Removing pinstripes and other stickers

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi alot of the pinstriping and other bayliner stickers like the fake windows and vents are frayed or cracked on my boat. I want to remove them. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to do this? Also how do you get rid of the old adhesive afterwards? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Renny

tcindie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Removing pinstripes and other stickers

A heat gun would probably make quick work of it...

As for the adhesive, Sticker Off might help you. Never used the stuff myself, but it sounds like it's what you'd want to use.

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M adhesive remover, a bit pricey at 8.00 but worth it. Works alot fast than alcohol.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Heat gun and plastic putty knife for the decals, lacquer thinner on a rag for the adhesive. If the hull has been painted the thinner could remove it if you rub too hard.

erikgreen

Captain

The 3m eraser wheel (looks like a gum eraser in wheel form) takes off the decals and the adhesive without marring the gelcoat. Pricy at about $50 and needs to be put in a drill to run, but it's the "right" solution for the job.

Quick, easy results. Get 'em at body shops and auto parts stores that sell bodywork supplies.

Erik

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I used the heat gun first and plastic scraper. what a pain! The eraser wheel is definitely the way to go, so much faster and good results. still need to use something to remove the adhesive. I didn't try this but several others did- WD40.

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna look for that eraser wheel. Does anyone know if bayliner makes replacement graphics? I'm going to take good pictures of everything and I may just buff out the jell coat and try masking and painting them back on.

thanks again
Renny

erikgreen

Captain

Hmm... maybe my adhesive was old.. it came off with the eraser wheel, no extra work needed.