How to backing down the ramp

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello Guys!
Im new in the forum, also will buy my first boat tommorow, its a Glastron SVV195, I have been in boating for a few years now but backing down the ramp NEVER! Any tips how to deal with?

Thanks

Krakatoa

awides

Cadet
Re: How to backing down the ramp

Welcome, and congrats on the new boat! Go to an open parking lot, field, etc. and practice, practice, practice. Be overly-comfortable with effectively backing your boat BEFORE heading to the launch ramp your first time and you'll be fine.

Backyardhockey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

-practice backing up in a parking lot
-get your gear in the boat b4 your on the ramp
-have someone with you who is out of the car to guide you as you might not be able to even see the ramp. This person must pay attention to YOU, not the other boats or neaby bikinis. You must be able to see this person.
-do NOT go during prime time untill you feel comfortable launching.
-remember the plug and rear straps
-when pulling out remember to raise the outdrive
-have fun

CATransplant

Admiral

As others have said, practice in a parking lot. Take a couple of traffic cones or big cardboard boxes to make a lane to back through, so you get some practice backing in confined spaces.

Remember that small actions of your steering wheel are usually all that's needed. Most everyone oversteers when backing a trailer early on in their experience.

You don't say what the tow vehicle is, but if vision is restricted behind it, practice using your mirrors for backing. If you have something like a minivan or suv with a rear hatch, open it, so you can see your boat on the trailer. I can't even see my trailer when it's empty without opening the hatch on my suv.

You may encounter ramps with all sorts of difficulties. Some don't have a long run in front of the ramp, some make you start at an angle. Try all those things when you're practicing.

Whether you're practicing or at the ramp, if your trailer gets too far out of line, never be afraid to shift to a forward gear and pull forward to straighten it out. Everyone has to do it from time to time, so just bite the bullet and pull forward if you need to.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Take it slooooooooooooow at first................its not a race....................them practice, practice, practice...............and remember backing down a ramp is slightly different than backing on the flat................so if you can find or have access to a sloped area like a loading dock that would really help..............and welcome aboard......:)

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Another good idea is to go to the ramp you plan to use (without the boat) and just sit and watch what everyone else does. Pay attention to the rigs that are similar to yours in tow vehicle and boat length. See how far they pull up before backing in, watch how the pattern of traffic moves from the other ramps (if there's multiple ramps/slots) in and out. Not only will it give you a good idea of what to do with your own rig, it's almost gauranteed to be an entertaining way to spend the afternoon! :D You will also learn what NOT to do! Good luck!

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like others have said small corrections are important. Try not over steer.
Also remember if you want your trailer to go right you have to turn your tow vehicle left. (opposite direction.) I was fortunate when I started to have a long straight ramp at a very little used location.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Here is the secret to backing a trailer that I learned from a dear friend years ago. First of all, as all the other posts have mentioned, take it easy. Once you are in line, take as much time as needed to safely launch your boat.

First of all, line up as straight as possible on the ramp.

Now...rest your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Now, whichever way you move your hand is the direction that the back of the trailer will turn.

Try this, and I think it will take away form the swerving that I see as people are trying to back in a straight line.

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have limited visibility then here is another tip I learned when I used to have to reposition trailers with a semi. With the boat and trailer straight adjust your mirrors so that you see both of the sides of the trailer/boat equally. Back slowly. If you start seeing more of the boat in one mirror turn toward that mirror and that will straighten you out. The goal being to go straight backwards. Key to using this tip is to be fully lined up at the ramp to start. Like everyone said practice alot, take your time and don't be afraid to go forward to get straightened out if you get too far out of wack. Good luck and tell us how your first launch goes.

