Strangest oil filter problem ever???

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
I have a Volvo Penta 225E (Chevy 305) engine with the strangest problem I have ever ran across.

Install new (Siera) oil filter, refill engine with oil, runs fine. In fact ran several hours over the course of a few days.

Fired it up at home with muffs and all of a sudden ALL the engine oil is in the bilge. Take a look and the oil was pouring out around the oil filter.

Take the filter off and replace it even though I could see nothing wrong. Refill engine and all is fine.

Use the boat for two weeks and again everything is as it should be.

Fire the boat up again and yup, it does it again, pumps all the oil out around the filter.

Take the filter off, looks fine, put it back on and not a drop of oil leaking. Ran engine for 20 minutes all through RPM range and not a drop of oil leaking.

I closely inspected the mating surface on the engine for the oil filter "O-Ring" and its perfect. (Even checked it with a good straihgt edge, all is fine.) Oil filters are hand tightened and then given a quarter turn as instructed. Its not over or under tightened.

Install a direct read oil pressure guage and it matchs the dash guage exactlly, (running between 40 and 45 PSI at all times.)

I can see absolutely nothing that would or could cause this to happen. I am stumped! Anyone ever see anything like this?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: Strangest oil filter problem ever???

check it each time you go out. sounds like someone is messing with you

carpaediem123

Seaman Apprentice

I had this same issue once many years ago and fineally determined the problem. When I had taken off the old filter, a rudder gasket (which is supposed to remain connected to the filter actually came un-attached from the filter and remained on/in the filter mounting flange/socket. In effect I had two oil filter gaskets and oil was leaking between the two gaskets. Make sure you don't have an extra gasket (gasket from the old filter ) in the mix!

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I would suspect the double gasket theory, or perhaps the filter gasket you have is not "captured" in the filter, and keeps blowing out.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the filter loose when it starts to leak oil? I'd change filter brands as well. Also double check to that your using the correct filter.

Maclin

Admiral

What brand of filter did you use before this oil and filter change? Are you sure the Sierra is the correct part#?

Bondo

Staff member

When I had taken off the old filter, a rudder gasket (which is supposed to remain connected to the filter actually came un-attached from the filter and remained on/in the filter mounting flange/socket. In effect I had two oil filter gaskets and oil was leaking between the two gaskets. Make sure you don't have an extra gasket (gasket from the old filter ) in the mix!

Ayuh,.....

That's My 1st Guess,.....

Confirming it's the Right filter is also a Great Idea.....

Bondo

Staff member

and then given a quarter turn as instructed. Its not over or under tightened.

Ayuh,.....

Try a 1/3 or 1/2 turn......

At Worst,.....
It'll be a Bear to get Off next time.........;)

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Call me strange but I'm a 3/4 turn past contact kind of guy when it comes to oil filters....

Definitely strange - tighten her down a bit more and see what you get.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I know you have the same problem with 2 different filters, but did you buy the filters at the same time, same place????? Batch of filter problem???? Maybe the case of filters were dropped and the are slighly bent, or damaged some how???? Don't know. But!!!! Go to NAPA and get a filter, install it and see if it has the same problem.

Gazza1

Seaman Apprentice

I aways use OEM filters without exception, and sometimes they are cheaper than aftermarket. OEM parts offer warranty if the failure is because of the part, i.e filter leaks because of a fault and you damage the bearings in the engine OEM will replace the damaged parts:)

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem in a car I once owned. The problem turned out to be a sticky pressure relief valve in the oil pump. The oil pressure would climb until it blew the seal out of the oil filter.

Replaced oil pump, problem solved.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a oil pressure gauge on your boat?
Beef

Don S

This from his original post, somehow doubt it's a pump or relief valve.

Install a direct read oil pressure guage and it matchs the dash guage exactlly, (running between 40 and 45 PSI at all times.)

Uraijit

Banned

Keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge! My engine dumped all its oil one day too. I noticed it quickly losing power, and looked down to see ZERO oil pressure. I shut it down quickly enough, that I averted serious damage, but I religiously watch my oil pressure gauges until I can get around to adding an oil pressure alarm.

To make matters worse, I had every tool I'd need to be able to fix ANYTHING on the engine, but I didn't have any spare oil on board. So I had to get towed in.

I keep spare oil and P/S fluid on board now.

Anyway, I know you said you checked the mounting surface, but did you happen to check to make sure the spindle (the part that the oil filter threads onto) is good and tight?

Don S

Build yourself an oil pressure alarm. All you need is a normally closed oil pressure switch (NAPA has em) and a 12Volt buzzer (Radio Shack) and some wire, and you have an alarm.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I had the same problem in a car I once owned. The problem turned out to be a sticky pressure relief valve in the oil pump. The oil pressure would climb until it blew the seal out of the oil filter.

Replaced oil pump, problem solved.

Me too. Mine was a VW rabbit diesel, but I imagine all oil pumps need the same type of valve.

kyleputzier

Seaman Apprentice

Build yourself an oil pressure alarm. All you need is a normally closed oil pressure switch (NAPA has em) and a 12Volt buzzer (Radio Shack) and some wire, and you have an alarm.

Where about do you put the pressure switch on a 5.7?

Kyle

Robj

Lieutenant

One theory is that the relief valve is getting stuck and not dumping off the excess pressure. If you are going to build an alarm maybe have one switch set at high pressure maybe 70 or 80 psi and one for low. This way if you have a spike in pressure which may be the cause for your oil being dumped out, you will know. By the time the low pressure switch/alarm sounds you are already out of oil and it is kinda too late.

Have a great day,

Rob.