87' suzuki 115 problems

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice
hello I am new to the forum...I just bought a 87 susuki 115 and I have had nothing but trouble... I hope someone can help me!! it will idle and run okay on the muffs but won't run at all at the boat ramp...well it will idle rough but when I engage it into gear at the ramp it just dies every time. I thought it might be the oil injection so i deleted it and premixed 50:1 still had the same problems... the gas smelled old so I hooked up to a temporary tank and sprayed carb cleaner through the carbs and drained the bowls until I smelled good gas coming out of them. ran better but still dies upon engaing into gear at the ramp.checked compression all cylinders were good. also checked the spark on all cylinders seemed fine. I am about to pull the carbs off and give them a good cleaning, I was hoping for some advice before I do... I did notice a very small leak at the fuel filter could that effect it running that much?

James R

Commander
Re: 87' suzuki 115 problems

These are real nice motors but as with all motors the carbs need to be clean.
It is quite easy to remove the carbs. I find it simpler to remove the intake manifold complete with the carbs. It makes reasembly much easier. you will have to remove the oil tank to gain access to the nuts. Wiring will need to be disconnected. Remove the silencer box from the carb bank to get clearance. Label connections, oil etc, so you will know where they go. After you put the carbs back this is an ideal oportunity to check the oiling system. A Seloc manual will be most benificial.
Never, I repeat, never use carb cleaner on or in your carbs.
To clean your carbs remove the hoses and dismantle the carbs. remove any gaskets and seals and the throttle position sensor, note its position or mark it. Purchase the carb cleaning kit made by Gunk. It is a gallon can of cleaner with a basket.
Follow the instructions.I have had no issues with damage to plastic parts the dozens of times I have used it.
When it is all back together use Stabil in your fuel religiously.
Hope this is of some help.

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info... so you think it is just carb issue?

James R

Commander

It usually is. Don't ignore the oiling system. I run a 94 DT140 and that gets checked before the start of every season. I use Penzoil Synthetic Blend on all the motors and it seems to work well and with less smoke.

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice

even dieing as soon as you put it in gear at the boat ramp? man I hope so.

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice

how do I make sure the power packs are putting out the correct voltage? how do I make sure all the cylinders are firing?

James R

Commander

A simple way to check the sparks. Take the plugs out. Take a piece of stiff copper wire the kind you get as a ground wire in house wiring wire. loosen one of thermostat bolts and put the wire under it and tighten down carefully. Form four loops in the wire to fit the sparkplug threads. Put the plugs, plugged into their respective wires, into the loops. Make sure they fit tight.
Have someone crank the motor and look for the sparks at the plugs. They should be very light color but strong. If they are not good try cleaning the plugs and the connections in the plug wire boots. If you still dont have good sparks then you need to see which ones are not good and try swapping the coils to see if you have a bad one.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 87 DT150 ss, had similar issues with bad idling when I first got it. I had to have the carbs rebuilt, before my problem was mostly solved. Mostly as in I still had a problem with putting it in gear, it would stall at idle unless I gave it some throttle. I discovered that while on muffs the spark seemed fine, but when I got back home from a trip on the lake - I pulled plugs and inspected them. I discovered one cyl (#5) was apparently not firing under load. My plugs for that cylinder were nearly new looking. Ceramic was as white as if I'd just pulled them out of a new box. Yet they were gas/oil wet. I eventually bought new coils for mine and it greatly solved my problem. It won't idle totally smooth from what every person with experience tells me, but now I can idle out in no wake zone with out nudging throttle to keep it running and causing a wake when I'm not supposed to be. It may be just carb rebuild is all you need, its just what I had to deal with. With the one cyl not firing under load it would not idle well and tended to die on me constantly. Also, my motor doesn't idle real well until its warmed up, so give it some time to warm up in neutral at the dock until it has warmed up. Suzuki's seem to be as cold natured as Mercs. Or at least mine is.

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice

thanks I appreciate the suggetions...I will first try the carb cleaning...then try the coils and post with the results, when I take the carbs apart will I have hell getting them adjusted properly when I out them back on? everybody always says it very difficult to do.

