What do the watchers think of the boaters?

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
I have often noticed people parked at the boat launch areas, and watching
the boaters launch and load up their boats. Some bring food, and eat while
watching. Others use binoculars to watch.

Anybody else notice them, or is my imagination getting carried away?
What are they watching for? What do they think of boaters?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: What do the watchers think of the boaters?

Go to the Stupid Human Tricks forum and you'll find the answer to your question.

zach103

Commander

some sit at the end of docks and yell at anyone who creates a wake in a no wake zone

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

some of the most fun i've ever had was sittin at the beach near the launch watchin people

aspeck

Staff member

Yep, sitting by the ramp watching the newbies struggle and refusing help is great fun. Shucks, watching some of the old timers struggle is fun! Recently watched a guy use 2 people on ropes, plus HE GOT IN THE WATER (up to his neck) to guide his boat on the trailer properly ... it was an 18 footer! It took him 30 minutes at the ramp just to get it hooked up and pulled out of the water! I was afraid he was going to get run over. OH, and it was an EZ-Loader trailer! Should have been a 5 minute or less job!

Yep, can be entertaining at times!

D

DJ

It's great entertainment. A bit twisted perhaps but entertainment none the less.

I do help, whenever I can. Most folks will just swear you off (swear at you). A little too much pride is a dangerous thing.

If they don't want freindly advice, then they open themselves up to the spectators.

ebry710

Ensign

I was talking to a buddy today. We thought it would be fun to rate boat launching like the Olympics do.....but on second thought, on a bad day I might get rated and not appreciate it.

Once while I was putting in evidently someone was watching me I didnt see. He had a radio control replica of what looked like the titanic (about 3 feet long) and I didnt see it untill I started to power away from the ramp. It pulled up beside me and we both went on our way away from the ramp. After about 50 yards he turned it around,cool

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think many are people who love boats but can't afford one. They just like to be around them and some probably hope to be offered a ride.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I did it in the past when I had a boat, did it when I didn't have a boat, and do it sometimes now that I have one again.

For me it is not any different than going to the race track to watch historic race cars, motorcycles, and cruise the pits, or to one of the local airports to watch the small planes do takeoffs & landings.

I like the feel, sound, & smells of all things motorized, find pleasure in participating myself, and just enjoying watching other people like myself doing what they like to do.

As Jay mentioned, you also hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will ask if you want a ride. Sometimes they do. I in exchange do also, if the people seem sympathetic and really interested.

I especially like taking young fathers and sons out for a short spin. The excitement on the kids face when they get to take an unexpected boat ride is priceless, even if it is just for a few minutes. :D

captquest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, it's really strange. I have been launching and retrieving boats for years, but I still love just hanging around a ramp with my daughter and watching. You can tell a lot about the boater just by observing their launch/retrieve system. From the professional guide that some times gets to cocky "powerloading" and rams the bow stop. to the old Jon boat retriever that has it down and is out in two minutes flat. I especially enjoy the rich guys with the big fancy boats that don't have a clue what they are doing and take forever and forget half their stuff in the car or cant' seem to start their brand new cabin cruiser. My daughter and I will rate the captains .. "He's pretty good I would go out with him" ... or "no way you'd catch me in his boat", "his passengers don't know how much danger their in". lol
On the other hand , I have had a couple of ladies ask me for a ride when launching, and being single it was a real joy showing them the waters of Tampa Bay. "The skyline view is a bit different from here, huh girls?" I love it!

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When someone offers to help me at the ramp, I always accept - even if I don't need it. I've met a number of great folks that way; they must be decent if they're offering to help in the first place.

You never know when you may run into them again and will really require some assistance.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's better than T.V:D

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I have to admit that I used to do some watching at the boat launches,
and I occasionally still do. Before I ever had a boat, I'd watch, and it was
fascinating to see the organized deep v boaters load up and take off with a
smooth thunder. Never thought I'd have a boat, but turns out I have had a
couple now and then.

Just this summer I had occasion to camp not too far from a launch, and when
I wasn't boating, I'd sit with binoculars and watch the boats take off and
cruise the bay. I still chuckle when I see a tri-hull bouncing like a basketball
on the waves. Don't mean to offend, but I have felt the bouncing painful
wave slapping. I lost a boating friend from that, as I refused to go in his tri-hull
again, and he took offense to that. Oh, well.

As for the watching, I guess it's somehow a part of the recreation, kind of
like posting and reading about boating on the internet.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Entertainment, appreciation, education......................not necessarily in that order. :D:D:D

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm a people watcher. It's fun watching everyone else's way of doing things. I learn by watching and repeating the right way. Like everyone else has said, it's entertainment, and a way to learn.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

On the other hand , I have had a couple of ladies ask me for a ride when launching, and being single it was a real joy showing them the waters of Tampa Bay. "The skyline view is a bit different from here, huh girls?" I love it!

Sure, capt..like "I really am sorry we're on this sandbar, now we could make light of things and spend some time here. The tide should be coming in any time now"

or, as a big ol mullet jumps close by "Sure there are aligators in salt water...maybe you should snuggle up here a little closer"

or..."That big thing there is a manatee...we have to be real careful he doesn't tip over the boat...move a little closer here, sweetie"

well....they seemed to work for me as a single guy on Tampa Bay.....:D:D:p

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

I rarely linger any longer than neccessary at a ramp. But last Saturday I stuck around for a few minutes to help a family who'd just had carbs rebuit get it started. Just took cowling off and gave trottle a little lift. They were very grateful. Here's the kicker. No sooner than they had pulled there empty trailer out of the water - here comes "ACE" with his 32" lift and deafening exhaust backing up with his wife already in the boat to speed up the launch. As he backed in deep the boat started drifting to the side. I assumed that the boat had lost complete contact with the bunkers and was swinging on the winch untill I noticed water coming over the transom. Nope, "ACE" had forgotten to remove his transom straps. It actually continued to float. I was impressed. THAT is one very good reason people like to hang out at the ramps. We will all be someone's entertainment at the ramp in one way or another before it's over

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

I went to the ramp of a new to me lake the other day. just wanted to get a feel for where the ramp was located and how it was "run".
I have to say on that lake, that day, what a mess. haven't taken the boat there yet. may on a week day. was fun to watch the confusion though.

i sometimes go to the big lake (michigan) ramps just to watch the boats go by. I just love to be near the water.