Prop Slipping? (Yes another)

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys.. Been a long time. 4 years I think Since I rebuilt the 1993 Evenrude with Iboats help.

The Motor is a 1993 115 Evenrude.
120 hours on rebuild.
On a 19' center Console.
has run like a champ since I turned the key.

The past year I have been getting a slight .. Bump / Buck out of the Engine or lower unit every time I plained off the first time. The rest of the day it wouldn't happen again.

Lately it started happening a little while under way. at 3800 to WOT it's like a Skip// almost like the prop is slipping. RPMS do not change when it happens.

Changed Plugs Filters.. etc..

Seemed Fine for the past 3 trips.. ( 2 men )

Now I have the boat up for sale. This evening I took a prospected buyer out for a test run. Including me. there were four of us weighing in at about 900 Lbs.. He was wondering if we could get up on plain. I said no Problem.

Well the boat had no problem plaining out and ran a cool 5200 rpm at WOT for about 3 minutes. We backed off the throttle and I let him take it in a turn at about 3200 in that turn We got the Skip.. Then about every 30 seconds for about 2 minutes. We backed down and ran back at about 2500 Rpms.. Kind of load free.. and she ran fine.. Seems this is happening under load only.

Sorry for the drawn out Story..

Any Ideas Guys?

Rod

Re: Prop Slipping? (Yes another)

Have you ever had any Lower Unit Problems? Well we have a 1976 70hp Johnson on our 1967 Boston Whaler, we are having what sounds like the same problem you are having. What we found was that some gears were crunching which we asume is causing the problem, so we got a new lower unit and it solved the problem. Well i dont know if that helps you but maybe that could give you an idea of what the problem is.

Rich-

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like you have the clutch dog going out in the lower unit. repairable, usually clutch dog, and forward gear.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Something I can do Myself..? I did rebuilt the motor.. Have to blow the dust off the selco's :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you comfortable with the idea of tearing the lower unit apart? That's what has to be done.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea. I'm looking through the Manual Now.. Looks like I only have to remove the shaft assembly / up to the forward gear right?. Clutch dog 100$.. forward gear 175$

It doesn't look like I have to drop the unit.. right?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Check your shift cable adjustment.

If caught soon enough you can squeek by for quite a while with just a touch more bias towards the forward side. Like just a turn or two on the trunnion.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like that idea.. Can you give me a little more detail.. so I can understand what I'm reading a little better..

(edit) I think I understand. that's where she goes into gear then it stops and the throttle takes over. your saying add a little more before the throttle?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is where the shift cable connects to the motor. may work for a short period, but the wear is already on the dog, the wear comes from slow shifts, shifting and outboard, is fast deliberate action, like slamming it into gear, this cuts down on the wear.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK. I see. Thanks Guys.. I'll probably replace the Dog and forward gear.