How many batteries does it take to start an 1986 Evinrude V4 140hp

solanoi

Seaman Apprentice
I just got an evinrude v4 with a 140hp, i have been trying to start it with one battery but all it does is keep cranking and doesnt actually start. Do i need 2 batteries to start it up???

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How many batteries does it take to start an 1986 Evinrude V4 140hp

No all you need is one.You need to check your spark,compression and fuel.remove all spark plugs and buy or borrow a spark tester,same for compression.Has the eng.run latly ,?is it new to you.?

solanoi

Seaman Apprentice

Well the boat was sitting for a year without it starting when i went to buy the boat i tested it and it started up, after that it just keeps cranking but not starting up. i have changed spark plugs,wiring for the plugs,fuel with 50:1 ratio of oil, and cleaned the carborator, i just cranked it about 30 minutes ago and it seemed that it was about to start but didnt.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what exactly are your starting procedures, step by step?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Follow the steps in the thread in the FAQ by JB entitled, "Outboard Wont Start" and let us know what you find.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Too vauge to diagnose but one battery is enough. You must turn 300 rpm for it to start though.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Are you choking it?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually you don't need any batteries. If everything is OK you'll be able to rope start it pretty easy. If it's spinning over at least 350 rpm and doesn't start - something's wrong. Been sitting for a year and you cleaned a carb. Probably need to clean all 4 carb bodies and both throttle bodies. Start with the basics.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think I would prefer to use the electric start on mine rather than rope start it !!! however if I ever need to I will dig my emergency rope starter out of its stowage box on board.
Does that mean that I can rope start mine with the ignition off ????

solanoi

Seaman Apprentice

that's the friend of mine that he is been involved with me to help me. So i would like to know if you have any idea about what happen with my motor:(:confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Starting procedure, having a good fully charged battery and engine cranking over at leats 300 rpms........

* - Prime fuel primer bulb until it is hard.
* - Apply a slight bit of throttle without putting the engine in gear, enough to crack the throttle butterflies.
* - Turn key to the start position and push in the key to engage the fuel primer solenoid. Engine should start and run within six (6) revolutions.
* - When the engine fires and starts to run, release the key so that the key backs up to the run position and the fuel primer solenoid disengages.

If you're using the above procedure to start that engine and it does not start within the mentioned six (6) revolutions, a problem exists with either compression, ignition (spark), or the fuel system.

Compression should be approximately 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Is it?

Spark (with the spark plugs removed) should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame..... a real SNAP! Does it?