This could be the one -

sonny08

Cadet
1988 Sportcraft Offshore 27 foot. Powered by a 350 Hp (454) Crusader coupled
with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive. Boat has just been re-done completely in Imron
coating & appears new! Has newer camper top enclosure & seats have been redone. Total hours are 650. A 1 owner meticulous maintained vessel.

Now I would be a little nervous about that single screw operation - I can just imagine a windy day & trying to dock in a tighter area (this is a big boat - well for me anyway) Its hard enough sometimes with an outdrive to dock in windy conditions - those of you that have single screw drives such as this is it hard to learn the ins & outs? - are they easier to operate than an outdrive?

I know the crusader power plant is the best - not sure about the drive & does anyone know about the Sportcraft boats? & wondering about the Gallons per hour usage at cruising speeds -

Also there is no trailer - so wondering if a double axle or a triple axle trailer

Regards

Sonny

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: This could be the one -

great engine, and drive system. Sport craft builds a great boat. have it surveyed. as said "you can put lipstick on a pig".

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

One thing you need to remember with a single screw inboard is that you will have no steering ability if there is no water passing over the rudder. It will take a few times to figure this out. Best thing for you to do is is find a good location that offers you plenty of dock space - at an ebb tide - an just practice. From there you can add windage and tidal current until you get comfortable. It really is a lot different then using a gimbled lower unit.
Your choice of trailer will be entirely up to the weight of your boat.

tashasdaddy

i think you are looking at a triple axle, dry weight is 57-5800 lbs. it also has to accommodate the drive system.

sonny08

Cadet

Well looks like this will not be the boat - problems finding a trailer ( & cost ) added together with the price of boat = more than I want to spend
So back to the Craig's Lists & such.

Anyone know anything about the 89 Wellcraft Classic Hulls? Where these hand laid glass hulls?

Regards & Thanks

Sonny

tashasdaddy

wellcraft builds an excellant boat. i'm seeing a lot of old wellcrafts being repowered, because they like their boats.