VRO Removal/Bypass/Throw away...Idea?

brownies

Chief Petty Officer
92 Johnson 150 Fast Strike. I want rid of that mess in between the carbs.
My idea is to take that mess of gaskets, warped/cracked plastic housings, and diaphragms off of it COMPLETELY.
Install a Holley Blue electric fuel pump and regulator and just be "done" with it.
Will 5lbs of fuel pressure be about right?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VRO Removal/Bypass/Throw away...Idea?

outboards are not designed to use electric fuel pumps. there is not an oil sump, and pump, for the safety switch for the electrics pump. sounds like good way to mess up a decent motor.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what you mean about not running an elect fuel pump?
AND...What warning system?

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, what I meant was.
Will 5lbs of fuel pressure bypass the needle valve?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As Tashasdaddy. Dont do it !!!!

tashasdaddy

you have no way for a safety switch to cut the fuel pump off if the engine stalls. motors in inboard outboards, are 4 cycle like your car, they have a switch that is activated by the oil pressure. if the engine stalls the pump quits, automotically. electric pump on an outboard is a very high potential fire hazard.

tashasdaddy

if you want to do away with the vro fuel mix, do it the conventional way. with the conventional premix fuel pumps.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

you have no way for a safety switch to cut the fuel pump off if the engine stalls. motors in inboard outboards, are 4 cycle like your car, they have a switch that is activated by the oil pressure. if the engine stalls the pump quits, automotically. electric pump on an outboard is a very high potential fire hazard.

Fuel pump mounted by the batteries.
Regulator beside the fuel pump. Hobbs switch at the regulator.
Fuel line to the motor. "T" there with one line to each side for carbs.

I now have three fuel system connections at the motor that could possibly leak. I don't even want to count how many potentially unsafe leaky connections I got rid of.
If I loose fuel pressure for any reason, my fuel pump AND my ignition will stop.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I now have three fuel system connections at the motor that could possibly leak. I don't even want to count how many potentially unsafe leaky connections I got rid of.
If I loose fuel pressure for any reason, my fuel pump AND my ignition will stop.

Is this simpler or more effective than "that mess of gaskets, warped/cracked plastic housings, and diaphragms" that was actually designed for the engine and has a home out of the way under the cowling?

Jayboid

Seaman Apprentice

Holly Blue is a good choice if you have no other option. But as long as you can get enough vacuum pulse from your crankcase to run your vro fuel pump, that's the safest way to go.

jonesg

Admiral

Are there scenarios where your system can fail.?
What about another safety shutoff that senses the crankshaft rotation.
Or connect it to the ignition kill switch.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Ask your question at www.screamandfly.com. You will need the VST for hot restart and the vacumn switch for fuel restriction signal .

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

I'd think it safe to say YES, there are situations where this system could fail.
Just like the factory set-up.

In my opinion...It's simpler than what came on it.
Hidden away just as well.
Easier to spot/find a leak.
Cheaper and easier to repair.
Just as safe, if not safer. (IMO).

Motor will tell me if something is wrong. Just like before, it won't run correctly if it leaks.
Odds are that IF it does spring a leak, the repair would be a new piece of hose or clamp while on the water. (I'll have several pieces of old hose that I take off of it left over that I can carry with me).
Where it stands now the repair is a $100-to-$150 kit and a hope that none of the plastic housings are warped. (and that price considers I keep mixing my own fuel). And a long troll/paddle back to bank.

OR, for around $400, I could repair it all and put the oil tank back in place. But, rather than an alarm.....I'd need something like the light off the top of police car or wrecker that would blind me when something went wrong. An alarm is worthless in a bass boat at wot.

Ro-Tator

Seaman Apprentice

Having repaired/rebuilt many different motors. i've made some mistakes that have taught me to be careful.

IMHO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It sounds like yours is broke. If I were you, i'd repair it to the point at which it's in its original state. if you start making modifications, you may save money but you will undoubtedly go through much more hassle... maybe not right away, but in the long run.

If you insist on removing the vro system, my vote would be to use some kind of fuel pump designed to shut off when the engine stalls.

Best wishes and I hope that, whatever route you take, it works out well for you.

~Tator

jonesg

Admiral

I think the hobbs switch shuts fuel off when it reaches pressure,

but what if the fuel line blows off, pressure drops and the pumps keeps pumping, ....err...right next to the battery.

It needs a second shutdown which senses engine rotation.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I think the hobbs switch shuts fuel off when it reaches pressure,

but what if the fuel line blows off, pressure drops and the pumps keeps pumping, ....err...right next to the battery.

It needs a second shutdown which senses engine rotation.

Maybe some sort of input from the crankcase pressure? ;)

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

No problems with 4lbs pressure. Everything working fine. Runs great. No leaks.

When you have the mess that I "had", And saw what I did to remedy it....You "might" think differently.

Safe? Safe enough for my standards. Which, may be a compromise? I'm not sure about that though. My set-up "may" just be safer than what came from the factory. After all, I doubt the factory set their own safety standards. I'm more inclined to believe that they just "met" a requirement/regulation.
I DO think it's safer for the longevity of the engine. Although, that assumption is based on it not going up in flames due to a fuel leak......

If you listen to what any manufacturer says about their new products, It's not difficult to get the impression that what they had before was junk....
For OMC, over the years, they have improved/changed/modified/re-named their VRO system...maybe for a reason?
Do they even still use it?

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I got my 60 hp VRO, the oil tank had already been removed, the electric oil pump disconnected, and the hose plugged off inside the cover. I just use premixed 50:1 fuel. That might be a way to remove some of the stuff.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I got my 60 hp VRO, the oil tank had already been removed, the electric oil pump disconnected, and the hose plugged off inside the cover. I just use premixed 50:1 fuel. That might be a way to remove some of the stuff.

This is exactly what the Johnson/Evinrude tech suggested that I do on my '88 Johnson 110 VRO. I may just do that.:rolleyes:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just to avoid confusion, remember there is no electric pump on a factory VRO, VRO II or OMS system.