2 easy questions

tinman565

Seaman
I'm kinda new to all this..so I have 2 easy questions for you guys. First, is a boat measured with or without the ski/swim platform ? I have a 1988 Chris Craft Limited 245. The book says its 24' 6". It has a built in (factory) swim platform (looks like part of the boat), and if I measure it from bow tip to end of platform, its 25' 7". Just curious. Secondly..the outdrive has a anode ( I think ) right above the prop. Mine has a angle, or fin shape to it (it bolts on), and I have seen others that were just a flat disc. Whats the difference ? Is one better than the other ? Thanks. :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 easy questions

1 .....nose to transom.....swim grid not included...

2...... the fin acts as a small rudder to counteract the rotation of the prop.

3....welcome to i boats :)

ziggy

Admiral

for measuring boat loa.... http://www.boat-ed.com/mn/course/p1-1_class.htm

the trim anode on the vent plate is to couteract the torque of the spinning prop so the steering wheel don't try to pull one direction or the other. the adj. is turn the tab the direction it's most easy to steer too. this adj. will be correct for whatever speed your adj. it too. above or below that speed and the steering will still pull some. the anodes w/o the tab generally have power steering which compensates for the torque steer of the prop....

tinman565

Seaman

ok..this rear platform is not a "grid" of any sorts..its actualy part of the boat/hull. I took a picture..but the forum says its too big (wish I knew how to make it smaller..grrrrrr) :( Anyways..so some boats need to counter act the prop, and some dont and just use the flat disc ? Bare with me fellas...I'M A LEARNIN !!!!!!!! lol :D

ziggy

Admiral

sign up with photobucket.com. they'll host yer pics for ya + they let ya resize prior to posting them....

all single screw sterndrives have torque at the prop that effects steering. it's just that if ya have power steering the need for the trim tab is eliminated as the power steering counteracts the prop steer....

Adrift

Seaman Apprentice

On question number one...

Nowadays you have to be careful. I have a new 2008 185 model that is actually a 17.5 with a factory installed add on swim platform. I didn't know this when I bought the boat. Still love the boat but lesson learned.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i dont think the numbers on boat models are very hard and fast. the boat we have now is a 230 yet the over all lengh is 24 and a half feet. our last bay liner was a 19.50 jamaca and yet it was 18' 7".
on your boat if you have power steering you could run a flat anode and and not tell the difference. i had to put a flat one on, to run the props i have as they wouldnt clear. it is also a deep v hull and i think this makes a difference. i couldnt tell the difference. on the other hand. our other boat without power steering and a flatter shorter hull you could feel any small change in the helm

tinman565

Seaman

ok..now Im more corn-fused..lol. My boat has power steering. When I got it, that tab was turned to the starboard side a little (so I figured i'd straighten it)(duh), so now your telling me I may not need one like that ? Anyways, I'm pleased to report that we had it out today..sorta bad chop (actually pretty choppy)..3/4 tank of fuel..stock motor (prolly could use a tune-up)..and a little gear (cooler, ski stuff, etc.). 2 adults in the boat, and it went 58mph on a Garmin GPS. I'm pretty happy with that. Who knows..tune-up..perfect day..less fuel..might reach 60 mph !! ( I know..I'm reachin ). Anyways...love the boat, and thanks for all your help. :D

Attachments

• 0814082019.jpg
    0814082019.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0814082019a.jpg
    0814082019a.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

if you were able to move it and not notice your ok
on our bayliner this adjustment was very sensitive and if not right would cause the boat to pull to one side and turn harder one way and easy to other. you can try it on a still day and see if it pulles a little and turn it back to where it was when you got it and see if it makes any difference. as long as you have one either flat or fin on the most that will be affected is steering tracking and this is easy to adjust by turning the fin one way or the other as you have found. some guys on here can tell you which way to turn to straighten out but i never can rember and just tweek it one way or the other.you figure out real quick if you go the right way cause it will get better or worse

oh nice looking boat!!:) cris craft:) was one of the brands we liked when we found:) our boat:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

great looking boat for an 1988, i have a 1999 230.