Bottom Paint Flaking and peeling

pfd

Cadet
I'm looking for advice... I just purchased a 1999 242 monterey that was in the ocean last year and had been bottom painted. This year it went the summer out of the water and I recently purchased it and placed it a fresh water lake. The bottom paint is flaking and peeling off. It looks terrible. I know it's not a structural issue and I know I no longer need the paint to protect from the hull from sea water issues. So my question is what is the best way to get the bottom back to origional condition. I just want to get the hull smooth and looking and performing good again.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bottom Paint Flaking and peeling

if the boat is staying in the lake it still needs bottom paint.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Capt'
Once the bottom has been painted its virtually impossible to restore it to the original smooth shiny fiberglass it once was....i say virtually because it can be done,but its a messy,time consuming,expensive job....so considering your going in fresh water,you need to do two things...1) - change the motor zinc's to fresh water-2) - repaint for fresh water,use an Non-Ablative paint.I-Boats sells all the above,every year you will need to haul & paint...sorry:D

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Strip it, sand it, prime it and paint it.
Buy paint for how you use the boat.
Moored or trailered?

pfd

Cadet

Well that's what I kind of figured. I keep the boat in the water in a slip. I have changed the Zinks already but I didn't realized there was a paint for fresh water. This is the first boat I've had with bottom paint. What is the typical maintence procedures. Sand and paint yearly? Is the fresh water paint just a cosmetic fix or does it serve a protective purpose? Also what is the best way to sand and prep the bottom for a new coat? And when is the best time to do this? Before the winter storage or in the spring?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

PFD- Here is the link to Interlux - http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp When your done with that homework...then read this - http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp As both of these sites will give you more than enough info, One HUGE recommendation : Go to the local paint store and buy a Tyvex suit ($10) and a GOOD respirator. This stuff is very toxic !!!!!. Have a Ball !!!

pfd

Cadet

Great Links. Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post on how things go.