Need Proper Flywheel for 90HP force 906x90b model

beemerjunkie

Cadet
Can anyone give me the model number or a picture of the flywheel on a 1990 force 90HP flywheel. My engine model number is 906X90B. Mechanic states i have wrong flywheel on engine.

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need Proper Flywheel for 90HP force 906x90b model

hopefully these pix show up for you...i have the same motor...

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class

post your email...i will send the pix to you... i thought i had successfully uploaded the pix...but there are not here...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Without seeing the flywheel, I am going to hazard a guess that you should get a new mechanic!

What is the problem with the engine and why do you or your mechanic think it needs a different flywheel?

The 1990 Force 90 horsepower engine used the same flywheel as all the 85 -125 horsepower Force and Chrysler engines from 1980 through at least 1990. The only difference was the color--white, blue, or black. But they are all the same Prestolite part.

NOW: If you have a white flywheel off a 55-60-65 HP 2 cylinder Chrysler engine, that's a different story--Trigger magnet is located differently. But if you had, your engine would not run at all.

beemerjunkie

Cadet

My email is beemerjunkie@yahoo.com. Mechanic stated that someone drilled 4 holes in the top of the flywheel. He says that flywheel could explode at any time and he will not work on the engine.

Joe

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, that's a different story: A damaged flywheel versus the wrong one. But perhaps your mechanic is being a little overzealous.

It is not necessarily dangerous to drill holes in a flywheel--but I don't make it a practice. Danger depends upon the size of the holes, position of them and how many there are. If the flywheel were cracked, there would be no question--replace it, and before you run the engine again.

HOWEVER: Factory black flywheels came with four 1/4 inch holes about one inch in from the rim. It is acceptable to tap these holes to receive a flywheel puller. Factory white flywheels had six holes around the rim. If these are the holes your mechanic is worried about and if the previous owner had tapped them for, say, 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch bolts, there would be very little danger of the flywheel disintegrating.

Let's think about this hole thing: There are already three tapped holes in the center of the flywheel. Old Mercury engines had the flywheel held on with six or eight bolts in the center. Automobiles normally have the flywheel bolted to the crank with about six bolts. Holes are not necessarily dangerous. If they were sloppily drilled or not equidistantly spaced--yes. But the problem is a question of stress concentration. True, drilled holes will concentrate a bit of stress at that point, however, nowhere near the stress that a crack would generate.

So, now it is up to you to decide what you want to do.

beemerjunkie

Cadet

The problem all started when the boat idles fine out of water and will start in the water but as soon as you put it in gear it dies. The first mechanic stated also that the flywheel on my engine was not the right one as well. I am into this boat for about $1500.00 now and through this forum as well as mechanics no one seems to be able to tell me why the motor dies once in gear. the compression is good electrical is good. I just don't understand. I just want to see a pic of another flywheel to see if the one i have is wrong and maybe that the flywheel is the problem.

Joe

clanton

Rear Admiral

You in Florida??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What is the idle set at in neutral? should be about 1000

In forward gear, idle should be 850.

beemerjunkie

Cadet

Settings are 1000 RPM at idle but as soon as you go in gear it dies instantly.

I currently live in Central California.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Well, if you were in south Florida, I have some flywheels off an 1987 model, you can have one.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it starts and runs, the problem is not the flywheel.

There are many causes for dying when put in gear. First, check the plugs clean or replace if fouled. These surface gap plugs foul easily and will make the engine run like crap.

Other things to check--Compression. These engines will start and run with a bad cylinder or two but produce no power so they die when put into gear. Same goes for coils, CD boxes, triggers, and stator. So first check compression on all cylinders--it should be approximately equal. Then check for spark on all four cylinders.

Remove the prop. Check for line wound around inside the prop hub. This will jam it and the engine, while in perfect condition, will stall when in gear. Put the engine in gear and with the ignition off, turn the flywheel by hand. If it binds in any spot, then something inside the lower unit is stopping it.