Any suggestions for cutting tree limbs???..

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer
At my Cabin, I have a big limb which is over my boat lift. Also, now that I have built a deck by the water, the limb is now blocking the wife?s view of the water. (and my daughter says the tree is blocking her ability to suntan. ( I think its more preventing her from being seen suntanning from the water ? can you say Guy fishing)

I put a roof on the lift, so I don?t get acorns and such in the boat. The main problem is I saw a situation on the lake where lightning split a branch and it came down across his docks and sunk all his boats!

Well, I want to cut the limb off before that happens ( and to get sun onto the deck). But they can?t get a truck down to the water with a boom. A poll saw is too short, unless I put a ladder on the roof on the lift. But when I cut the limb, it would swing into me!:eek: . I don?t want to be on America?s dumbest videos! :rolleyes: Someone else suggested a electric poll saw, and duck tape more polls to extend the reach from the deck. Sure, an electric chain saw on a 20 + foot poll hanging over the water ( sounds like a Red Green episode to me). :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should wait till winter, and rent a lift, then drive it on the ice (Just won?t tell them were I?m going with the lift). Cut the limb that way.

Ideas?

Cool, I figured out how to put pics in here, I'm a happy camper! :D :D

Olde Pharte

Cadet
Re: Any suggestions for cutting tree limbs???..

Why not call a "professional" tree trimmer and get a quote.

Here at Lake of the Ozarks, we have many situations such as yours and the tree trimmers are able to get it down with out too many issues.

As far as the electric pole saw, I have one and only use it on GFI circuits and had no problems. But then, I have never had it hit the water either. You may have to make a dozen or so cuts starting from the end and work towards the trunk. And if you do it yourself when the lake is frozen over, you won't have to worry about getting wet.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Deed that cabin to me and your worries will be over. ;)

Carphunter

Commander

Is there any way to drop the whole tree the opposite direction of your boat dock? I can't really tell from the picture.​

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Having done some climbing work in the past (although very limited) unless your comfortable climbing and roping the branch as you cut it. Id stick with Olde Pharts suggestion, for your near term fix. If you can wait, the bucket truck from the ice is a great idea.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Deed that cabin to me and your worries will be over. ;)

200k and its yours!

This is the kids school funds! ( may as well have fun with the funds while the kids are young! - better return then in stocks now. you should have seen it when I bought it! places here are going for 300K+ I got it for 40K, recently apprazed at over 200k, not bad for 4 years!

Someone suggested I keep the limb, move some docks, and add a rope, then the kids can swing from the deck into the water. Extream rope swinging!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would go with a professional and let them climb. The other plus would be have it done AFTER the leaves are gone.

tommays

Admiral

Even in big bux Ny it was pretty cheep to let a Pro do it compared to me getting a wack :eek:

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will need to see a photo of your daughter suntanning to properly determine the amount of tree limb overhang and recommend an appropriate course of action.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

I will need to see a photo of your daughter suntanning to properly determine the amount of tree limb overhang and recommend an appropriate course of action.

She's only 16, who thinks she is 21, and already knows all the guys on the lake. If shes not getting enough attention, she lays out on the green pontoon/deck down by the water.

I think I should get that gun collection that my wifes dad had showed me way back when!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Tie a rope to the branch and have a few adults pull it towards the deck while it is cut off at the tree. Cut slowly, and at some point the branch will start to give way under the tension of the rope and should be able to be pulled clear of the boat as it drops to the deck.

nick2000gmc

Recruit

A thought that might be cheaper is to stop a local lineman and see if he might climb it on the side for some extra money, you cut and haul it away yourself and he climbs the tree for you. The problem I have with these tree crews is a lot of the time they are just a guy who thinks he knows what to do, where as a lineman is a trained professional who has trimmed trees around power lines

CBC

Seaman Apprentice

Don't hire anyone that is not licensed, bonded, and insured. Thing most people don't realize is that if you hire an unlicensed person and they get hurt, your home owners insurance WILL NOT COVER YOU... and you are liable for that injury, you could lose everything you own or ever will own.

Get a wire saw and 2 ropes, throw over limb, toss another rope over limb and pull it away from dock as other poster suggested, etc.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Around here utility lineman climb poles and contractors climb trees for trimming. Any good pole climber knows his climbing spikes won't work well on trees.

Pay the price and get a pro tree-trimmer.

Splat

Lieutenant

Too bad your in Iowa. If you were closer I would just grab my set of tree Gaffs and climb it for you.

Bill

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

I definitely agree with CBC. Make darn sure you see there insurance papers. Here in Northern California, I have seen trees fallen uphill. They cut a notch in the tree then place a jack in it. Pretty impressive.

Fly Rod

Commander

Chineese Proverb:

He who puts ladder on outside of limb to be cut says, "OOPS!"

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Don't stand under it when you cut it.

Don't stand, sit, or hang on the outside of the limb you're cutting.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I think BobVT would agree with me that you could quite successfully prune that limb with a 45-70 and have a little fun in the process - neighbors might not like it though.:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I think BobVT would agree with me that you could quite successfully prune that limb with a 45-70 and have a little fun in the process - neighbors might not like it though.:D

A 500 grain topped about 8' of a pine tree at the range one day and it was instant! I was going to suggest a rifle cut but he is worried where it will land.:D