To grease or not to grease

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: To grease or not to grease

This is why I never do it, the grit and sand is far worse at wearing the ball and receiver out prematurely than never greasing your ball will be.........Irv964

You're right. However, I use my trailer to drop the boat in my slip in May and then again to take it out in Sep/Oct. Maybe once in between to fully clean and check things out. I simply clean and regrease just before re-using it.

But if you trailer a lot, I could see it being a PITA

water wiggle

Cadet

I don't use grease. I do use the teflon ball lubricant sold at alot of marine stores. When I am done towing I wipe the ball off and the inside of the coupler to prevent dirt and any other crap from sticking to it. I always pull the draw bar from the receiver and store it. I too hate kicking it. Just my .02

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, its part of my routine to put a little dab of grease on top of ball before hooking up my trailer. Then when done a paper towel is all thats needed to clean the mess off the ball. Yes, I have gotten stains on my pant legs, but thats not half as bad as the dent in my shin bone!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Never really bothered lubing the ball.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

No. Personally, I don't think it is needed. On top of that, I don't want the shins of every pair of pants I own stained.:D

Took the cover off the ball today, went to line it up with the trailer, and presto, pants are full of grease.... Should`ve skipped the grease....

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing worse than dirty ball grease.

:eek:

I have been cracking up reading this thread... thanks guys!!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I just keep my tow hitch on my truck all the time. I don't really care if it rusts on, because i need to use it a lot. And by now i know to walk around it, and not into it.
If i really need to get it off, i tie a chain to it , and the other end to a tree, and drive forward, and it comes off right away.
Greasing up the coupling, seems like just another thing the do when boating, I already have to do 100 things before i get my boat in the water.
You can't keep up on every little thing involving a boat, it is immpossible.

Cole_l

Cadet

I loaded my new (used) 23 1/2 ft boat on back of my Denali and started hauling. I had an enormous shimmy at about 65 mph - the speed I decided was ideal with the load. When I stopped at some friends in Nebraska some 1500 miles later, it was suggested that I lube the ball. Did so and the shimmy went away so I am now a ball greaser. I don't worry about grit on the ball since I remove the receiver after trailering and re - insert it just before hookup. I wipe and reapply grease before almost every use anyway. Grease is cheap.