Jury Duty

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I begin Jury Duty tomorrow -- well at least I have to begin calling in to see if I have to serve.

I have only served in California court, but this time it is in Federal court.

Just curious if anyone has served Jury Duty for Federal court and what makes a case federal rather than state? Obviously Jurisdiction, but what are some examples.

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Jury Duty

Any crime that crosses state lines is federal.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually the Feds handle local public corruption trials, but that may only apply down here.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

you want you get out of it... you'll be tied up for months.

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So far I have been extremely impressed with how efficient they have been.
They already sent me a questioner asking the basic, how long can you serve, age, education, etc.
They have called to remind me to call in, and gave me a number to call if I have any problems.
As far as length of service, my employer will pay for 10 days, I?ll volunteer 5 more. After that, I?m not your guy.

So far, it has been a very positive, professional process.
But the Jury is still out (HAHA!)

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't believe this!

One the day before I begin my Federal Jury duty, I get a summons for California Jury Duty.

I had to laugh -- I think I get out of the California. I believe you only have to serve once a year.

Ironic!

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I can't believe this!

One the day before I begin my Federal Jury duty, I get a summons for California Jury Duty.

I had to laugh -- I think I get out of the California. I believe you only have to serve once a year.

Ironic!

Don't go to Florida!

My friend there was called up to serve on a jury. He wasn't happy because he is self employed with a small business, and his contracts have to be finished, whether he is there, or not. This meant jury duty during the day, and work at night, or close his business.

They didn't care about his business, and said he couldn't do both.

He thought, bite the bullet, just get it over with and serve. Well, that is what he thought.

He has now landed on some kind of “idiot list” of possible jury members.

Has been called on 6 times, in less than 10 months.

He has started to act like a “crazy nut”, each time they question him. This seems to be working, but they still keep calling him back.

I don't know what the laws are, or if they are different from state to state, but something is really wrong here!

j_martin

Admiral

If you let them know that you understand that "jury lawlessness" is actually how it's supposed to work. They'll ignore you forever.

John

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

just tell them you are friends with convicted felons who were unfairly convicted of crimes they didn't commit and they won't call anymore. :D

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I've never been called for anything but Federal juries. Don't know why. What irritates the h..l out of me is that a hundred or so law abiding citizens are called down to the courthouse, stay all day while they go through jury selection, come back the next day and just before the trial starts, they announce that a plea bargain has been reached. Out of eight or so, I've never seen one go to trial.
Down here, if you want to be released early, do this: dress nicely, speak well, and most of all say that you would believe a law enforcement official's word over that of a person on trial. I always add that I base this belief on my experience with my friends who are policemen or federal agents [this actually happens to be true, so I can give names although I have never been asked to].

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Apparently the term "Civic Duty" has gone the way of personal responsibility.:confused::confused::(:(

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

nah people just hate to waste their time and lose quite a bit of money just so some fancy lawyer can get the crooks off with a slap of the wrist.

that said i have never been called for it and if I were, I would go. If nothing else just to see what it's like and to be part of the system. but these guys that have been called multiple times that is uncalled for. they should be able to say they have done their's already and get the free pass out. everyone should have to do it, not just a chosen few.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I have never been called for jury duty, and I would actually enjoy it. I think I would make a good juror, too.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I've been summoned several times and served the two times I was chosen to.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I always add that I base this belief on my experience with my friends who are policemen or federal agents [this actually happens to be true, so I can give names although I have never been asked to].

Thanks for the tip, I'll pass it on. His dad spent the last 40 years working as some form of federal agent or the other. :)

Apparently the term "Civic Duty" has gone the way of personal responsibility.:confused::confused::(:(

I think 10 days Jury duty, plus six days of lost work being processed for trials he was not chosen for in 10 months is enough “civic duty” for one year.

He is already involved in the local school district as a volunteer, and spent the better part of the last 20 years doing non-paid 24hr Search & Rescue work.

Both he and his wife are also involved in several local civic organizations.

This way of thinking is why I stopped donating my time. After awhile it became their time, not mine, they didn't ask anymore if I would help, the just said, and you will be doing this or that. There is a limit, and when it reached over 40 hours a month of "Civic Duty", I pulled the plug. I am not retired with unlimited time to fill, and work up to 80 hours a week.

It wasn't appreciated, it was expected. Give an finger, and they will take an arm. :mad:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I think 10 days Jury duty, plus six days of lost work being processed for trials he was not chosen for in 10 months is enough ?civic duty? for one year.

He is already involved in the local school district as a volunteer, and spent the better part of the last 20 years doing non-paid 24hr Search & Rescue work.

Both he and his wife are also involved in several local civic organizations.

This way of thinking is why I stopped donating my time. After awhile it became their time, not mine, they didn't ask anymore if I would help, the just said, and you will be doing this or that. There is a limit, and when it reached over 40 hours a month of "Civic Duty", I pulled the plug. I am not retired with unlimited time to fill, and work up to 80 hours a week.

