Water coming in the boat!

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys been lurking around here for awhile and finally thought id jump into the fun.

However my first post is about a problem Im having with my new to me boat.

1993 Falcon Thunderbird 18.5 open bow 4.3l 180 merc I/O

When I turn hard to the right, water comes rushing through my speaker, and along the side right by the speaker.

Ive inspected the sides of the boat, but cant seem to find any holes or cracks that would allow that much water to come through.

Any thoughts/ideas would be great!

Thanks,
Tyler

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water coming in the boat!

2nd post reserved for pics

Drivers side of boat, water comes in this side.
003ql6.jpg

Getting some pics from the inside, I think I found the spot.

bhammer

Ensign

Is it possibly coming in through the rub rail? If not, maybe you have a very water logged boat and it is stagnant water already in your hull. Have you pulled the speaker to look, or take it out and run the boat with a helper looking to see where the water comes from? I hope it's the first or another issue....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rub rail joint where the hull and cap are joined. very common place for leak.

it should also tell you something, don't turn that sharp at that speed.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rub rail joint where the hull and cap are joined. very common place for leak.

it should also tell you something, don't turn that sharp at that speed.

I try not to turn that sharp most cases. It usually happens when pulling a tuber, or turning around for a fallen wakeboarder/skier. NEver really going to fast either.

Is there anyway to fix it?

tashasdaddy

take a water hose, get some inside boat, run water on side of boat, near the rub rail, if you find the leak,, caulk the joint with 3m 4200.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

take a water hose, get some inside boat, run water on side of boat, near the rub rail, if you find the leak,, caulk the joint with 3m 4200.

Does the rubrail come off, and if so, how?

tashasdaddy

should not have to take it off. but you remove the rubber insert, and the aluminum, is either screwed or rivited on.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could it be water in your bilge? When you pull the plug on the trailer do you get quite a bit of water running out?

tashasdaddy

rub rail, or it could very easily be getting spray in the vent. clik on pic to enlarge.

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rub rail, or it could very easily be getting spray in the vent. clik on pic to enlarge.

the water is coming in almost right near 1800 BR execpt for on the inside :)

But about that location is where the water is coming in at on the inside.

Let me go snap a few pics from inside the boat.

tashasdaddy

you have a rub rail leak. the top part of the boat, overlaps the hull section, you can see the screws in the picture, Yellow line, the water is coming thru this joint, the joint is covered by the rub rail, if you get low, and look up, you can see the joint. 3m 4200 is a great caulking to fill this with.

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

should I fill it from the outside of the boat, or from the inside?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

id fill it from the outside...........mask where you dont want the calk.

as far as water coming in from the vents......(obviously ...(as we can see now)it isnt there because they are at the back of the boat...and the leak is at the front)....and the vents rre uasually joined to the bilge blower, and the other side is just hosed into the bilge with blower hosing...

that boat is very simmelar to a bayliner

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so to fill it from the outside, just above and below the rubrail, and all should be well?

carpaediem123

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with what several things others have said. Make sure your boat has NO water in the "V" (under the floor). Tow it up a good hill, stop whil on an incline (bow high) and pull the drain plug. Make sure it drains completely by visually inspecting the bilge area, and waiting patiently. Be sure to check the drain hole in the floor in front of the engine (down low in the bilge area) to be sure it is not obstructed to ensure the entire hull is draining. If not sure, stick something it it like a screwdriver to make sure is not blocked.

Once you know the enture hull is empty of water, then have someone spray a water hose on, above, under, up, and down the rub rail while you look inside to see where the leak is. If you find one, seal it. (I personally would seal from the inside to avoid altering the appearance of that sharp looking boat!

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Problem has been solved! Sure enough water was coming in the rub rails. Got some marine sealent as directed, and but a small bead above and below the rubrail, as well as inside.

Was out on the water yesterday, making sure to turn hard right as much as possible! And NO WATER came in :)

Thanks for the help guys!