James R

Commander

The Seloc manual is of some help here. These carbs are quite simple and forgiving. You must follow the setup procedure in the manual. One thing that I could not find in the manual is the float height setting measurement. However if you set the float heights so that the floats are parallel with the carb body it seems to work ok.
If anyone out there does know the setting measurement I would appreciate the info.
Get the manual.

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a clymers manual I hope it has good info. I don't know if this helps but my book has several float levels listed. example: 0.37-0.45

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice

well I took the carbs off and gave them a good cleaning...put them back on cranked it up on the muffs and noticed a signifcant improvement..so I decided to test it at the lake....it cranked right up idled good in gear and in neutral, ran great throttled in reverse.... but forward gear throttled up it wouldn't even plain off once I got it back on the trailer I checked the plugs and the very top cylinder, (my guess is cylinder #1), was way newer looking than the other three, it had gasoline on it but it still looked relitively new compared to the other spark plugs....my guess is I need a new coil on that cylinder after talking to you guys on the forum the other day....would only one cylinder not firing cause it to lack complete power like that? what does a replacement coil cost? does anyone live in the dfw, tx area have one for sale? thanks for the help.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can only guess, but it would seem you have a similar problem I was having in my #5 cyl. Yes, you probably need a new coil. As to the not getting on plane with a one cyl not firing, I'd say it could be another issue. My boat is a ProCraft 19'6" and its heavy, but even with the #5 cyl on my motor not firing under load it would get up on plane. But that being said, I also had an issue with my Low Oil Warning Module not working which tells the CDI box you don't have oil and put the motor in safe mode, i.e., only 3 cyl are firing, which when on muffs seems like everything is ok, but when on water couldn't get over 1800 rpm's and couldn't get up on plane. I wasn't able to get a replacement Module, so Browns Point told me to just disconnect it from wiring harness and it would then be firing all cyl. It did work and with replacement coil on my #5, I was back in business.

Here is Url for Browns Point:
http://store.brownspoint.com/dt115.asp
They have most Suzuki parts and will respond to email questions.

Last edited:

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Of course you have a four cyl, so the safe mode may be different if it even has that at all. But with only four cyl it may be also why it won't go on plane. But try to determine if the #1 coil is in fact not firing under load, since Browns Point is selling the coil pack at $54. Many times the #1 cyl in firing order is critical to the running of an engine, so it could be its creating enough power loss to be a factor in being able to plane out or not. I hope I haven't steered you wrong, as I'm not an expert with the Suzuki's, just relating what I experienced with my 150 SS. I noticed in the parts breakdown that there didn't seem to be a low oil warning module for your motor. But since you have a manual it should help you identify that or not. Good luck.

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice

I almost certain the coil is bad... I switched it with another cylinder and it seem to not be firing on that cylinder as well. I am going to try to rebuild the fuel pump and see if that helps at all... thanks alot for your help.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

You said that you bought a manual. Isn't the procedure for testing the coils in there??? I have a DT-85 Suzuki and it wouldn't plane at all when I got it. It had been sitting for 4 years. I had to rebuild the carbs, fuel pump, replaced the plugs. Then it ran great. Don't forget that the ethanol in today's gas is messing all kinds of engines up. If you can find it, use Stabil for Ethanol treatment.

James R

Commander

You are advised correctly. One cylinder down will prevent the motor from getting up under load. Your swapping the coils indicates a bad one or perhaps the cap connection is just plain dirty.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Seloc manual is of some help here. These carbs are quite simple and forgiving. You must follow the setup procedure in the manual. One thing that I could not find in the manual is the float height setting measurement. However if you set the float heights so that the floats are parallel with the carb body it seems to work ok.
If anyone out there does know the setting measurement I would appreciate the info.
Get the manual.

The rule of thumb for float height setting is flip the carb upside down, float arms should run parrel to the carb body.

outbord_115

Seaman Apprentice

I tested it seemed fine..the mechanic tested it he said it seemed fine,but when the engine is running it idles extremely rough and the spark plug doesn't look like it is fiiring. I will replace the coil and try again... This boat is turning into a money pit!!!!

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget the spark plugs - there have been known to be bad ones in the bunch, so for grins and giggles, buy a new set and try them, and if no improvement, then all you are out is an extra set, for "just in case". Inspect the spark wire cap and clean. Autozone sells cap lubricant to prevent moisture but is also good for cap connection on spark plug tip, to prevent corrosion.