Winches, Wenches, and more questions

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so now that I've learned the difference between Winches and Wenches, the latter of which being much more fun, I still have a question.
I have decided to go with a manual winch with a strap. I've checked both Iboats and Overton's and have found that the strongest winch they have is a 2,500 pound model. The problem is that I have a '99 Sea Ray 19' Bow Rider. Spec Manual says 3,000 lbs. dry weight, and I am figuring at least 3,500 with fuel and gear. The winch on my trailer right now is a 2,600 pound First Layer, 1,180 pound Full Drum. I called both Iboats and Overton's but the "techies" couldn't answer my question if the 2,500 lbs. winch will work for me. I know I'm not lifting the entire boat weight winching it onto the trailer, but is 2,500 enough? Am I going to have to go with a $400 electric cable winch on this. Ideally, I'd like to get a manual strap winch with a greater weight rating than I need (always like to error on the side of caution). Any specific recommendations?
Thanks,
Erik

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winches, Wenches, and more questions

For most of us....

We drive or float our boats nearly all the way on the trailer, and only winch the last foot or two.

And by using this process I have never needed anything near the pulling capacity of the boat's entire weight.

45Auto

Commander

My boat weighs over 5000 pounds (22' Crownline). Never had any trouble at all winching it onto it's bunk trailer with it's 2500 pound winch.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

google Fulton Winches, they are one of the best. they have bigger winches. here again a 2 speed winch comes in handy. it has too gear ratios.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Generally speaking 50% of your total load should suffice. Make sure you account for everything onboard. Even that cooler full of ice and sodas counts in this exercise.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Furniture polish on the bunks makes it slide eazyer.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about Wenches!