Volvo Penta 5.0GL Won't Start

debsatek

Cadet
I have had the SAME PROBLEM every year since my 1999 Four Winns I/O was new--it will start up just fine and run great for two or three runs. We stop to eat lunch for an hour, and it won't start--it cranks but won't fire. Changed the fuel filter, added gas, checked the wiring, checked the kill switch. It won't go. We let it sit overnight and it still won't start today. Of course we're on vacation and have company at the lake, so it's the absolute worst time! Any ideas? The guy at the local marina was guessing it might be the fuel pump. I even tried starting it with the throttle down but it just won't fire.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0GL Won't Start

Do you have spark? and what is the full model number of your engne, or the SN, either one.

debsatek

Cadet

Yes, I have spark like it's trying to fire but won't.

Don S

Have you hooked up a fuel pump pressure gauge to see if the pump is pumping and/or running.
Still need model or SN.

debsatek

Cadet

There are a whole bunch of numbers on the engine:

Volvo Penta SX 5.0GL
Sticker on the Power box: RWTR 411016B864

Number on the engine itself: 3856270

No, we haven't hooked up a fuel pump pressure gauge to test the fuel pump. The mechanic at the local marina thinks the fuel pump needs replacing, but he can't come out until next week.

Don S

The mechanic at the local marina thinks the fuel pump needs replacing,

You want to replace a $200 fuel pump because he "THINKS" the pump might be bad? Or would you rather do some testing and finding out if maybe a $10 relay, or a dirty connection is the problem. Your choice.

Don S

First of all, remove the relay from the socket so you can do some tests.
Ignition switch off
1. Check between terminal 30 and 86. You should have battery voltage.
2. Make a jumper wire, and jump between terminals 30 and 87. The pump should run if you had power in step 1.
3. If the pump doesn't run, leave the jumper wire between terminals 30 and 87, and disconnect the fuel pump wire connector. (Push in on the wire lock and pull down). With your meter, check across the terminals of the two pins in the plug. You should show battery voltage. Do you? Any corrosion? Did the pump start running when you were moving the connector around?

WTFuelpumpwiring.png

debsatek

Cadet

Thanks, Don. I like your way better. :) Will give it a try.