85' Bayliner Wont Plane

tdunakey2951

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 85' Bayliner Wont Plane

Never mind about where to get a compression checker I was thinking of something else I'm not going to be able to get one until tomorrow and I can't tell you the prop size because I don't have a socket big enough to take it off with so I'll do all of that tomorrow

tdunakey2951

Seaman Apprentice

I also just remembered and I thought I should probably tell you is that when running the boat there really is no 1/2 throttle for it its idling little over idling or full throttle I don't if that has anything to do with the linkage or if it's because of the bow rising up so far I don't know just thought I should tell you

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Got any older mechanic type friends or relatives that might have a few tools that you can use or help you out, and bring their compression tester and possibly a tach. I think you can rent the compression tester cheap. To buy one is about $50. You got one of the best helping you out in tashasdaddy. Follow his direction and he'll help get the problem sorted out for you, without spending any more money than you need to. oops! is a bit of a legend around here too. If you want to see what not to do to a perfectly good boat check out his thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392 :D

tdunakey2951

Seaman Apprentice

Yea I do that who I'm getting the compression checker from and theirs a boat shop by me and they have a tach that there going to let me borrow

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, NoKlu.
"I also just remembered and I thought I should probably tell you is that when running the boat there really is no 1/2 throttle for it its idling little over idling or full throttle I don't if that has anything to do with the linkage or if it's because of the bow rising up so far I don't know just thought I should tell you"
this is exactly why, i am asking the questions i am. borrow what ever you can. i was help here years ago, now is my time to help, and the future will be yours. i'll be here tomorrow. i'm very experienced with the 2 cylinders.

tashasdaddy

yes but, less get it running correctly, before you order.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

also.....do not....again...do not start the motor without muffs......

if you dont know what muffs are.....just ask....and we just saved you a big headache......

if you allready know this....you see my intent :)

tdunakey2951

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have muffs and I know not to start it out of water

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....you need a set....8 bucks at wallmart.......or use a really big drum filled with water....the muffs are easyer

the reason you never start it out of water is cause there is a rubber pump...(the impellar) that pumps water and cools the motor.....if the motor starts with out water to this....it will ruin the impellar in less than 5 seconds....it doesnt take much.......

there is a "pee stream" coming from the back of the motor on the leg......this is a visual "tell tale" that the impellar is working....if it ever stops....for what ever reason.....shut the motor off immeadately....or youll cook it

tashasdaddy

i'm trying to remember if the 77 has a tale tell, or the exhaust relief.

tdunakey2951

Seaman Apprentice

I'll take the prop off tomorrow to see if it says anything but if it doesn't if I took a picture of it would you be able to some what tell what it is

tashasdaddy

the numbers will be down inside the hub, on the ridge.

tdunakey2951

Seaman Apprentice

Once I get the compression checker how do I do it is there something I have to unplug to keep it from igniting and just turn over or what

tashasdaddy

remove both plugs, screw in the tester, turn the motor over 4 revolutions, you can use the key to turn over, record the number, then before putting the plugs back in do the spark test.

tdunakey2951

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I was just kind of confused if I had to disconnect the ignition or what and some said take out the safety kill switch witch ares doesn'ti have and do I have to have the throttle in WOT because I was reading and some said to put it there

tashasdaddy

wot not necessary on a 2 stroke. 4 stroke yes.

tdunakey2951

Seaman Apprentice

I have some what of a problem with the tachometer I can't get one around here without ordering a gauge and putting it in

tashasdaddy

don't worry with that at this time, less get the compression and spark test. if you have a timing light that has the rpm reading, you can use it.