Winterizing

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's best , gas tank almost empty or full ?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterizing

I always leave mine less than half. Make sure you have fuel preserver in the tank and run through before you store for the winter. I usually double up on the preserver. You should be good till spring then.

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My tank is now full . I don't think that I will be able to empty it before the season ends . So I guess alot of fuel preserver will be needed .

thx for your reply !

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Should be O.K. just use a lot of preserver and give it a really good run at the start of next season. We usually chase ducks, gulls and geese on Lake St Clair on our last trip of the season till the gas gauge gets under half then head in !!!!

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

No worries empty or full since boats have water separator in the event of condensation. As said, in your case lot's of gas stabilizer should do the trick.

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finaly made a decision to winterize my boat today . The bad weather and my 4 month old daughter are the two main reasons .

I'm taking the time to make sure the boat is in mint condition before storage . The dealer will take care of the motor at the end of the week .

Should I apply wax on the hull now or wate till spring ?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

No harm in a coat of wax at anytime. I usually give mine a wax before it "sleeps" for the winter. I also armorall the seats and upholstery.

roypretty

Cadet

what do you do for the engine? i have a 1989 120 hp johnson vro outboard

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

what do you do for the engine? i have a 1989 120 hp johnson vro outboard

There are many threads with this info. You can do a search or if you want me to send you the info send me a P.M. or post back and I will post it here.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Full with Stabil has worked in mine for 20+ years. If the tank is full, it is less likely to rust inside.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Full with Stabil has worked in mine for 20+ years. If the tank is full, it is less likely to rust inside.
Agree with that for steel tanks. Tank in my boat is an aircraft type aluminum.

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did the exact same thing with a motor bike once . The gas tank was made of steel . Full + Stab
I thought it was the same for my boat .

octane

Seaman Apprentice

I usually like to have a full tank, and use stabil (this year I'm using the new marine stabil that has more rust inhibitors)

I never had any boats with a water separator, and never had any problems.

a good coat of wax is a good thing, but as a minimum a good cleaning of the hull is a must.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I usually like to have a full tank, and use stabil (this year I'm using the new marine stabil that has more rust inhibitors)

I never had any boats with a water separator, and never had any problems.

a good coat of wax is a good thing, but as a minimum a good cleaning of the hull is a must.

What is it called ??? I will be adding mine tomorrow but have not got it yet. I would like to try it.

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just received my boat from the dealer . They applied acid on my hull to remove all staines *** per work order . Boat is now mint condition except underneath the boat . They did not touch it .

I think that they were just lazy and did not bother to remove the trailer while applying the acid .

They will see me again this week for sure...

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Were they meant to do the entire hull ???

Good question , I guess I should have mentioned it in the begening at the dealer .
I'm still in the process of cleaning the interior before I get the boat shrinked for the winter . Then I will return and ask for them to hopefully finish the job...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good question , I guess I should have mentioned it in the begening at the dealer .
I'm still in the process of cleaning the interior before I get the boat shrinked for the winter . Then I will return and ask for them to hopefully finish the job...
I dont blame you. They should do it all for you.

Salty Fresh

Cadet

The recomendation for winter storage is full. Because of condensation happening when left empty.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The recomendation for winter storage is full. Because of condensation happening when left empty.

Good point, however no matter what there is always an air space. Just more when it is less full. I have had no issues thus far with what I do.