Mercru alpha 1 questions

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi to first i must say i am not an i/o fan. I have never had one, but something i really do not like about them. With that said, i do not know much about them, i know more on outboards.

So i am looking at buying this sportcraft and it has a 4.3 mercruiser with alpha 1 outdrive. I have seen many of these set ups before but i do not know if they are problem prone? What is the advantages of an io verses and outboard?

While looking at the boat i spun the prop but hand it spun smooth nothing abnormal. But i did notice the prop shaft ran out about .040 (.020 off center) like it was bent. I am a tool maker so i think my guess is fairly close with out getting out the indicators. But does that show a problem, or one in the near future? I have not bought the boat yet, or told the seller. I wanted to get everyones thoughts before i say anything.

Also anything else i should know about this drive system anyone thinks i should know?

ball park the speed of this boat with the 4.3 pushing it, its 20 foot long glass if i had to guess 2500lbs vee hull. Also some miles per gallon number other are getting. Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercru alpha 1 questions

Howdy,

You have a keen eye.

I wouldn't buy an I/O boat (or an outboard for that matter) with a bent propshaft.

Cheers,

Rick