Question on impeller failure

aarontx

Cadet
Hello all,

Went out on the lake last week with my '97 Volvo SX for 4-5 hours and did some cruising and sking, at the end of the day I had an overheat problem.

Ran for a couple minutes of WOT. When I came down to slow throttle I noticed the temperate guage rising to around 210. I shut then engine down and let it cool for alittle while then turned back on. Was at around 175 then climbed back to 210 or so pretty quick so I shut it down and got towed back.

First thing I did when got back home was take impeller out of sea water pump. All of the fins looked good and rubber seemed like it was still in good shape. When I spun the pulley the impeller would not spin, but the pulley and shaft spun very easily.

The impeller seperated from the brass plug it is molded to. Is this a common occurance? There was very fine rubber dust around the brass shaft, I'm guessing from the impeller where it was molded to the brass plug. Any reason the impeller would fail like this? Thanks,

-Aaron

aarontx

Cadet
Re: Question on impeller failure

I have grown up around boats, but I am pretty new to actual ownership, and I had never heard of it before.

When I took the back cover off of the sea water pump, it all looked good and nothing looked damaged. When the pulley was moving easily thats when I thought something was wrong.

Thanks for the reply

-Aaron

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Running without water to the pump will do it.

aarontx

Cadet

Thanks for all the reply's everyone.

I put a new impeller in and started her up with flush muffs. Took about 20-25 seconds to get prime, then it seems to pump fine and motor comes to temp properly. I did backflush the inlet hose with a garden hose, but it did seem to flow ok, and did not see any debris coming out. Also rechecked all the hose clamps and hoses on the cooling system, none of them seemed loose.

I did have one question though, with impeller kit 3862281, what are the 2 rubber circle plugs for? When I took the other impeller apart, it had 1 plug that sat on top of the impeller shaft. I'm guessing that you should put both of those plugs on top of the shaft? Also is there a need to use any type of gasket sealer with the included gasket?

Thanks for the help guys.

-Aaron

aarontx

Cadet

Anyone installed this impeller before happen to know the answer to above question? I was just curious. Thanks again guys for the help.

-Aaron

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The plugs just keep dirt and salt off the shaft. They will push down into the impeller. The oring type seal doesn't get sealant. NO gasket is used on your pump.

aarontx

Cadet

Thanks for the answer. The gasket was a white foam feeling material, and I didn't think it needed a sealer, just wanted to make sure. Thanks again!!

-Aaron