suzuki DT 50/55/60??? Can anybody i/d this?

I've bought a suzuki 2 cylinder 2 stroke outboard.
The number is 05502 802855. It's manual start with no PTT.
Does anybody know what model, HP and/or year this is? I'm having problems getting servicec parts.

Cheers

Andrew

James R

Commander
Re: suzuki DT 50/55/60??? Can anybody i/d this?

O5502 is not a good number. The number is probably 05501. If this is the case then the motor is a 1987.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum ;) ...... you have a 1988 model 55hp suzuki 2-stroke ... enjoy ....

JamesR

Thanks - but it's definitely 05502 on the plate.

Andrew

Deejaycee 2000

Thanks very much. I needed the info to get hold of service parts. This will be going to sea without a backup engine so I want to sort it first. So I needed a reference point for impellers, fuel pump gaskets, maybe carb parts etc.

And this is a twin cylinder engine. In the UK there's no reference to any 55HP twins, so I guess it's an import.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

James R

Commander

Go to WWW.brownspoint .com. Click on parts. Click on whichever you think might be the motor and look at the drawings to identify the motor from the parts shapes etc. It could be that someone has switched the power head or the transom mount. Incidentally is the motor in its original paint. If so what is the color or colour if you prefer.

James R

Commander

Andrew. Found 5502. looks like it could be DT50 1983. That series starts 5503-30000. Check on the brownspoint to confirm.

Thanks JamesR for the help.

I haven't been able to find ANY 2 cyl DT55s on any sites or in any manuals. All I can find in that sort of HP range are the DT50/DT60/DT65 2cyl models. BUT, as you have said, the serial number is 05502.

Doesthis mean that the engine's definitely rated as 55HP? If so, then it's a 55HP 2 cyl, which as far as I can tell, doesn't exist!!

The reason I'm worried about this is that I can't get any UK engineers to do any servicing, and I can't get parts to service the lump myself.

I don't really want to find out what if anything's wrong in the middle of the English Channel. The engine starts OK, but I've only run it on water muffs so idle etc is a bit difficult to judge.

My plan was to take the two carbs off, blow through the main jets, idle airways etc, replace the points & maybe replace the water pump impeller(although I hear that's a pig of a job???).

Once I've got a reasonable idea that the basics are OK, I want to take it for a run out at sea.

So - I'm still not 100% sure what this 2 cylinder, 05502 engine is. It says "55HP" on the cover but it might be a replacement cover from another engine. It's white, with a white leg (it looks original - scratches doen't show any other colour underneath). Is it really a DT 50 or 60? Or does anyone know of a DT 55 2 cylinder Suzuki?

Cheers

Andrew

............Re I/D on this engine, I've just looked at the Brownsfield site and the DT50 has separate coils - mine's got one coil with 2 HT leads coming out of it. It's also got a sort of rectangular fule pump - the DT50 on Brownfield seems to have a round pump.

James R

Commander

Andrew.As one Limey to another this looks like a bit of swapping on year components. Could be an 84 fuel pump. If you look at the drgs for the 83 it shows different setups for the coils which include the two output type coils that you have noted. There is no 55HP two cylinder so a 55HP cover has had to be fitted as a replacement. I have looked through the various years and models and come the conclusion that you have an 83 DT50 modified. There are no points in any of the models. Your white color indicates a pre 88 model. I have a bunch of 88 model motors in my shop and they are silver. I have rebuilt white models and they were 86s and earlier. Replacing the water pump is easy.
a Seloc or similar manual would be of great help.
Love the Suzuki's, great motors.

A question for James R or anyone who can help

Jams R - in your helpful reply late September say "there is no 55 HP two cylinder". I know that's what all the references say. But the serial number plate on my engine says "DT55 05502-802855". AND it's a twin cylinder!

So the engine's telling me it's a twin 55 HP. I still can't match parts. For example, the water pump impeller for 55 HP engines fits a 16mm drive shaft. My drive shaft is 20mm. As my impeller is shot, that's a big issue!

I did read an entry in an old 2001 iboats message someone referring to a 1989 55 HP twin Suzuki which they said was 800cc.

Can anyone throw any more light on this?? Any help gratefull received!

Andrew