Outboard in Saltwater and Freshwater???

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everybody I'm relatively new to boating and just got a 14'6" Northwood Fishing boat. I currenlty only have a 27# trolling motor so it is only being used on lakes; however I'd like to get an outboard for it. Probably a 9.9. Was just curious if outboards can be used in saltwater AND freshwater or if there are specific outboards for saltwater or freshwater.

I live in Northern VA and would like to be able to take her out on the Chesapeak Bay.

Thanks,

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outboard in Saltwater and Freshwater???

they can be used in either, but salt water requires more maintainance, in the motor needs to be washed down, and flushed with fresh water after use. i would really watch the weather if venturing into big water with that size rig.

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

was exactly does a "washdown" entail? just spraying the thing with a hose?

I would'nt be taken her into open ocean, just the Chesapeak Bay which is well protected from the open blue.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

salt is corrosive, where a little or a lot. yes a good hose down, then flush the motors cooling system.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am in saltwater and a flush fanatic. Always do it. That size motor you can use a galvanized steel garbage can if you can still find one. Run it in the can with fresh water, then tilt the motor up and hose rinse the underside and bracket. I also recommend a product called corossion guard put out by mercury. It is an oily wax spray that holds up real well. FRED

mthieme

Captain

The Chesapeake is brackish. Virginia waters are higher in salinity.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

...That size motor you can use a galvanized steel garbage can if you can still find one.

I prefer plastic garbage cans, or any plastic storage tub that is deep enough so that the water is well above the water intake. I think plastic is better than metal, because if you're running it in gear/under load (for instance to adjust the idle) and prop comes in contact with the plastic container, it will not damage the prop - and not seriously damage the plastic either unless you really grind it for a while. Find a container that is large enough, but also fits well underneath your engine when it is either mounted on the boat, the carrying cart (if you have one) or the saw horse you'll use when flushing.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would'nt be taken her into open ocean, just the Chesapeake Bay which is well protected from the open blue.

DO NOT underestimate the power and danger of the "protected" Chesapeake Bay! The Bay can turn very nasty, very quickly. I have seen it go from flat calm to 6' seas in a matter of minutes. The Bay may even be more dangerous at times than the ocean. The Bay, being relatively shallow, develops a choppy motion which can literally beat a boat to pieces, where the ocean is typically a more "rolling" motion. Your boat will be fine for good weather, but you will need to constantly alert because conditions can and will deteriorate very quickly. Always be aware of somewhere that you find shelter in a matter of minutes form your present position.

Last edited: