What makes my Chris Craft a premium brand?

scipper77

Commander
I have a 1984 Chris Craft Scorpion 168. What makes this a premium brand?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: What makes my Chris Craft a premium brand?

baaa.haaa haaaa....

strip yoiur chris craft apart to the hull......

then go buy another boat same vintage.......lets say a bayliner.....

strip it down to the bare hull......it wont take long and youll have your answer :D

chris crafts...are one of the best made boats on the market...

cheers :)
oops

scipper77

Commander

I've heard that the Chris Craft Company was baught out in the late eighties or early nineties and the quality of Chris Crafts of that era suffered. Is that true?

If I stripped two boats down to the hull I'm not sure that I would know what I was looking at. Buy I'll take your word for it Oops.
I would love to strip my boat down to the hull but there is no way I'm brave enough try to put it all back together.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they have always been a top of the line boat, true as with any, there are problems, but most of the problems are bad owners not bad boats. i have a 1999 230 Deckboat.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

The easiest way to spot a "premium" boat is to look at the hardware. The better boats will have stainless steel hardware (not zemack (sp?) or aluminum) and it will usually be larger than that found on entry level boats. The fiitings will be through-bolted with backing plates. The fiberglass is usually thicker and of better quality (often hand laid - no "chopper guns") but this is harder to see. Also look inside any storage compartments. Premium boats will have these areas finished just like the areas that show. Cheaper boats will reveal rough edges and a lack of finishing in these areas. Also look at the electrical wiring that you can see. A premium boat will have the wiring run neatly and firmly secured, cheaper boats will look like the wiring was run by a "mad squirrel".

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard that the Chris Craft Company was baught out in the late eighties or early nineties and the quality of Chris Crafts of that era suffered. Is that true?

If I stripped two boats down to the hull I'm not sure that I would know what I was looking at. Buy I'll take your word for it Oops.
I would love to strip my boat down to the hull but there is no way I'm brave enough try to put it all back together.

You are right they were part of the OMC which is out of business so they had a number of years the quality was not up to par.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I can tell on mine that it was hand laid.No chopped glass at all.
The hull feels really thick.Its a heavy boat but rides high in the water.
Best riding boat in chop i have ever had.
Everyone thats been out in it with me says it rides like an old Cadillac..:)

freddyray21

Commander

ditto what many said. It's the quality of the boat. My old Searay has that quality. Stainless steel fittings ect. Rides very well also.

scipper77

Commander

I would guess that boats are like anything else. I'd bet that standard construction 20 years ago was the same quality as what we would consider premium construction today. I am always amazed at how many 1950's era outboards are still in operation today.

Things like hand laid fiber glass that are more labor intensive are the sort of things that companies avoid to keep cost down. I've heard it said that there is no longer the dependency on craftsmanship that there once was.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

mannnn that such a trade off......

lets say we were building a hull....ok....chopper gun or hand laid?

chopper.....less resin used..(lighter boat)..fraction of the time.... a strong hull. less staff...(1)

hand laid.....more resin....more staff. (5)...longer production time by a factor of 5...heaver boat....chance of malfunction twice as high.

what one wins from a cost point of view?

chopper every time.

in production boat building its allways a cost benefit trade off....or just a trade off.......more weight....less speed....nicer finish....more time spent.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

having said all that.....i stuck my head in side a new chris craft a little while ago......WOW..!....really good work.....just a super built boat

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

All the hardware on mine is still solid.No screws, everything is through bolted.
Not bad for being close to 30 years old.Even all the original teak is in good shape after a little sanding and oiling.
Too bad cars don't hold up as well...at least most don't anyway.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

In the mid 90's I had the absolute luck of being contacted by Mercruiser to be part of a market evaluation for their 2 speed transmission (prior to the bravo III, a two speed transmission was not effective because it would just break the prop loose in "low" gear). I was actually paid to spend the afternoon in a 27' checkmate with a 502 in it going from a dead stop to wide open over and over, with and without the two speed transmission. Really a blast, I then spent about an hour being interviewed by marketing types. I was paid $75 CASH, I figured I used about $100 worth of gas (it was $1.50/gallon at the time) and told the marketing guys I would have paid THEM for having that much fun. In my "small" talk with Merc rep who accompanied me on my ride, the topic of best built boats came up. He said that most boats in their test progams of this type last a maximum of two years. He said they basically rattled or beat themselfs to death... With one exception. He said their current Cobalt boats were on their 8th year of service and still rock solid. He said it would be the only boat he would own. After some research, I had similar thoughts. But for the light duty cycle I have with boats (recreational inland waters), I could not justify the extra dollars they demand. Chris Craft may have been a "premium" brand at one time... But I would not consider their 80's model a premium by any definition... hardware, laminate, vinyl etc. I know of two scorpions that had gas tanks replaced and their interiors were average at best.

scipper77

Commander

Chris Craft may have been a "premium" brand at one time... But I would not consider their 80's model a premium by any definition... hardware, laminate, vinyl etc. I know of two scorpions that had gas tanks replaced and their interiors were average at best.

I would like to point out that my Chris Craft still has the original interior and it is in amazing shape for an '84. The only thing that has been recovered is the engine cover.

You have now motivated me to do a little research and see if I can find out exactly when the company was bought out.:confused:

scipper77

Commander

OK so a quick search shows that the company sold it's boating division in 1981, and I believe again in '94. Not sure how this relates to quality however.

scipper77

Commander

this is where the quality began, just look at these beauties.

http://www.antiqueboat.com/boats/Utilities2.asp

i've been trying to buy one just like this for the last year, trying to get clear title.
http://www.sierraboat.com/boats/245.html

Can you say craftsmanship. Those boats are so beautiful that there should never be the discussion weather it is better to repair or replace. I said earlier that I would not want to strip my boat down to the hull for fear of having to put it back together. If I had something like those boats I would have no problems initiating that kind of project if I thought there may be some sort of a problem.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I speak from rebuilding my 86 Chris Craft 178. Even though this was one of their entry level boats, it was built like a tank. The hull is super thick and looks great with the original gelcoat (colorsanded and buffed). I have no real stress cracks in it at all.

The stringers were rotted though. Like any boat from the 80s, the deck and stringers were wood, and water got to them, rotting them out.

With this said, I don't know how long the boat was operated with these stringers, but the hull held up fine in the meantime.

I have seen a lot of mid 80s Bayliners running around here with some serious stress cracking due to rotted stringers. I see a lot of the bowriders with their windshields tilted in due to deck rot. It would seem to me these boats were more reliant on the stringers for strength, where the Chris Craft has more strength built into the hull itself.

I will say that I would not buy a new one. Sure they are built very well, but the impression I got from the Chris Craft folks at the Tampa Boat Show was rotten. They seem to only build some "uppity owners" vessels, and seemed very snobby. When I told them I was using my 178 all summer, they made me feel like I was some kind of welfare scumbag. The Tige', Sea Ray and Supra folks treated me like a person, and I was even able to water test a new Tige' RZ4.

When I do buy a new boat in a year of so, I know where I will NOT go!​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have nice boat, but like many trade show, the personell there are from the local dealer, not the manufacturer. most personell don't even want to be there, as the chance of making a sale is slim.

just because you got someone who got up on the wrong side of the bed, is not reason to discount the brand.