything with 'marine' written on it.

thanks for the links and stuff. i'm still looking for a good price. i don't mind cutting them to size or anything...they will be mounted anyway.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

How 'bout some of that invisible fence stuff. That's what I use, put a collar on anybody that's out there.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

An industrial look made from galvanized conduit. Very inexpensive and parts readily available.

Bondo

Staff member

How 'bout some of that invisible fence stuff. That's what I use, put a collar on anybody that's out there.

Ayuh,.... Wicked Great Idea,....

And,...
Taking off Adjuster's idea,....

Chainlink Fencing,..??..??
Cut short, with some sort of handrail across the top to cover the ends of the links....
Fence piping is pretty thinwalled,+ light,... Kinda like Conduit, except different sizing...
With the right Blade, a tablesaw could rip a channel thru a 2" piece to cap it off...