Basic Fiberglass Repair Question

Bull54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
From all the threads I have read, if I have read correctly. When doing just about any fiberglass repair, you must first get down to the basic fiberglass, then fill the area with Marine Tex, sand it smooth, then coat with with paint or gel coat. IS this correct? I mean I know there is sanding etc invloved but just want to make sure I have all the ingredients I need before I start the job.

I am basically repairing pitting in the fiberglass, and filling in anchor cleat holes in the bow. I dont need it to look perfect but would like it to look at least somewhat nice.

You guys are great with yall of your info please keep up the good work.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Basic Fiberglass Repair Question

The short answer is yes. If you plan on using gel coat over the repair then Marine Tex isn't the best option, you'd be better of with just gel coat and a polyester filler for the bigger holes. Gel coat doesn't like to stick well to epoxy, but paint will.

Bull54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am pretty sure I will have to at least paint it, as in some spots I am down to the actual glass. Should I take all of it down to the glass or will it be okay to leave the base coat above the glass?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

in the areas you are repairing with glass....you have to take it down to the glass for a proper bond......

the rest of the hull....no you dont have to take it down to the glass....then your talking about re gellcoating....and that is a major superme headache

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If this is for the bow of the boat you had pics of in the other thread, I'd just use gel coat and fill the all of the uneven surfaces. The flat level areas can sort of be flooded to fill the voids and sanded smooth so you have good surface to then paint or refinsh with gel coat.