HUGE PROJECT!! 30' Scarab Sport overhual

Status
Not open for further replies.

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: HUGE PROJECT!! 30' Scarab Sport overhual

You know im not a huge jeff foxworthy fan, but all i gotta say is..."here's your sign"

Yes I know i know i couldnt belive it either

Attachments

• Boat 077.jpg
    Boat 077.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 074.jpg
    Boat 074.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 078.jpg
    Boat 078.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 079.jpg
    Boat 079.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 081.jpg
    Boat 081.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

I circled the areas that were soft in the floor. Now I will jack up the interior shell and then grind out the bad rotted wood & fiberglass in these area's and then refiberglass the back side.....I NEED your input on how to fix these soft spots in the floor. I think My way is pretty good but I am here on I boats with all of you to learn and get your opinions please write me on how to fit these...and your opinion on my way

Attachments

• Boat 082.jpg
    Boat 082.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 090.jpg
    Boat 090.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 085.jpg
    Boat 085.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

I beleive you said you payed $700 for the whole boat, the center console is worth that alone if purchased new! Great boat!

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like an awesome project, I would totally go for it.

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
Comentary

Comentary

ok ok so its a little late!!!!! BUT I promised photos today and here they are!

Well now to talk to you all a little bit now, this is the plan. I brought the boat home and now I plan on redoing the stringers (cuz they need it!) and grinding out the bottom side of the ?interior? shell and refiberglassing all the soft spots in the floor. I plan to do this on the driveway outside. I plan on finishing all of this by the middle to end of October. I know its ambitious but hey! The entire thing is. Yes ?captlee? it?s a labor of love, but I can promise NOTHING compares to taking a piece of junk and making it one of the nicest machines on the water!!!! Now Now all keep in mind that photos are not what the real thing is. I noticed that these photos make her look like she is in better shape than she is. She NEEEDS to be repainted in the interior, so the plan like I said is to do the stringers and soft spots on the floor by October, then put it BACK together then wheel it in the garage and begin cosmetics on the inter?ex. Sanding, and prep work for paint. ?OUPS? - I have a 3 car garage and she will fit by just 2 ft. This is why I built the ?cart? which has 6 wheels that give me 360 degrees of turning to get her in.

ZACH103 YES SIR I WILL TAKE THAT!!!! E Mail me @ Jserb04@yahoo.com and I will get your addy to pay for shipping, Zach I TRULY appreciate your help sir! This is how I can make this project a realitlity thank you so much!

MAXUM247 - yes sir, 700.00. You should see the cushions they are like brand-new, not to mention the spot light, 2 captain?s chairs, Bimini top (which is brand-new) and the hydraulic pump mechanism that the steering wheel attaches to! I am truly grateful for what I have! But more so to all of you who are helping me threw this project, truly priceless, thank you all.

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

How do you fit these kinds of stress cracks??? I know for less "spider web" stress cracks you drill a small hole at each end of the crack and then V notch it out. However with these they are VERY fine, and go allllll over and I almost would assume if I were to sand it down and put a flow coat of resin over this area they would disappear? However I could be totally wrong, could someone please help here???

Also, what kind of material do i need to make "peanut butter" for when I being fiberglassing?

Attachments

• Boat 028.jpg
    Boat 028.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
What the heck is this black bin for??? Any ideas? They are way to narrow for bumpers, and input...

P.S Shes an 85'

Attachments

• Boat 055.jpg
    Boat 055.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
Stainless

Stainless

Any tricks or tips on how to clean my Stainless Items that came with the boat??? They appear to be stainless to me, but they need to be cleaned. Any home remedies to tricks "Coke?" that would clean them right up to a shine??

Attachments

• Boat 094.jpg
    Boat 094.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 095.jpg
    Boat 095.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 096.jpg
    Boat 096.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
Wish List

Wish List

To update my wishlist for youZach103 and the rest of you! The guy dropped off a box of goodies Saturday and I didn?t realist I had some of this stuff so as I said I was going to do, here is the ?updated? Wish list!
Flush mount compass $160.00 (will leave up until I go threw yours Zack THANKS AGAIN!!)
Steering wheel stainless with custom red wheel $129.00
Hydraulic steering system $900.00
Shifter (binnacle mount) $600.00
?Hella? courtesy lights RED $32.00X 6
Cabin lights $20.00 X 2
Electrical switch panel (water proof for Center Console) must have 8 switches on panel $150.00
Battery selector switch $44.00
24X12?? Trim tabs $500.00
Obviously if you add this up its close to 3000, and we know my low low budget of 8000 runs out quick, so I am REALLY hunting for the deals and will jump on any that you find. I will up date this periodically and repost it to let everyone know what I have. Thanks for your help

Robj

Lieutenant

It is hard to tell what condition the gel coat is in. Gelcoat can be made to look like new with a little bit of elbow grease, by wet sanding and polishing. Are you sure the interior needs to be painted or can the gelcoat be restored?

