Pulling right?

tmanson

Recruit
Hi folks, first post here.

I have recently acquired a 1992 Bayliner Capri. When driving the boat pulls to the right more than the few other boats I have driven. The trim does not have much effect. I have adjusted the trim tab to both sides and it has little effect. So a few questions:
The skeg is bent a little bit to the left, looking from the rear. Think this is the problem? I have posted a picture.
The prop has seen better days, could that have any effect?
Could the hydrofoil effect the steering?

My plan is to remove the hydrofoil and see if that helps. Then I will put on the new prop when I get it and see what that does. If that does not work I was thinking of trying to bend the skeg back.

main.php

rndn

Commander
Re: Pulling right?

The adjustable tab sitting just above the prop is the correct way to adjust the steering torque. Yours looks huge compared to the simple zinc anode I'm used to seeing on most outboards and outdrives..

Bigprairie1

Commander

Ok, you may not believe this but you should adjust that rear exhaust trim tab (above the prop) all the way over to the right. Yep, I said right not left. (all exactly as view from the back such as in your pic)
You would think that an adjustment in that direction would worsen the condition but it actually is the recommended adjustment direction for your torque issue.
I've a 90' Capri (same style as yours) with a 90 Force and I had the same issue. I made the adjustment and low and behold....reduced torque issues.
Give it a whirl and post your results.
Good Luck
BP:)

tmanson

Recruit

Thanks for the responses.

I realize I have asked questions that have been discussed here before. I have spent some time searching and I have gotten a lot of info.

The one question that I am uncertain about is the bend in the skeg. Is the few degrees that it is bent going to affect the boat?

MikDee

Banned

It's a Force motor mdn, they have an adjustable exhaust spout, set it as Bigprarie suggested,,, But, that Stingray hydrofoil is just an Albatross around your neck it's so big! :eek:
A Deol fin is much smaller, and better. I would either remove it or, if you don't want to buy a Doel fin, cut about 6" Off each end with a hacksaw, and shape it like a Doel fin, the way it is now, it's probably contributing to pulling to the right.

tmanson

Recruit

I would have liked to have done one thing at a time to figure out how much the different things affected the pulling, but I am short of time to go to the lake. I adjusted the trim tab all the way, removed the hydrofoil, and put on a new prop. The boat still pulls to the right until it is has planed out. After it panes out it drives straight.

I am thinking that there is more torque applied until the boat gets out of the water causing the pulling.

I am pondering getting a Torque Tamer, however the website says that it is for high speed torque. Does the trim/steering tab only affect lower speed torque?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

MikDee

Banned

I would have liked to have done one thing at a time to figure out how much the different things affected the pulling, but I am short of time to go to the lake. I adjusted the trim tab all the way, removed the hydrofoil, and put on a new prop. The boat still pulls to the right until it is has planed out. After it panes out it drives straight.

I am thinking that there is more torque applied until the boat gets out of the water causing the pulling.

I am pondering getting a Torque Tamer, however the website says that it is for high speed torque. Does the trim/steering tab only affect lower speed torque?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

I don't know what a torque tamer is? But, the little trim tab works best when on plane, and at higher speeds. You'll notice when you throttle down off plane the helm will tend to turn to the right again.