It wasn't appreciated, it was expected. Give an finger, and they will take an arm. :mad:

That seems way, way, over the top. Here you are one and done for a year. As for their additional volunteer work, it is greatly appreciated. But that's a separate issue from jury duty, as I see it any how.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

That seems way, way, over the top. Here you are one and done for a year. As for their additional volunteer work, it is greatly appreciated. But that's a separate issue from jury duty, as I see it any how.

I was involved last year in two separate felony criminal trials in Germany, as a witness for the German State.

I was contracting/consulting for a company that is a 3 hour one way drive from where I live, and stayed in a rented room there four nights a week. Both trials required I be in the town where I live starting on Wednesday in the middle of the work week.

When I received the letter from the court stating the days I would need to be there, it included the threat of a fine for me, that was the equivalent of over $20,000 for not showing up. I contacted the court and informed them that I work in another part of the country at the moment, and for me to come I would need a letter to my then client/employer from them. They sent it with along with a promise to cover all travel cost, and my missed salary. My client/employer was mad at me, and I spent a total of 12 hours on the highway to be there, and out of my pocket money on gasoline. I also had to spend two weekends away from home to make up the work missed, to comply with my contractual agreements.

I sat in the hall at the court with the local Chief of Police (the other witness) for 6 hours before being called into introduce myself, and state that what I had said, is what I saw, and then to return to the hall way.

I had already been called to police station to file a report stating what I had seen three times on weekends, and talked to the prosecuting attorney, under oath, three times, plus I spent the better part of the night of the crime talking to at least a dozen police, before taking a shower & driving 3 hours to work, without sleep.

I was informed by the Chief of Police that I was being called a anti-German, anti-Spanish racist, and was just fulfilling a vendetta, by the defense attorney, and that this could go on for weeks. I didn't know where these guys were from, nor did I really care.

In a sudden turn of events, the German turned on the Spanish guy, and plea bargained his freedom, in exchange for testimony against the Spanish guy, and backed up our story of the chain of events.

At this point the judge called me in, and informed me I was free to go, and to ask me to give him the paper work I had concerning my cost, and the receipts for gas & travel. He blew up at me for not informing him I was in another city, because I really didn't need to be there, because the court had my statements already. I informed him I had, and the court threatened me twice with a $20,000+ fine if I didn't come.

He refused to cover my cost in full, I earned over the maximum amount they would pay (they payed minimum wage), and my travel miles was over the limit I was allowed to travel to come to court. I had close to $500 of lost personal money, and spent the next two weekends out of town trying to bring the project back up to schedule.

The German guy, 23 years old, walked, no charges, the Spanish guy, 20 years old, successfully argued he was a minor, and was released to his parents, no fine or charges.

The Chief of Police, now a friend, said now you know why the Germans all look the other way when there is a crime committed before their eyes here. He said, I am payed to sit here day after day, I don't care if I am here, or at the station, you are not, think about it next time.

There were at least a dozen of my neighbors that were witnesses that night, yet when asked, they all said they had seen nothing. Now ever time something happens in the neighborhood, or they want information about someone I might know something about, on some list they have, they ring my door bell.

I won't bore you with the other trial details, but it was all the same, just different.

Sorry about going off on a tangent with this thread, but this has nothing to do with “civic duty”. It is more about abuse of office.

Moral to the story.

Government employees don't give a **** about you, or your time. They are paid well to be there, and you & I, are not. They waste your time, because it is just that, yours, not theirs. My BIL (a real nice guy) is a District Attorney, you want to hear about Civic Duty, spend an afternoon talking with him.

Not wanting to jump on you :) Limited Time :), I try to give back to the community, what I get out of it, but there are limits to how far I will now go, and I set those limits.

Learned my lesson the hard way. :rolleyes:

P.S. Did I mention, afterwards we received anonymous death threats? They were treated as a prank from local kids just having fun. Don't worry. :rolleyes:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I had to show up last monday for Massachusetts grand jury selection.
Because this is grand jury, they expected you to serve 3 to 4 days a week for 3 to 4 months. Commuting between 3 different courts. Seriously, who can do that?
I told them I was unemployed and couldnt afford to go.
The judge said "we can give you $50 a day".
I told her, "well that's hardly an offer, at 3.50 for a gallon of gas and where your asking me to drive to, you'd have to at least triple that number for me to even afford it, let alone consider it."
They excused me. :) :) :) :)

Now don't get me wrong, i'd do a 1 day or 2 day jury without complaint as long as their not asking me to drive 100 miles each way. But that commitment is rediculous.
And they wonder why people hate jury duty.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I served on Federal Jury duty in Riverside CA in Dec of last year. I ended up as Foreman, and it was very professional and I actually enjoyed every minute of it. My case was against a Federal prisoner who had attacked a guard. He was a Native American, so I assumed he was already in prison for some sort of offense on a Reservation. I was not allowed to know what his previous offense was as that was not relevant to this case and my assumption could be considered racism by some.

I also had an employee that was caught for counterfeiting, and that would be another Federal Offense. Also, I believe kidnapping across state lines is another example as the jurisdiction would then be FBI which is Federal.

Interesting side note, or let's make it a quiz . . . Those who know this story leave it alone . . . What law enforcement agency holds jurisdiction over counterfeiting? No Googling . . .