mercury vs mariner

naladog

Recruit
I am in need of advise I have a 1980 90 6cyl power trim and tilt on a 15 ft tri-hull that has recently lost a switch box and when dissusing the problem with my mechnic was offer a tarde, my 1980 90 6cyl pt/tm for a 1995 100hp 4cyl mariner and a thousand dollars I find the offer too be good, my problem is that i do not know anything about mariner engines and what if any is the difference is it a GMC/chevy thing or were their serious difference is seems like it would be a great improvement to gain 15 years newer oil injected and 10 more horse power but i have the 90hp for three years and other than hard starting it has never let me down so I am confused???????

any advise is apperciated.

:confused:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: mercury vs mariner

Big difference between Mercury and Mariner!

One is gray and the other is black. Once the paint's removed... no difference at all....

I would be a little suspicious of someone offering me that deal... What's wrong with the 100? Take it out on a boat and test run it.. do compression tests... Be aware that those engines run on 2 cylinders when below about 1800rpm.. also there is quite a weight difference between your in-line 6 crossflow (290lbs/131kgs) and the big 4 cylinder looper (360lbs/163kgs).

Chris........