Starter issues Chevy straight 6

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Need some advice please.
Have a 1973 IMP Pawnee with a 165hp straight 6. Just bought "as is". Owner claimed it needed a starter and battery and shift cable.
Replaced starter (NO FUN) but seems the starter gear is not engaging the flywheel, makes a clunk clunk noise (to be technical, haha).
I did make a mistake and bought an automotive starter, there was also an API # 100096 starter that the prev owner said was the wrong starter. I installed this one as well, but it seems the bolts are too long, everything else lines up (It is a gear reduction starter that is half the weight of the auto starter). I used washers to secure it tightly, but it seemed to spin and not engage the flywheel at all. Broken back and fingers, very frustrated. Any help is appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter issues Chevy straight 6

First of all, can you turn the engine by hand? If you can, then get the PROPER Starter for that engiine and new bolts.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Don, Thanks for the quick response. I am glad I found this great site.
I pulled the plugs to try and turn the motor today, however the linkage control cable for this is broken, I tried this manually but it didn't seem to go into gear. I was guessing I could get it in gear then turn the prop to see if the motor turned.
I apologize for being so naive.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There is a nut on the front of the crank .Or back at the starter use a screwdriver to turn the flywheel.Remove the plugs it will turn easier.Jerry

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Jerry thanks..
First thing tomorrow I will yank the starter and try the screwdriver/flywheel.
I really hope she turns, or else there will be a billion more qustions about hydrolock, (I think thats what its called)

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0

JustJason

Vice Admiral

make sure you turn the motor clockwise as viewing from the front, or else you'll trash the waterpump.

chiefalen

Captain

Look if it don't turn, remove the out drive.

That could be the reason it don't turn.

But i agree with Don S it got to be the right starter, right bolts, and marine.

This a merc, omc?

Out drive a merc, omc?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Chief & Cpt,
Thanks
Yes it is a mercruiser outdrive...

ziggy

Admiral

i've never tried rotating a L6 via the flywheel. perhaps that works good. both L6's i've had, had no nut on the harmonic balancer. strictly friction, press fit. nothing to drive the crank over with. in lew of no nut. i use a strap wrench on the waterpump wheel. via the belt ya can turn the engine over. w/o plugs. sorry. don't know th name of it. it's above the crank (harmonic balancer)

get a marine rated starter......

chiefalen

Captain

I didn't mention to pull the spark plugs.

Strap a good idea.

Whats the oil look like?

I would shoot in each plug hole some pb blaster before trying to turn it over bye hand. Let it sit and shoot it again in each hole.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

rained all day here in SWFL...But Chiefalen...What the heck is PB Blaster?
I have the next 3 days off and plan on getting a lot done to my beast.

Thanks again, I am downloading the service manual as we speak from Don S's thread I found..

chiefalen

Captain

It is a penetrating oil. Wal-mart has it.

chiefalen

Captain

I reread your post, you just got this boat.

I would pull the out drive, has to come off anyway.To check boots and bearing.

Than i would get over to wal-mart and get 2 cans of pb blaster. This stuff is just amazing to me the new penetrating oils they have now a days.

If you come a cross a rusted bolt hit it with the pb. Wait a few minutes and hit it again.

Can't tell you how many rusted bolts in the last month this stuff has loosened for me.

Than i would get to turning the motor bye hand. But like i posted before the drive might be locking up the motor.

After you get the drive off you can try it again with the starter. Shoot the cylinders with the pb before you crank.

Before you crank pull the valve cover off, what it look like? You can shoot everything with pb there too. Valves rusted, push rods look ok.

Motor oil what that look like, when you got it?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ok no rain today! Thank God, I will actually have a full day to wrench!
ChiefAlen,
I just got this boat last weekend, it had been sitting for 6 months since its last time on the water. I tell ya, that PB blaster would have come in real handy when I was pulling the plugs, actually broke #4 plug but was still able to get her out. They all looked fairly normal, charcoalish white..
Oil looks OK, not milky but mos def needs to be changed.
I deeply appreciate all this good advice and will let you all know how it progresses. This is my first I/O, had a 17 foot with a old Evinrude Lark 35hp back in So Cal when I was a kid, so its a whole new world for me.

amazing how much "fun" you can have with a $200.00 purchase huh?

chiefalen

Captain

No way sat for 6 months and broke spark plugs.

Or the plugs ain't been changed in six years haaaa.

Paid 300 for my pos and its close to 3 grand now with the new old motor i just installed.

And all i wanted was the trailer the boat sat on.

The motor started in my driveway after 8 years of sitting after only a half hour of tinkering.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

ya know I am starting to think 6 years is more like it...
No go on the flywheel turning w/screwdriver..Before I get in over my limited sunburnt bald head and start with the outdrive...
Shouldnt I (in theory) be able to manually pull the shift lever into gear? This may be stupid, but there doesnt need to be any electricity running for sensor switches or the like?
Also seem to have sprung a leak in the hydrolic hose that operates raising the OD..More fun but that I will worry about IF, I mean when this thing fires..:mad:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Yes, you should be able to shift into and out of gear without any problem. Electricity not needed. ;)

Without the engine running, put the shifter in forward, then go and turn the prop counterclockwise. It should lock into place. When you turn it clockwise it should "ratchet."

Then put the shifter in reverse and the prop should lock in place when turned clockwise.

In neutral the prop should spin freely in any direction.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Before I get in over my limited sunburnt bald head and start with the outdrive...

You will need to pull the outdrive eventually. You may as well do it now. It isn't hard to do. Put the shifter in forward gear, remove the six nuts holding the outdrive on, remove the aft trim rams. (You can take the nut off the ends and pull the trim rams off of the post). The outdrive will then be able to be removed.

It MAY be stuck, but who knows, you might luck out and have it come right off. If it is stuck there are a few tricks to try, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Fishermark,
Thanks for joining in with the advice..Assuming I am pulling on the correct lever, the "L" ish shaped arm behind the motor and bolted directly to the stern wall..No matter what position I put it in, I guess starboard is "forward", middle "Nuetral" and fully to Starboard is "Reverse"...
But the prop spins freely in all positions.....uh-oh time?

p.s. I owe you a beer at Fishermans Village one day!