evinrude 10hp qd-23

coolguy147

Commander
Re: evinrude 10hp qd-23

ok heres a list of items im going to get at auto zone 2moro

spark tester
spark plug wires 4 inches 7mm or is it 4mm 7 inches please specify thanks.
flywheel puller if in stock or ill stop by napa if they have one.
torque wrench
flywheel holder or ill just get my friend to hold the flywheel
flat head screw for annoying exhaust leak in exhuast housing
deep creep idk will think

anything else to my list of thing ? please list for me thoughts

lbentz

Seaman

Damn.....this young man is good. Keep it up coolguy147! ****, by the time you get to your senior year in high school, ALL your classmates will be comin' to ou to fix their cars and such. You're what? 14 now?? Holy Christ! You got more wits than most guys your age. Rock on dude! You certainly have my vote.

Yea, keep the RPM's down on that motor, while out of gear. You won't want a flywheel to land in your lap, spinning at 10,000 rpms. No No No....not a pretty sight. Runaway conditions often end up with a sheared crank and least of all a sheared fly wheel key.

And you're workin' on ATV's too. Way to go. There's good guys here to give you valuable advice. Some have stood by you and followed this thread a lot.

Have a good weekend. Don't hurt yourself. :D

Leon

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Hey,
You'll want to get 7mm metal core spark plug wire. About four feet is enough :) .

When you check on the flywheel puller make sure you ask them for a "harmonic balancer" puller. That's what they'll know it as.

Finding a flywheel holder (strap wrench) big enough at the local parts store might be a bit tough. I wound up having to make one using an old auto serpentine belt, a screw driver and an 18" pipe wrench. I folded the belt in thirds and wrapped the whole thing around the flywheel, Stuck a screw driver in the loop and then pinched the belt between the two with the pipe wrench.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck!

...................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ok four feet of spark plug wire is a lotl for my little motor by the way. when i get the wires is there a big cut end and the boot on the other. so u want me to wrap the thing a little a connect evrything or do i cut some of it?

lol thanks guys for the complients i hate other engines newer ones. cause of the electical wiring and evrything is in the way of evyrthing else and its a pain in the butt i think to get evrything out of the way to fix one thing.

ya i agree finding a large enough strap wrench would be hard. and a strap wrench is the item that holds like a oil filter so u can twist it off? ya i get my friend to wear really sticky gloves hold the flywheel and i will tighten it down. is tightening down 40-45 pounds hard to do?

coolguy147

Commander

hey guys do u know the part number that u used to buy the spark plug wires with. cause i there was a millin boxes of wires in the back and i didnt even know how it was connected to the coil so the part number for car quests spark plug wire would be helpful

i got the harmonic balancer puller heavy much but u guys know how to use it? lol

decided ill find some screw in my garage since i dont know what size i need to buy. i didnt buy a torque wrnech yet by the way they had one though.

freddyray21

Commander

regular automotive wires will not work. They need to be solid core wires and most parts houses will not carry it. Be sure and get the right one.

coolguy147

Commander

my rope broke yesterday lol... me and my mom went on the boat yesterday. ran out of gas filler her up with a extra can. tried to start but rope broke iinside at the knot part. well took off the starter and took soem extra rope and put it around the flywheel. i put to much rope on it so iit got tangled a little inbetween the flywheel. untangled it and this time i remember to advanced the throttle. i noticed that goes full throttle in neutral? i checked evrything and noticed the connector piece at the throttle cable was broken off. its on the outside the little plastic thing which hold it in place. ill probably pop the thing out. align it correctly and pop in some nails to hold it in place.

how to u replace the rope in the starter. that spring scred the crap out of me since it almost poped out in my face.

we got home trolling by the way lol.

whats the part number for car quests spark plug wires for a 1959 evinrude 10hp sportwin

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Spent an hour yesterday morning typing a response. But then clicked on the wrong X closed the wrong window and lost everything. :mad: Hate it when I do that! Basically there was no part number for the stuff I got. It was just on a spool in the back somewhere. As Freddyray mentions above, it's not regular automotive spark plug wire that you want. You need metal core, sometimes also called solid core spark plug wire. They'll only have it if they cater to the racer or hotrod types. They're the only ones who use it. And even if they do have it there is likely only one guy there (the hotrod guy) who knows where it is. Or even what it is! Good luck.

BTW you should review the duckworks column on magnetos . It should give you enough info to go on. If you still have any questions come back and we'll help out.

Ah hah! What'd we tell you about that rope!? :) Glad you were able to limp it home!

........................Todd

lbentz

Seaman

Your local marine parts dealor typically sells that stuff by the foot. For a 10 horse, I would buy about 6 feet. You would be amazed at how much that booger will take. Good Luck

Leon

coolguy147

Commander

dude what r u guys talking about that u need 6 feet and 4 feet of spark plug wire i mean im like 5'9 thats as long as me :D:eek:

ya im still working on gettting that flywheel off.

im replacing evrything!!!! that son of a flywheel is so annoying nvr taking that sucker off again.

give me parts number for the coils points condensers etc please and anything i might need.

so how am i supposed to find the right spark plug wire for my little 10 horse?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Went steelhead fishing today. Got royally skunked :( . The points are part # 18-5156. The condensers are part # 18-5199. Coils (if needed, remember if they are not the original epoxy coils and have no cracks they will be fine) are part # 18-5181.

