Help please

Nealbo

Cadet
My uncle gave me a little boat this weekend and it has a Johnson seahorse 18 hp on it . The serial number is 378619 or J2507557. I have no clue what model or year. He said it has low compression in one of the cylinders . I have to get some part for it. So if some one could help me put a year and a model on it. I would be sooo thankful. Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help please

Look for a plate on the side of the port (left) transom bracket. It would have the model and serial number on it. We need the model number.

Neither of the two numbers you listed are the model number.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a 1965 engine, Nealbo.

Has it had a decarbonizing lately? That might solve the compression problem.

Don't start throwing parts at it until you know what it needs.

Nealbo

Cadet

JB I don't know if it has been decarbonizing lately. It was been setting up for at least a year. Do you know of a web site or a book were I can get the engine diagram out off. And what is the difference between the FD-19, the FD-19D, and the FDL-19. Thanks

Nealbo

Cadet

One more thing the two brackets that you use with the ship master remote control. I can not find them any were can somebody can help me out with this. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

control clips, http://www.iboats.com/OMC_Johnson_E...18016161--**********.554154086--view_id.40268

FD19 is short shaft, FDL19 is long shaft. FD19D the D usually means there was a small change in the motor.

Decarb: is a chemical cleaning of the guts of the motors, (enema for the motor).

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck

Nealbo

Cadet

I got the engine going today. I look around on the internet and found that the gap should be sent at .035. The fuel/oil ratio is 50:1. My uncle said it was something like 24:1 ratio. So can somebody give me the right info. Thanks

jbjennings

Captain

50:1 is the correct mixture for that engine. Before you go for a cruise in it, run it in a barrel and make sure it's pumping plenty of water and the cylinder heads are staying cool. If you can't hold your finger on the heads for 3 seconds, it's getting hot and needs a new water pump impeller at the very least. You should also check the lower unit oil for water and a change of the lower unit oil is the bare minimum before going for a stroll in it. Now that you've got it running, you can do the decarb. which is sometimes helpful in freeing stuck piston rings which may cause low compression or worse. New fuel lines and a new water pump impeller are always wise, too.
Good luck with it,
JBJ