here are the pics

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: here are the pics

Sweet little boat! It's a shame the screws got run thru the hull like that.

45Auto

Commander

LMAO at the screws through the hull! If it had been me it would have probably been sitting on the trailer and I would have screwed it to the bunks!

Would have spent a week trying to figure out why I couldn't get it off the trailer when I was ready to launch it!

futurefmlybtr

Recruit

and i have never owned nor restored a boat in my life just obsessed with older classic boats but i do not even know where to start on this thing

zach103

Commander

take the floor out.. its already ruined might as well redo it.. take the screws out and put some marine tex to patch that up.. your gunna have to take off the cap too probably.. read this forum you'll find everything you need..

futurefmlybtr

Recruit

Hi Baby!! You can't think about the negative aspects of this "project", that's only gonna get you down! Just keep thinking about how much fun we are gonna have when it is finished. I know that you'll have fun restoring it and you can be very proud of yourself for doing it. I know I am. I love you very much.

Your lovely wife

cmchesse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is going to be a beautiful boat when your done. Lots of style.

Uraijit

Banned

Wow, I hope you got it for free, that's a LOT of work you've got ahead of you. But no doubt you'll have some serious fun with it.

Your wife is much more positive about your project than my wife (perhaps because you haven't started).

My wife willingly helped with everything, but she was NOT the voice of encouragement in our relationship.... ;)

Just hope that your wife remains positive throughout the whole project. It gets really hard when you're doing most of the work, AND you're having to boost morale. :D

futurefmlybtr

Recruit

yeah the boat was free i just had some questions especially about the transom one of the previous owners put some very thick stainless steel back there and and a big piece of aluminum on the other side will this make the transom strong regardless of what condition the wood inside is

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, without a doubt you have your work cut out for yourself.

Uraijit

Banned

No, if your transom is rotted, the only thing that will make it strong, is repairing/replacing it. Bolting metal to the fiberglass will most likely just damage the fiberglass. The transom gets its strength from being attached to several points, including the hull, cap, and stringers. It all ties in together.

Just bolting random pieces of steel to different parts isn't going to give you any structural integrity, though they might spread SOME of the stresses out across a larger area for the short term.

If you're going to go through with this restoration project, you'll need to repair the transom first thing. It will probably end up being one of the easiest parts of the overall structural repairs you're going to have to do. But the integrity of the entire boat relies on it being good and solid. The stringers will tie into it later, so you need the transom to be solid before you move on to them.

Browse through some of the other threads on here. Many an amateur (and many a pro for that matter) has replaced a transom, and done a good solid job of it. And many of them have documented the progress in words and pictures for the rest of our benefit. Check out Oops' thread.

A lot of stuff in that thread is going to be applicable to your restoration project.

Good luck, and hang on! It's gonna be a bumpy ride. Luckily, you've got a supportive and enthusiastic wife at your side!

Ironpig

Seaman

I'm in the middle of doing the exact same boat. Lots of foam in the stringers and mine was all soaked. I estimate about 600 lbs of water and water logged wood came out of the boat. Having trouble finding time with a new baby on the way.

jcsercsa

Captain

frist Welcome futurefmlybtr !!! OHHH yea that will really make a sweet ride when your done !!!
Its a lot of work [ I just got mine in the water here a few weeks ago !! Man am I ever happy I did all that to her] your wife is right [ she sounds like you got a keeper also, love mine she was there with me on mine also ] i never did a rebuild on a boat before this , if your handy at all you wont have a problem , you need a good mask and some coveralls the trex ones that cover your arms and all !! dont wash your cloths that you grind in , that glass will get on any other cloths that get washed with them !! ask oops about that one !!!! lol

Other then that start with the top , get that off and then get all the old wood out !! and start grinding !! Just keep us posted !! we all will help all we can , so dont be afraid to ask !!!! and again welcome !! John

Soundslikefun

Seaman

No, if your transom is rotted, the only thing that will make it strong, is repairing/replacing it. Bolting metal to the fiberglass will most likely just damage the fiberglass. The transom gets its strength from being attached to several points, including the hull, cap, and stringers. It all ties in together.

I thought that was the case as well until I took out all the rotten wood from my transom. There is no place that the wood was actually attached to anything. The wood just sat in between the fiberglass sandwich.

Is my boat odd in that way?