hole in the boat

herd1234

Cadet
I have small gouge in the back of the boat. the gouge is a upside down u shape w/ right angles. the upper right portion pierces the hull. the middle portion of the u is sound except for the upper right corner. i have cleaned out the area w/ some sanding and filling. i may have to use a dremmel drill b/c it is such a sm and tight area.the hull is made of chopped fiberglass w/ gel coat on top i was wondering what to do? do I sand it down and layer fiberglass or fill the hole w/ expoxy+filler? i do plan on putting a white gel coat to finish the priocess. thanks for any input.
rookie

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hole in the boat

back of boat does not tell us much. bottom, transom, gunnel??? picture would help, sounds like it needs backing from inside, then filled.

herd1234

Cadet

It is the transom/stern section; it is within a foot off the bottom of the boat- to the left of the prop. I will have to get a picture for you. Not all of the "u" penetrated all the way through the boat, but the bottom section did. My main concern is getting a good bond, so it diesnt fall out. What kind of backing are you speaking of? Wood/fiberglass/rubber??? The proper prep-work/application is my concern; is there a "bad" way to do this? I'm sure there is, so I want to make sure I am going at it properly.

tashasdaddy

that's why i asked for pictures, kind of boat, pics inside and out.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the pics are nessary for many reasons......

but the basic of hull/gellcoat repairs is simple......grind and feather the area....clean with aceitone and fill with marine-tex or gellcoat.....sand and paint if nessary.......

the area may need to be filled with fiberglass from the back and front depending on the depth of the damage......

if there is any really white fiberglass hairs ....these are no longer able to hold resin....(call them rotted....but thats not the right term) ....the glass needs to be ground and a new layer of csm applied

herd1234

Cadet

i'm going to put pics on the forum as soon as i figure out how to do that.

tashasdaddy

you can up load to a free service like photobucket.com then you choose the pictures you want( clik the little box at the bottom left of the picture) scrool to the bottom of the page, clik generate html, it will take you to the next page, scroll down to thumb nails clik on that and copy, then insert it into your post.

also if you are planing on posting pictures, you can use the Blue post reply or the go advanced, manage attachments, there you can upload , directly from your computer. besure you pictures have been resized to fit the format. 640x480 max.

herd1234

Cadet

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the pics were too small to see anything.......

on photobucket........hit resize......then.....choose 640x 480....

then copy the img tag.....and just past it in the reply post on theis forum

tashasdaddy

also need complete shot of transon to see where it is.

herd1234

Cadet

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thats a really bad spot beacues the transom is behind there. and you cant get behind it unless you re do the transom

i would grind out the area.....(take the gellcoat off)......and check the transom for wet.......it will need to be dryed or it will rot from there.
not just dryed to the touch....but really dryed well.....put a ceramic heater with a fan on it for a week or so.....you might aslo want to add a rot stopper....like git rot.

then add a few layers of glass over it.....that repair could expand from two inches to six......

after it is glassed....i would use gellcoat on that area.......you will allways have a "bump" there.....but you wont have a rotted transom.....

in the hull extension thread.....the first pic shows a aft corner of the boat.....you can see the area is painted a different color......i backed the boat into a pole......i just pushed the transom back into place.....screwed a peice of wood over it from the inside...and glassed it over from the inside.

then a peice of glass or two over the outside and painted it.........

a few pics later you can see the transom being pulled out........half of it is rotted away........thats because i didnt dry the area out before i did the repair

it isnt hard to do......its actually quite simple.....but that area must be done right or it ill really cause you headaches later.

herd1234

Cadet

All boat repair work is new to but i'm definately becoming more familiar w/ it! thank you for the help guys!

herd1234

Cadet

proper steps?

Step 1 open the hole
concerning the git-rot how far do I need to make the hole? right now I can get a pencil lead or slightly larger into the hole approx about a couple centimeters.

Step2 dry the area
I have ceramic fan and the hole is moist. When the area is good and dry apply the git-rot. I've read a little about the product since it was mentioned.

Step 3 prep the outside
Then I need to make the outside area larger to accept the layers of fiberglass in reference to statement that I may need to go from 2 inches to six inches.build up from the hole out( sm to large)? which is a better type of fiberglass for outside patch? I have enough woven fiberglass but it comes apart very easily. I'm sure other types of fiberglass are somewhat easier to cut to shape and overall manage.

Step 4 gel-coat
And after I build up the layers, sand, and clean properly apply the gel-coat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yuppers that s right.....

i would make the whole approx 2-3 inches....let the air get at it.

feather the remaining area around the whole. so the new fiberglass has more of a bonding surface.

use csm for the first layer....(allways csm first if using poly)
then a woven product....then matt again and another woven product.

the thin veil like stuff at wally world or home department store will work well.

each peice of woven fiberglass slightly larger than the last peice.....keep the csm the same size as the layer of woven to go on top of it..