What just happened?

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'am changing my thermostats on my 175 evinrude intruder and i get finished installing new stats. I go to start the motor an it turns over maybe once then nothing. All i'am hearing is a clicking noise coming from probably the silenoid. Motor won't crank at all:confused:. This motor is cursed. There are two fuses on top of one of my carbs could it be that? I wouldn't think they would have anything to do with the motor turning over? Hot battery so i know it's not that.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What just happened?

Check ALL your grounds did you unhook any when changing the thermostat

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you hear a clicking noise the fuse is OK. Start at the battery and check the connections. Don't get frustrated, it'll be pretty simple. If it is cursed, send it to me. I'll pay the freight.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you hear a clicking noise the fuse is OK. Start at the battery and check the connections. Don't get frustrated, it'll be pretty simple. If it is cursed, send it to me. I'll pay the freight.
Don't tempt me. I've had about all i want out of this motor and then some. Real nice 200 optimax in the store here i'd like to have. I've checked my main ground from the battery to the starter its tight and free of corrosion. It clicks at the starter thats it. No i didn't remove any ground wires when changing the stats because there were none to remove. I took my temperature sensors out and inspected them but i hooked them back up. Its cursed i tell yeah.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll take all the grounds and hot leads off at the solenoid in the morning and clean them up and inspect them. Hopefully thats all it is. I'd do it now but the mesquito's are horrid around here at night.

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I get that clicking noise in my car when the battery is dead and try to start it :p Is battery ok?

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This happened to me before. The starter had not released from the flywheel and when I turned the key it just went click. Just had to get it to release from the flywheel and all was OK again.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd do it now but the mesquito's are horrid around here at night.

Where are you? Maybe I'll come get it and save the freight....

Seriously, those are great motors. Let us help you work thru the issues, in the end you'll be happy with it.

If you take the plugs out will it turn over?

spicerak

Seaman

take a screw drive over sylnoid and check to see if the starter works

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

No loose grounds to report. Cleaned up everything retightened, tried to start it again and it just clicks. Starter maybe engaged and never let go. I'am taking the top off it in the morning and have a look. I'am also going to try a different battery although my charger says the one in the boat is hot. This one has some deeply rooted demons in it. I may need to call in a excerist to expel them. I hope he has a sack lunch this has issuses.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Again - if you take the plugs out will it turn over?

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Again - if you take the plugs out will it turn over?
I'll try it first thing in the morning. Sorry i didn't respond. I seriously doubt it will turn over even with them out. Nothing sounds like it's binding just the starter is never engaging or its already engaged. I'll try the plug thing first though.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright well first thing i tried this morning was taking the plugs out made no difference. I then took the cover off the flywheel and my starter key was engaged to the flywheel. I get it free so now i'am setting here wondering why it stuck in that position in the first place. It has a seperater gear and key on top of it. The small key from the starter turns the big gear which rotates the key up to the flywheel. The seperate key and gear has alot of play in it and i suspect its the rattling noise i hear when running down lake . Should this thing have that much play in it? Debating whether i should close it up and worry that this thing may hang up again? I guess i need to take my tool bag with me every outing from now on, you never know what my lemonrude posing as a harley might do next .

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well getting the flywheel key unstuck didn't do anything for it. I tried jumping the solenoid and it just clicks. Looks like new starter time:(

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely new starter time. Took it off and unbolted the long screws that hold it together and one of the brushes fell out and another one is missing and i can't find it. Only two intact brushes of the four. 1994 starter guess it lived a good long life. Now its time to shell out some more cash for a starter. You got to love :redface:

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a place in hendersonville that rebuilds mercury starters. I don't know if he would mess with mine. I know a pretty good little used parts shop in lebanon i'am going to try first. If i have to i'll buy a new one. I 've just about bought everything else for it.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You might find a local shop that rebuilds starters and alternators that can do it. My local OMC/BRP dealer sends all of his rebuild work out to one, because there are so many boats where I live, that the generic shops all know how to do the work.