frustrated

tshupe5

Seaman Apprentice
Re: frustrated

Thank you Rodbolt, you have really come through with the great advice once again. I will tear down the carbs this weekend and get things rolling(FLOATING).

tshupe5

Seaman Apprentice

still running the same.I have not had time to tear carbs down.I am still running the boat. Do you think it is safe to run it without causing damage?

James R

Commander

Well here is my two pennyworth. Dont run with suspect carbs. You will burn the motor up. Take the carbs off and use the Carb cleaner kit made by the manufacturers of Gunk products. Just a few bucks from Advance Auto. Strip the carbs soak them and the jets good. Follow the directions on the can. Do not use this so called, Spray type, carb cleaner. It will do damage.
Use new gaskets and you will get a good job. Even if there is no sign of build up in the float bowls the little drillings and jets can still be blocked. When you have finished use Stabil in your fuel and forget about carb's for a while.

tshupe5

Seaman Apprentice

I bought the gumout carb and parts cleaner kit from advaced auto> I tore down the carbs and soaked the jets and bowl. Someone told me not to soak the carb body itself. I dont know what to do. Should i soak the body also?

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I tore down the carbs and soaked the jets and bowl. Someone told me not to soak the carb body itself. I dont know what to do. Should i soak the body also?

No, as per Rodbolt's advice below

carbs on that engine are very simple do clean as the pilot fuel jet and themain jets are located in the fuel bowls.
remove and dissasemble the bowls,soak just the bowls and jets,spray the carb body out DO NOT soak the carb bodys.
reassemble with new bowl gaskets and main jets orings as applicable. no need for full kits normally unless the needles are leaking which causes flooding at low speeds and doesnt fit your description.