There oughta be a law.

Tyme2fish

Commander
I live in the country and we're about 20 miles from town. Southern Indiana has Harbor Freight and BassPro less than 2 miles apart. I clip coupons for Harbor Freight and use my Rewards Points for Basspro, but dang, I always spend too much money in those places for stuff I want but don't really need.
There oughta be a law about having those stores so close to each other.;)

mthieme

Captain
Re: There oughta be a law.

Yeah, but think of this way.
If they were 20 miles in different directions from you, you'd have to spend 4X as much on fuel to get there.
Think of all the money you're saving !!!
You deserve to treat yourself to a new tool.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

After my buddies wife saw one of his receipts from Bass Pro she informed him he was no longer allowed to visit that establishment without her direct supervision :eek::eek::(.......................So now he just makes me a list.;);):D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You are absolutely correct. It's amazing what you think you really need when shopping there. To keep things real I usually take Mrs Ken with me. She keeps me in check as I have to let her spend as much on "trinkets" for herself if I go over what we actually went for in the first place. (unless it's her idea and she thinks we really need whatever it is)

ebry710

Ensign

I live in the country and we're about 20 miles from town. Southern Indiana has Harbor Freight and BassPro less than 2 miles apart. I clip coupons for Harbor Freight and use my Rewards Points for Basspro, but dang, I always spend too much money in those places for stuff I want but don't really need.
There oughta be a law about having those stores so close to each other.;)

I live close to civilization so I know what Harbor Freight is, but what is BassPro. I think they are building one in Manteca, Ca but the SF Bay area doesn't seen to have one. Is it bigger the West Marine?

Tyme2fish

Commander

Visit Basspro.com and you'll see. Mega big box store and on-line catalog with fishing and hunting gear,etc.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i just stay out of them, myself.

Uraijit

Banned

Don't have a Bass Pro nearby. We have a Cabella's, but I won't be going back, after I was asked to leave for lawfully carrying a firearm (that's right, I was asked to leave a Cabellas for carrying a Firearm in CABELLA'S)!

I do most of my shopping online anyway...

But I have a Harbor Freight about 5 miles away. I can't ever get out of the store with just what I came for. Those sales they have are just Evil. Something that's already just ridiculously cheap, and it's on sale for half that!

And for the most part, their tools are surprisingly good quality. I've got a $15 cordless drill that's been to Hell and back, and still running strong.

Got air ratchets that rival my Ingersol-Rands... Just stay away from their pneumatic impact wrenches. I did buy an electric impact wrench though, and it works great!

Grinders, sanders, saws, buffers, battery chargers, jackstands, tow straps, air compressors, steel stamps, drill bits, sanding wheels, you name it.

Stay away from their cheapo dremels though!

If you're thinking about buying something from there, consult me first, and I can probably tell you if it's good or not. :D

gonefishie

Commander

but what is BassPro. ?

It's a mega mall for men and a super duper strong suction machine. It will suck you dry of many things. Energy from walking around all day, sweat from walking around all day, saliva from drooling over the gazillion of gotta have but can't afford it stuffs, all the game fish of a lifetime you see in the tanks, and their primary purpose--all of the money you came in with. Johny Morris is probably Dr. Evil's half brother. :D

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Women have their stores, so why cant we? unfortunatly, They have more stores then we have! ( And I think they still out spend us). Why wound anyone need 50 purses and 100 pairs of shoes! Think of all the fishing gear you can get for that money!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, but think of this way.
If they were 20 miles in different directions from you, you'd have to spend 4X as much on fuel to get there.
Think of all the money you're saving !!!
You deserve to treat yourself to a new tool.

that's pure evil just adding fuel to the fire like that. :D

SpeedJunkie

Cadet

After my buddies wife saw one of his receipts from Bass Pro she informed him he was no longer allowed to visit that establishment without her direct supervision :eek::eek::(.......................So now he just makes me a list.;);):D

Shopping on the website is not the same as visting...

CATransplant

Admiral

I stay away from Cabela's and all such stores. There's no way to hide it when the debit card log shows that you've been there.

On the other hand, Mills Fleet Farm here in Minnesota has many fine things, including a terrific fishing tackle section, a firearms section, and many other sections of interest to men. It is a veritable Man Mall.

It also sells wild bird seed, appliances, auto parts, and other necessities of life. As long as I bring home one of the other things after a trip to Fleet Farm, I can sneak a few of my things through the register, and all that shows up is the total on the debit card log.

I tell you...the price of wild bird seed just seems to be going through the roof! But, it's worth it. Why just today, the price for a bag went up by precisely the cost of a St. Croix spinning rod that was on sale. Shocking! My wife so enjoys watching the cardinals, etc. at the feeder. And, of course, her car always needs a widget or a framistat repaired, and that danged stuff is really expensive, too. :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When I hear my wife how much she saved by getting something on sale, I tell her I saved 100% by not buying it :D

mthieme

Captain

that's pure evil just adding fuel to the fire like that. :D

Heh. Heh. Thanx.
Just thinking of my own situation.
Bass Pro and Harbor Freight around here are about 25 miles apart...I'm about 13 miles south of HF and at least 20 east of BP.

The last time someone called me pure evil was a blackjack dealer in Vegas when I doubled down on a pair of sixes...and won - three times in less than 10 minutes.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

My brother lives less than 5 miles from a Cabela's. As much as I like to see him and the rest of the family, it's probably a good thing I don't get out there too much.:rolleyes: Now I hear Cabela's will probably build a store by Grand Rapids on a route we go by many times a year.

I will say, my wife and I have both showed much restraint over the years. Still, there are times it's nice to splurge.

So, CAT, tell us about that St Croix spinning rod...