Renny

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I want to thanks all of you guys for all those tips, I forget to mention that the tow vehicle is a 20047 Jeep Grand Cherooke 6 CIL. Of course I will let you know how it goes in my first attempt :rolleyes: jajaja It will be a lot of fun towing my boat back and forth @ the ramp.:p

Shizzy

Ensign

Another good idea is to go to the ramp you plan to use (without the boat) and just sit and watch what everyone else does. Pay attention to the rigs that are similar to yours in tow vehicle and boat length. See how far they pull up before backing in, watch how the pattern of traffic moves from the other ramps (if there's multiple ramps/slots) in and out. Not only will it give you a good idea of what to do with your own rig, it's almost gauranteed to be an entertaining way to spend the afternoon! :D You will also learn what NOT to do! Good luck!
thats a great idea. I did that before I took my boat down the launch for the first time. It sure helped. I got a good idea of what to do as well as what NOT to do.

ekinnee

Seaman

I want to thanks all of you guys for all those tips, I forget to mention that the tow vehicle is a 20047 Jeep Grand Cherooke 6 CIL. Of course I will let you know how it goes in my first attempt :rolleyes: jajaja It will be a lot of fun towing my boat back and forth @ the ramp.:p

Not that I'm a pro or anything, but on a few ramps I've had to raise the rear hatch on the Expedition to be able to see as the trailer goes over the top edge of the ramp. Just make sure you don't have anything that will fall out as your Jeep hits the angle!

tcindie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

rest your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Now, whichever way you move your hand is the direction that the back of the trailer will turn.

This is the best tip on backing a trailer I think I've ever read. :)

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I want to thanks all of you guys for all those tips, I forget to mention that the tow vehicle is a 20047 Jeep Grand Cherooke 6 CIL. :p

Wow! I woulda thought that that far in the future tow vehicles would back themselves down the ramp! :D:D

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

like everyone has said practice practice practice when i was a kid of 9 years old we had a 1946 jeep willies cj2a i wanted to drive it and my dad told me i only could if i pulled the wood hauling trailer until i could put it anywhere he said. i pulled that trailer around our property all summer and to this day i can back up anything. just remember the shorter it is the harder it is to back up don't be intimidated by large trailers

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some great advice on this thread. I would only like to add a couple of things.

Make sure your boat is ready to go. What I mean by that is, insure your battery is charged your fuel is fresh and your trailer tires aren't cracked. If the boat has been sitting a long time with the battery connected you may find yourself looking for a jump start (and tying up the ramp) unecessarily.

Look for lanes on the ramp and if there aren't any try and imagine them there. It's common for newbies to take up 2 and sometimes 3 lanes of a ramp because they just didn't realize they could leave everyone else room.

Last, when the the day is done, you'll have to back down an empty trailer which in some cases can be very hard to see. Don't be afraid to just turn around in your seat or hang out your door if the mirrors are too difficult to use.

My last truck was a crew cab dually and my trailers are small. Once the trailer dropded down the ramp I had 20 feet of can't see anything. Go slow, have the boat ready to launch when you enter the staging area (unless its not crowded) and be careful.

Once you've done it a few times its a piece of cake. :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Practice, practice and practice is the best method.
By the way in all the excitement......dont forget the Plug !!!!! or you will be practicing your "emergency retrieval" in a hurry !!!!
Good Luck.

medic181075

Seaman

One last thing that hasn't been mentioned yet. If you have any children in the tow vehicle, remove them prior to backing down the ramp. This is very true if they are too small to get themselves out of the vehicle in a timely manner. Tow vehicles do, on occasion, roll back into the water and sink. You really don't want your child to be strapped in a car seat if this happens.

I know this seems like common sense, but I see kids left in the tow vehicle all of the time and it upsets me to think of what will happen if something goes wrong.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the hand at bottom of wheel was around when I first started and that is what I teach all the kids to use.
It's simple and easy to do.

ebry710

Ensign

It really would help if you did all of the above and for the first couple of time have a buddy along side the boat on the drivers side. Have he or she learn:
1) Hand signals: Stop, Left, Right, Proceed
2) That if they can't see you in your side view mirror you can't see them
3) Use only hand signals, you can't hear them and talking is a waste of breath
4) Preplan your back up by watching others use the ramp
5) When in doubt stop and replan
6) Don't be "too cool for school"

and did I mention the signal for stop is real important