first restoration project

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: first restoration project

She is 21ft with 8 ft beam and the reason I bought her is 5'8" head room.
With a 5.5 hp Honda engine and free use of the stands and space at the marina for 6 months. I paid 1800.00 only thing is no trailer. Guntersville lake where she is at is a great sailing lake and a good place to learn how to sail after I finish repairs.

OOHHH man she looks alot bigger !! looks like fun !! John

bucrebuild

Cadet

After I take up the old floor and go put down new plywood using 3/8 exterior grade should I coat it with something before I put it back down?

zach103

Commander

yah resin.. epoxy or poly.. your most likely off using poly. its cheaper and works just as well.. someone on here did 2 coats on every piece so i just followed that.. don't use elmers tho

bucrebuild

Cadet

Any suggestions to where to get poly resin? Does Lowes Home Depot or a sherwin williams type store carry that or over the internet.

zach103

Commander

home depot and lowes should have some

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Has anyone ever used the Home Depot Resin.. I read a few places that price aside its just not as good as the other resins you get from places like fiber-tek or US Composites.. Is this accurate?

zach103

Commander

i used it on mine.. it worked well enough for me to use it on my next project.

bucrebuild

Cadet

Ok I got the flooring up and pulled out some foam that was wet and under the plywood it is all fiberglass. I suspect that the water came in through the top instead of comming thru the hull. I have not found any breaks in the hull below the waterline except one place where the gelcoat has been knocked off and the lead keel is fiberglassed in and laid over with Gelcoat. Could water seep up thru the fiberglass on the lead into the boat?

I purchased some 3/8 exterior plywood and now I went to buy polyester resin and found laminating resin and final coat. Do I neeed to purchase both to lay up three coats on the plywood before I put it down?

Also the small amount of foam in on top of the keel can It be replaced with greatstuff foam?

Thanks for all the great information

bucrebuild

Cadet

I got some samples of Hull liner from West Marine today and think that this is what I am going to do the walls of the sailboat in. Should I us a padding under it it is fairly thin compared to Carpet but is mold and mildew resistant and will wick away the moisture. Thanks.

bucrebuild

Cadet

Ok further sanding on the hull to prep for bottom paint I discovered the source of the water. I found a crack about 2 inches long dripping water out on the bottom edge of the keel. I tried to dig in the the fiberglass and gelcoat with a screwdriver and could not dig in much the keel is lead with fiberglass and gelcoat covering it. How much should I grind back and what type of cloth should I use. I am thinking that I can grind down to about 1/4 of a inch on both sides of the keel and up 3-4 inches along the keel about 1ft long and then refiberglass and feather in the cloth to the rest of the keel.
I have never fiberglassed and need to know how to go about this repair so that I am not redoing this in a couple of years

thanks

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey,
Thats looks like a great project, the big ones are a lot of fun. I used hull liner to replace the rotten hull liner in my 89 larson 30' cruiser. I bought it at www.boatinstyle.com, they have the best prices and low shipping charges as well as fast shipping. I glued it in using contact cement. Here is a before and after shot to give you an idea.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0

bucrebuild

Cadet

sept08095-1-1.jpg

In the circled area I have found a crack after sanding down the bottom and I have found where the water was comming in. I need to know how far should I sand back this area? This is fiberglass over lead. The crack is actually about 2 inches long but I found water comming out of it. Help how should I handle this.

bucrebuild

Cadet

Today I did my first fiberglass work and I thing it looks good. Next weekend in will begin on the kel repair. Today I ground out a 2" deep by 5-6 in corner and out can several gallons of water. I am planning on letting it set and dry through this week I hope it will be enough time.

I have a questin about peanut butter. I purchased marine epoxy and a slow hardner. I have some fiberglass matt and am planning on cutting it up and putting it in the epoxy then packing it into the hole I ground out. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Guntersville lake where she is at is a great sailing lake and a good place to learn how to sail after I finish repairs.

I take it that is Guntersville Alabama correct? I live about an hour from there. We might see ya on the lake in the future with my father's 25ft cabin cruiser when ever we get that thing running :).

bucrebuild

Cadet

Hope to see you there I am at Brown Creek Marina. Stop by sometime I am there working on the boat on Sundays. Look for somebody that Looks like he is lost.
:):):):)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Hope to see you there I am at Brown Creek Marina. Stop by sometime I am there working on the boat on Sundays. Look for somebody that Looks like he is lost.
:):):):)

I hear ya. If I'm ever up that way I'll keep ya in mind, funds are short for me and I don't get to travel to much lately. It might even take a while to get the motor straightend out on my father's cabin cruiser.

bucrebuild

Cadet

I have a problem I am using epoxy and slow hardner. Yesterday I used to to glue some hardwood I am rebuilding the tiller. The epoxy seems to be holding fine but is still soft on the drips that ran off when I clamped it together. Will this eventually harden I intend to use it to fill the hole I ground in the keel last wekend and will need to be able to sand it down so I can finish off the keel. I am worried that if it stays soft that it will gum up everything as I try to sand it off. Also, can I finish off with Fiberglass over the epoxy to get a better finish?

Thanks

bucrebuild

Cadet

Help
Help

I think that I have screwed up my repair. I mixed my epoxy and then started laying glass matt in small pieces at a time and got to a point that it started sliding back on me.. I stopped and kept pushing it into place till the epoxy seemed to start setting up now I need to know when I go back out there how well it actually is HOw do I do that. I am worried that it will slide back and have air bubbles in it and I will have to grind it back out. Please help

bucrebuild

Cadet

Finally got back out to work on the boat today and the start of the repairs seem real solid. I sanded the area good and applied epoxy and cloth and filled it on out to level on the keel and after a couple hours the epoxy hardened up and next weekend I will put a final coat and the finish layer and then sand it down.

Repairs progressing well now to the inside of the boat. Can I use 3/8 cdx on the inside floor of the boat if I coat it with resin or epoxy

thanks for all the information

bucrebuild

Cadet

Well it has taken me longer than I thought and I have a question about putting on bottom paint. The temps here in Alabama during the winter average around 50 degrees. I am working outside and can put a plastic tent around the hull of the boat if that is necessary to warm it up. Some of the guys at the marina where I am working on the boat just to wait til spring. I also am thinking about painting the upper hull any suggestion.

:):):)