1991 60 horse 3cyl evinrude issues

chansen49

Recruit
Hi,
I just got a new/used boat. I put a new impeller in and the engine pukes water from every hole on the lower half with a little sporadic pee out of the pee hole.. I have removed and recheck the dang thing like 5 times, Im not sure were to look now.. Im stumped and tired..

Thanks for anything to look at

Chris

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 60 horse 3cyl evinrude issues

The water spewing out is probably normal as long as all the pump parts are in place correctly. If all you changed was the impeller you might want to consider the rest of the components, especially the pump liner and plate.

chansen49

Recruit

I bought a whole kit, replaced the plate and all.. This kit said it was superceeded part.. new thermostat spring.. the impeller taken out was 3 blade this one is like 6 or 8..

Im stumped..

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Great! I figured all those goofy 3 blade impellers were gone by now. The new style will be much better. And really good decision about the complete kit.

Did you get the O ring in the grrove between the cup and the housing? Make sure the housing to plate O ring is seated correctly?

chansen49

Recruit

I swear, we dropped the lower half 5 times.. We lightly coat the oring with grey silicone to keep it in place.. How long after the motor fires should the pee start? The shear volume of water coming out of everywhere but the were it should would lead me to believe somethings wrong?... Hooked up to a hose without full pressure from the hose... the thing doesnt act like like my 10 horse merc when hooked up to water..

It just seems that all the water is not making it through the up tube?

thanks again

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You'll probably need to turn the water on full when the motor starts. If you're still unsure, back the boat in the water until the pump is under water. Fire it up, no need to take the boat off the trailer just to test. Or submerge the lower unit in a big tub or bucket.

chansen49

Recruit

So is it normal for water to pour out of everywhere? Do all the lower bolts to the lower half need to be tight before it seals.. we werent tightening all the bolts cause we kept redoing them over and over//....... Could exhaust pressure push all the water everywhere?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, nothing to worry about normally. It's hard to know without seeing it but water will come out there.