gimbal bearing

j1539f

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta sx 2002. I had the boat in to be winterized and when I picked it up they said the gimbal bearing sounded rough and should consider replacing in the near future. Is it ok to wait until next spring to have this done? I did notice toward the end of the summer the bilge would have water in it and wondered where it was coming from. Brand new to boating and have learned quite a bit this year with a lot left to learn. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: gimbal bearing

You don't say where you boat, but since you need to have it done away, why wait for the spring? Will you be doing the work yourself? If you boat in salt water, the longer you wait, the more time for corrosion to make the job more difficult. If you have a marina do it, I would think they are more likely to be backed up in the spring.

If it is a money situation - then, THAT I unfortunately understand! :(

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

it wont matter when you fix it but you might want to make sure there is'nt any water in the bellows by pulling the drive.
i think its better to service in the fall. you have fresh oil and grease in the u-joints and gimbal bearing and if you do find problems you have all winter to sort them out.
allso if you do have water in there its going to set and rust and get harder to work on the longer it sets

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

There is a possibility that you have water in your bellows from a hole or tear.....
I'm not a Volvo guy, but I would think 'winterizing' should include pulling the drive & inspecting & lubing the u joints & gimbal bearing.....
This should be done at layup to prevent it from sitting all winter & potentially causing more problems, + it gives you all winter to get it fixed if there is a problem(s).....
I'd be pulling the drive & having a look now....;)

j1539f

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I won't be doing the work myself, not that knowledgeable. We boat in fresh water in MN. Does anyone have a clue on what this should cost to have done? My boat guy charges $30 an hour for labor and I see the part is around $50 bucks or so.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

not sure how long a shop would take but i can tell you it took me 6 hr. from the time i started to the time i had the muffs on and testing. i had bearing on hand and a gasket kit and went slow and checked and double checked the manual each step. i would think a shop could do it in half that time or less. i sure some one can tell you

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some mechanic. He reinstalls the drive, then tells you that the gimbal bearing is bad. So now you have to pay again to have the drive pulled. Nice guy.

chiefalen

Captain

I was wondering why he didn't call when it was apart.

Oh well 30 bucks a hour ain't bad but i would ask him what his flat rate for changing it out.

Maybe i miss read the post did he pull the drive?

Or just winterize the motor, and changed the drive oil?

Whatever should be done now.

Guys how is that bearing lubed with a zerk in the boat?

j1539f

Cadet

He just winterized the boat and changed the drive oil. The quote on the slip was "gimbal bearing sounds rough, should consider replacement in the near future". I just wasnt sure what the near future was. I actually have a different guy that does the work on the boat for me, this was the local marina that winterized. I'll be calling my other guy today to see what he suggests doing.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Some mechanic. He reinstalls the drive, then tells you that the gimbal bearing is bad. So now you have to pay again to have the drive pulled. Nice guy.

i read it to mean he hadnt pulled the drive as he said it sounded bad
your right eather way. he should have pulled the drive as a part of the winter service and if he did, then called.

the only other thing was if this was a fall oil change speical and drain block.
the dealer i delt with does this in hopes of getting boats in the shop, then look for any thing they can to get more work. kind of like the free tire and brake inspection at auto shops

any wayj539f let us know what your other guy says

j1539f

Cadet

I talked to my boat guy last night, he installs i/o's for a major boat company and I really trust him. He said doesnt need to be done right now, that just do it in the spring before we start boating again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I doubt that you can really tell if a gimbal bearing is going by sound without the drive pulled unless it is already gone. The best and only way, in my opinion, is to pull the drive and feel it turn by hand.

Just because he installs I/Os for a boat company does not make him a good mechanic.