Regarding glass supplies, try and find a wholesaler in your area it is much cheaper than buying from West. I paid $90 for a 5 gal bucket of poly resin, which IMO is a pretty good deal. My guess is you will need at least 5 buckets to do the stringers and floor.

Looks like a great project that will keep you busy for awhile.

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

How do you fit these kinds of stress cracks??? I know for less "spider web" stress cracks you drill a small hole at each end of the crack and then V notch it out. However with these they are VERY fine, and go allllll over and I almost would assume if I were to sand it down and put a flow coat of resin over this area they would disappear? However I could be totally wrong, could someone please help here???

Also, what kind of material do i need to make "peanut butter" for when I being fiberglassing?

good score for 700....ya done good......erikg missed a candidate boat there.

but now the honeymoon with the boat is over....lets get to work......
......its time to start reading.......read read and more reading......your reading in the hull ext now....good....a lot of what you are doing is in there
especially the stringers and transom......

the compleated projects forum is fantastic.......even tho lunds boat is a tinny he has some good ideas in there.

read this on glass
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=272983

the peanut butter answer is in the hull ext thread.....

and the glass cracks are called crazing.......most older boats have them....treat each crack as an individual repair......grind.....clean and filll then sand......but dont worry about that now.....youve got a long way to go till you get to the gellcoat......

the first thing is to find out the extent of the rot....id seperate the cap and hull......and find out whats in there....wood or foam stringers, the reason for that is .......if you want it done by oct....you need to get the wood dry.....even if you go ext grade....it will still need to be dryed for over a week.

that will get you started

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

sorry....i didnt see the second section of picks that you have the hull seperated from the deck.....good job....

someones been in there before......we need closeups of the stringers to acertain weither they need replacing........are they rotted? hows the transom feel? soft?

redfury

Commander

I'm curious as to why the stringers need to be replaced...they look like they are completely glassed over. Unless they were just glassed over to "seal" the stringers, I don't understand why they would need to be replaced. Perhaps pics of them close up would be more revealing. I wish my stringers looked like those when I pulled the floor!

Great looking boat, I'd have jumped all over it too, even if it ended up taking me 10 years to finish off little by little. Gonna be a wonderful boat to fish out of.

zach103

Commander

yah i would get those pics. imagine the money you would save if the guys on here said they didnt need to be replaced.. :)

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Well the “Help Team” on iboats is not quite as big yet, as the one you had to separate the deck, but it is growing.

Nice progress so far. Moving fast.

I like that you are going after the structural weak points first. Good luck, have fun, and if you need moral support on those bad days, shoot me a mail.

:D

Fingernip

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Stainless

Re: Stainless

Any tricks or tips on how to clean my Stainless Items that came with the boat??? They appear to be stainless to me, but they need to be cleaned. Any home remedies to tricks "Coke?" that would clean them right up to a shine??

You can maybe try CLR. That stuff worked great on my stainless showerhead.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

You have got to find some Nevr-Dull. It is a wadding packed in a can and we have been using it in the car trade for years. It removes pits and restores stainless, chrome, brass, etc.
The project sure looks good already. Good to see all that help available for the liner removal!!
I have never bought from these guys but here is a link to some guys that sell misc marine supplies, used and new.
Good luck with all! :)

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/810818184.html

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The good: That boat is gorgeous. I mean really gorgeous. It looks fast and expensive just sitting there. Also REAL good that the outboard brackets are there. Those would probably have cost a fortune. Also the center console. The bad: DAMN couldn't the previous owner have left a few other friggin' parts there????

Good luck. And awesome project to be sure.

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
Input needed

Input needed

Ok so from what I have gathered I want to use 1708 Biax cloth with Epoxy resin. I will use Biax tape for the seems and joints. If anyone has a problem with this please tell me why!! I plan on doing the stringers in 2 layers of this material.
I also plan on fixing the soft spots in the floor. Please keep in mind that I COULD NOT flip the top of this 30 ft boat and am forced to work upside down and grind out the bottom side of the floor, from the bottom. So I will grind out the bad rotted areas then use the epoxy with a filler I think its call ?silica filler? and make a more past like substance and apply that the to floor THEN apply my plywood, THEN apply my layer of cloth. This will be tricky upside down but it is my only choice and I KNOW you guys have done this so please some input here would be greatly appreciated. Also in between layers of cloth and resin should I be using acid tone to prep for the next layer????? What prep work needs to be done?

Robj

Lieutenant

Based on your budget, why are you using epoxy? Poly would work just fine at 1/4 of the price of epoxy. That boat was originally built with poly so it should be just fine.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.