Chrysler Help!!!

thirdgen87

Cadet
hi all, i got a real nice boat for free. it has what the owner tells me a 90hp chrysler. the model on the plate inside the cover is 858H0C can anyone tell me what it is. size and year. also it fired up last week. ran good. i changed the fuel hose that goes to the removable tank. original was 5/16 new on is 3/8. now the boat is hard to start. could the hose size have any impact on the starting? all help is appreciated.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler Help!!!

Hello thirdgen87 and welcome to Iboats. Motor is from 1980. The incorrect fuel line could be a problem especially if you are not using decent fuel clamps. If motor has not been run in a long time could be crud in the fuel line. When chrysler first built these motors it was not inticipated that people would be using over 10 percent alcohol in the gas. I would rebuild the carbs, fuel pump and replace all the fuel line with new fuel line. Carb kit is 18-7037 and fuel pump kit is 18-7806 both availible here at Iboats.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, the hood may say 90 and the owner may say it is a 90 but the model number says it is an 85 horsepower. Size of the fuel line should not have a bearing on starting, indeed 3/8 is much better from a fuel supply standpoint than 5/16 although with short lengths, either will supply the needs of the engine.

Did the old owner show you the correct cold starting sequence? Pull out the control handle or push the center button, or pull out the silver knob --most likely if it is a Chrysler. Advance the control handle until it stops and push in the key to choke while turning to start position. Engine should fire quickly and run between 1500-2000 RPM in neutral. After it warms up for a few seconds, gradually pull back the control handle to vertical again. This is normal idle. push in silver knob to re-engage the shift mechanism and you are ready to go.

Do not "ease" it into gear. Snap it in quickly to avoid grinding and wearing the drive dogs in the lower unit.

thirdgen87

Cadet

thank you frank and euro. yes my controls have the silver knob you pull out. i do that but when you look at the side of the motor where the solonoid type thing is with a belt on it. seem when i engage the warm up the little lever doesnt touch the rod that goes up and down. its the side as if you were standing in the boat. it would be to the left side. does this need to make contact with the rod on side of carb. or does that happen when its engaged?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Whew! I am a little confused. Is this a distributor ignition engine? (solenoid type thing) Does a cogged belt come out from under the flywheel?

Is the rod that goes up and down the rod that connects all three carbs? This is a three cylinder, three carb engine, isn't it?

And are you saying the throttle cam does not contact the little black roller on the bottom carb when in fast idle/warm up?

thirdgen87

Cadet

Whew! I am a little confused. Is this a distributor ignition engine? (solenoid type thing) Does a cogged belt come out from under the flywheel?

Is the rod that goes up and down the rod that connects all three carbs? This is a three cylinder, three carb engine, isn't it?

And are you saying the throttle cam does not contact the little black roller on the bottom carb when in fast idle/warm up?

sorry for the confusion. cogged belt under flywheel? yes three carb engine ? yes. and rod connects to all three.

throttle cam doesnt make contact when turning engine over. or with the warm up engaged. is it supposed to? or only when its running. the is a little black roller thing as well. we held up the rod attempting to start it and it didnt seem to make a difference. last week she started right up.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The throttle cam is supposed to make contact with the black roller on the bottom carb at all times--even when in neutral.

Since it takes me about an hour to write a post on synchronizing timing and carb linkage, and since I have already done it in the past, please use the search function to find previous posts on this subject. Also, buy a Clymers manual. they explain it fairly well.

Also, pull the plugs and either clean or replace them. These engines use a surface gap plug which tends to foul easily and the first thing to suffer is starting and idle. Correct plugs would be Champion L20V or UL18V; NGK BUH or BUHX

thirdgen87

Cadet

ok frank ill try it out. also surface gap? do i gap the plug or is it preset? thanks again

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Surface gap plugs are pre-set. You can only clean them. If the center electrode is worn down below the porcelain or even with it, the plug is worn and MUST be replaced. If it is above the porcelain, it is good to clean. as soon as you pull them, you will see. If for some reason the previous owner has installed any kind of bent electrode plugs--like Splitfire--, remove and do not use them, They are harmful to these engines. Only the plugs I mentioned above or the Autolite equivalent are acceptable for use.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Your original post said the motor ran then you changed the fuel line then it would not run. First is the fuel line on tight and or does it have a fuel clamp. Second how old is the fuel you are using. Is this the cam you mentioned
link.jpg

thirdgen87

Cadet

thanks for the diagram euro. i replaced the old fuel hose with a new one. its actually the moeller universal kit with primer ball. and im using hose clamps the ss type with screw to tighten.