1982 9.8 merc impeller installation

MTLS123

Recruit
The impeller in the water pump of my 9.8 mercury was shot. I removed all the debris and ordered the new part. In removing debris I found a small flat rectangular metal part. After looking at the skematic for the lower unit, I realized this was the key. I did not notice where it came from when I pulled the old impeller off the shaft. In looking at the bottom of the shaft it looks like maybe the key fits flush against the shaft and the impeller goes over the top. I'm not sure about the location and need some help with the process of inserting the key and new impeller. :confused: Thanks in advance for the help.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1982 9.8 merc impeller installation

Yes, indeed-y, that's the impeller key and she won't pump much without it. A really Pesky design that Merc did, it can be quite a pain to 'wind' the impeller down into the pump while keeping the key from falling off the shaft. A dab of grease will help.

I've even heard of fellows superglueing the flat of the key to the flat of the shaft. Sounds interesting, maybe I'll try that next time!

The main thing is to keep the impeller key straight, so that when the impeller is inserted into the pump, the raised portion of the key properly engages the grooved portion of the brass center of the impeller.

Meanwhile, this old post should help you git 'er dun:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=252503

HTH.........ed

MTLS123

Recruit
Re: 1982 9.8 merc impeller installation

Thanks emckelvy! A little silicon did the trick. It also helped to make a mark up the shaft above the grove in the key to keep the impeller aligned. Thanks again. :)