Fuel tank sending gage location

mollysyd

Cadet
We just purchased a 2001 Sea Pro 175F/S fish and ski boat. The fuel gage doesn't work and I suspect the sending unit is faulty. Does anyone know how to access it?
Thanks,
Chuck

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel tank sending gage location

Before you blame the sender, ensure there is +12 volts on the gauge with the key on. Ensure the terminals are tight. If the +12 volts and ground terminals measure good, then disconnect the "S" terminal (sender wire). Measure resistance between it and ground. If you have an empty or near empty tank resistance should read aboue 240 ohms (give or take a little). Half tank = 102 ohms (give or take a little), and if full or nearly full = 33 ohms (give or take a little). If the resistance readings are reasonably close the problem is not the sender. If you get no reading, then check the ground wire between the metal plate on the sending unit and ground. If that's good, check the sender wire connection. If that's good, then the sender is suspect. The gauge itself is rarely the problem.

mollysyd

Cadet

Thanks for the info Silvertip. You gave me ideas where to troubleshoot.
Chuck

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Easy fix.....All you need is a multi-meter and a few minutes time.

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you need to access the fuel tank there should be a cover on the deck where the sender and the hoses are located that you should be able to lift of unscrew for access. If not then a removable panel in the floor where the tank is located. As your boat is not that old you should be able to find out where it is located either at a local marina or on the web.

phiml

Cadet

I have the same problem with my seapro (lot of other seapro too). Most likely it is the sending unit. Anyway here is what to look for:
First of all locate the service access port on deck (round one) to access fuel sending unit. The fuel tank is not metal, therefore fuel sendind unit has two wire (+,-). check all connections for proper fit, and no visual salt corrosion. Check gauge connectors again for fit and +12V power is available (key on).
For a quick fuel guage check, disconnect the sending unit wires from fuel gauge wires and turn key on only. Short the fule gauge +,- wires together (for 0 ohms case). The fuel gauge should jump from empty to very full. If not fuel gauge is faulty. Else carefully remove the fuel sending unit with hand tool only (watchout for lot of gas fume from tank). Get a replacement for your unit from nearest marine store. Hope this help.

phiml

Cadet

I have the same problem with my seapro (lot of other seapro too). Most likely it is the sending unit. Anyway here is what to look for:
First of all locate the service access port on deck (round one) to access fuel sending unit. The fuel tank is not metal, therefore fuel sendind unit has two wire (+,-). check all connections for proper fit, and no visual salt corrosion. Check gauge connectors again for fit and +12V power is available (key on).
For a quick fuel guage check, disconnect the sending unit wires from fuel gauge wires from access pannel. Turn key on only. Short the fule gauge +,- wires together (for 0 ohms case). The fuel gauge should jump from empty to very full. If not fuel gauge is faulty. Else carefully remove the fuel sending unit with hand tool only (watchout for lot of gas fume from tank). Get a replacement for your unit from nearest marine store. Hope this help.

mollysyd

Cadet

Problem solved: My mechanic gave up on finding an access panel so he cut a hole in the floor in the storage compartment under the couch and found the sending unit. It was defective and has been replaced. He installed an access door in the hole.

Thanks,

Chuck