Did the puller you got come with the proper size 1/4" x 20 bolts? Or were you able to get some? Once you get the proper size bolts with washers to fit the puller it should (famous last words) come off pretty easily. At least not nearly as hard as the bigger ones that are torqued to 105 lbs/ft. Once you get the nut loose leave it on a few turns. You want it just about flush with the end of the crankshaft. So that the mandrel of the puller pushes on both the shaft and the nut. Then tighten the mandrel down really tight. Now lift up slightly on the flywheel. You'll feel it move just a couple thousandths of an inch. Hold it up at the upper limit of it's movement and then smack the end of the mandrel with a hammer a few times. If it doesn't pop. then tighten the mandrel a bit more and lift and smack it again. Tighten the mandrel down and then leave it overnight. It'll come loose eventually.

You want a little extra spark plug wire than what you'll need. You'll take the old ones off and measure the new stuff against the old and cut it to the same length. You will have some left over. 6 feet will give you enough to mess up one time :) . Good luck!

.....................Todd

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you cannot find any other way to hold the flywheel from turning, it may be possible to remove one spark plug, take a length of small diameter rope( not tiny-just smaller than the spark plug hole), make sure the piston is as far away as possible from the plug or bdc. Insert length of rope -not all of it- there needs to be plenty to extract it later.turn engine to make piston compress rope and you should be able to remove the flywheel nut.

coolguy147

Commander

lol nvr heard of steel head fishing. sounds fun:D

man last night of right before i went to sleep i had a dream that the flywheel came off.lol:eek:

well i left the harmoic puller on last night and put soem wd-40 on the crankshaft hopely that ir will pop off 2moro.

oh im going to replace evyrthing cause i nvr wanna take that flywheel off again.

when i get the flywheel off should i leave the coils and junk in there or wait till i get the parts then install.( think i should wait lol)

lol i know the puller came with a million bolts but none of em fit my flywheel:mad:
so i have to look for a 3 bolts out of a bazillion. the bolts im useing r ok except 1 isnt the same and since im using a washer it bends a little to it makes my other screws bend. well i stripped just a little of my flywheel anyway to repair it?

jbjennings

Captain

Coolguy,
I made you a "how to" with pictures for changing your coils and setting your points. You will notice that it says to get #8 hardened 1/4-20 bolts so that you WOULDN'T strip your flywheel. ANy hardware store should have them. I don't know if you noticed my thread. It's called "How to change coils and set points (with pics)" or something similar. If you've stripped out your flywheel holes, you will probably need to get a drill and tap and tap out the bad hole for a larger screw. It's close enough to the center of the flywheel that it shouldn't imbalance it that bad. But you might consider retapping all of them so you won't have to worry. There's also something called a helicoil but you have to buy the helicoil tap and the helicoil so it's somewhat more expensive.
I'd definitely do one coil at a time so you have the other one to reference to be sure you've got it back right. Be sure to make a note of the coil mount position on it's mounting boss so your flywheel magnets don't hit your coil and ruin it. If you do it all right, you won't have to take the flyhwheel back off. But, I've done it NUMEROUS times and still have to go back and fix stuff---nicks in plug wires, bad connection on the coil to plug wire, corrosion on the plug wire end, dirty points, incorrectly gapped points, etc. BUt with all new stuff like you say, when you get it right it should last a LONG time.:)
Good luck,
JBJ​

coolguy147

Commander

ok well ill look at ur post thanks for making it. so basically when u replace the thing in the flywheel u just unscrew and put this wire there and her and. like is there any aligning what i mean is like setting spark plug timing etc which this is gonna worry me. like any timing what so evr?

ok let me replace the items in the flywheel then i take close examination to the flywheel and look at the holes and think and what evr ill replace th thign first.

the wires in the flywheel which u mentioned might have been corroded come with the coils or points or anythign else right? or i have to buy em separate?

wish i had a camera would make this much easier

coolguy147

Commander

how to set spark plug gap? what is it for my motor. i get points cause ive acually seen what u measure but whats with spark plugs? like how tight they r in the motor?

jbjennings

Captain

Plug gap is .030
I'm not sure what the spark plug torque is right offhand since I've never worked on your year motor. Very important to get it right, though. Someone will tell you if they already haven't. All the wires come on the coil except the grounding wires for your kill switch if you have one, and the spark plug wires. Be sure to check your kill switch wires for chaffing.
Once you set the points gap and synchronize your throttle to the armature plate, there isn't a worry for timing. If it idles good, I wouldn't even worry about the synchronization. The timing is always perfect when the flywheel is on the key. So no worry on timing.
JBJ​

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Setting the spark plug gap is pretty easy. You are measuring the distance between the electrode and the steel tab on the end of the plug that goes in the engine.

Use the same feeler gauge that you use for setting points, but use .030 instead of .o20 for the points. It should be a little thicker.

Check the gap buy holding the feeler gauge level with the ground and spark plug straight up and down. If it is too loose in there, tap it GENTLY on something hard to make the gap smaller. If it is too loose, take a small screwdriver and GENTLY pry it open a little.

Once you have done it once, you will be an expert at it!

Good luck,