Shampooing Carpets?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello to evrryone. I need to shampoo my carpets because they are Grey and getting dirtier and have some darker stains. I have 2 small house dogs and 2 cats and of course two daughters that like to sneak drinks/food on the carpet areas so that doesn't help to much in keeping them clean either. Anyway, I have a fairly new Bissel carpet cleaner and want to know what is a good product out there detergent wise that will clean my carpets really well and remove stubborn stains and also do they sale a carpet anti stain or carpet protector to put back on the carpet once it is cleaned up. We have cleaned the carpets a few times in the past and I think the anti carpet protection has been removed also. So I am getting your opinions on carpet cleaning. Thanks, Bob:)

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shampooing Carpets?

as far as all that i can tell you to add 1/2 cup of vinager to your shampo will bring the colors and odor out of the carpet..with no remaining vinager odor at all just fresh smelling.the acidic in the vinager will also help to loosen those stubborn stains.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I use one of the Bissel steam cleaners also and always just buy the solution made for the machine.The vinager is a good idea..i will try that.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yeah, the Bissel cleaners work great in their machines. They also sell one that has 3M Scotchguard in it to protect the carpet. Pretreat the worst areas before you shampoo. I use a product called Hot Shot that I get at Costco and it's amazing how well it works.

DR's house<< 2 dogs, 2 kids, white carpet. Please don't ask. :)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use the Bissle stuff too and it works pretty well. I usually add some Simple Green in too - just because I have a big jug of the stuff that never seems to get empty.

Vinegar sounds like a good idea too and I think I'll do that next time instead of the Simple Green.

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My wife is a carpet cleaning nut. We have light beige carpets, 4 kids, and a dog. Hot shot for the tought spots, rub it in with your fingers or a small brush, and then Bissel makes a cleaner called Deep Cleansing Formula. She does a wonderful job at getting them bright. I might have to mention the vinegar to her. We also bought one of those ground fans light you might see at the entrance of a store when the snow flies. You can aim it right at the floor and it will dry the carpet within a few hours.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well I cleaned my carpet today and they turned out pretty good, but it was a job and the water was black as could be, but the carpet turned out great and I am a happy camper. I think tommorrow since I did a good job I will ask Momma if I can take the pontoon boat out for a final run of the season, hopefully she will want to go with me and enjoy the water. Take care and thanks for the suggestions the vinegar worked great also. Bob:)

JJS1

Seaman Apprentice

I tried this today with a new "portable" Bissell carpet cleaner that bought recently, and it came out pretty good.
I put a 1/2 cup of vinegar as suggested and I'm happy with the results considering it was the 1st time I used the carpet cleaner.

Thanks for posting.

-JJS

D

DJ

WATER ONLY. It's the addiitives that make them stink, after a while, and attract dirt.

Spot treat areas but water only in the machine.

mscher

Lieutenant

I'm cheap, so if I need to rent a carpet machine, I skip the expensive cleaner and use diluted laundry detergent.

Works fine.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pressure washer and industrial wet vac works well. :eek: Do make sure to add the vinigar though. ;)

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As a Maint Manager of a hotel, I do a lot of carpets. Pet stains, and people stains.

I use Rubbermaid carpet shampoo. You can buy it a menards.
But the trick here is not really the shampoo, it's the pretreat.
I have a Bug/garden pump sprayer. I mix up a solution of vinegar and water. I dont measure, just a healthy dump of vinegar, then all water.
1 gallon sprayer. Spray it down good. making sure you get the stained areas real soaked.

Then usually 10-15 minutes later, shampoo the carpets with the shampoo.
it's smells horrible, but when dry the carpets are clean and you can't smell pet odors.

Here's a major thing a lot of people make the mistake on.. Especially if you have cats. NEVER use any cleaner that contains Ammonia. It will only make the cats pee on the carpets more. To cats ammonia smell is like another cat. In fact the cat pee smell everyone turns the head to is ammonia.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a Maint Manager of a hotel, I do a lot of carpets. Pet stains, and people stains.

I use Rubbermaid carpet shampoo. You can buy it a menards.
But the trick here is not really the shampoo, it's the pretreat.
I have a Bug/garden pump sprayer. I mix up a solution of vinegar and water. I dont measure, just a healthy dump of vinegar, then all water.
1 gallon sprayer. Spray it down good. making sure you get the stained areas real soaked.

Then usually 10-15 minutes later, shampoo the carpets with the shampoo.
it's smells horrible, but when dry the carpets are clean and you can't smell pet odors.

Here's a major thing a lot of people make the mistake on.. Especially if you have cats. NEVER use any cleaner that contains Ammonia. It will only make the cats pee on the carpets more. To cats ammonia smell is like another cat. In fact the cat pee smell everyone turns the head to is ammonia.

Now that's very useful advice. ;)

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

I do boat and car detailing on the side and bought a professional carpet extractor...to get your carpet clean here is the way to do it..

go to Home Depot get the gallon jug of Zeps carpet Cleaner concentrate great stuff and cheap like 10.00 a gallon...beats any others hands down....pre treat any heavy stains first use a citrus All purpose cleaner safe on carpets...use a pump sprayer with the mix and hit the bad spots

Now make your mix in your solution tank using hot water from tap..with the zeps..add some vinegar in the pick up tank keeps the foam down....

Now after you washed the carpets here is the trick go over the carpets again with just plain water and vinegar no soap..the water vinegar mix will get the residual soap in the carpets up ..any soap left in carpets will make it easy to soil again..so u want all the soap out of the carpets...you will be surprised how dirty the water vinegar mix is when u drain it..

Vinegar is 5% acidic and it brings the soap out of the fibers which will hold dirt in so make sure u do a clean water rinse after you use a soap..

Al