Need Rubber Propeller cap for 1957 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 hp

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey All,
I was out on the river yesturday with my 1957 Evinrude 7.5 hp Fleetwin and somehow I lost the rubber cap that goes on the back of the propeller. I need to find a replacement for it. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? I was also thinking of getting an extra propeller and shear pin because I know how easily I could have lost my propeller once that rubber cap came off. When I took my boat out of the water, the shear pin was half way hanging out.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Need Rubber Propeller cap for 1957 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 hp

Have you tried an old time Evinrude dealer?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You are supposed to have a stainless steel cotter pin in the end of the shaft to keep the propeller from sliding off in the event of a lost or sheared pin.

The cap is part number 303365 and is listed as no longer available. Try http://www.sea-way.com/index.htm They have tons of new old stock parts.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are supposed to have a stainless steel cotter pin in the end of the shaft to keep the propeller from sliding off in the event of a lost or sheared pin.

The cap is part number 303365 and is listed as no longer available. Try http://www.sea-way.com/index.htm They have tons of new old stock parts.

Thanks F_R! That website looked pretty cool. I filled out an order form, so I guess they'll e-mail me and let me know if they have what I need.

So that's what that cotter pin is for! haha I actually accidently broke that pin the last time I took the prop off to clean out the fishing line and all and I didn't replace it. Is that a part that I need to order, or can I just take some wire and bend it in there?

wbeaton

Commander

Stainless wire will work, but a cotter pin is best. I bought a bunch of stainless cotter pins at a hardware store last year.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Wbeaton, I'll see if I can find some.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

In business a long time (i.e. more than 50 years).

Oh, ok! Yeah, there is one in my area that has been in business since 1945. Thanks for the suggestion. I sent them an e-mail and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went by Lowes today and bought a couple different sizes of cotter pins. They said they didn't have stainless. I think the guy said it was zinc or something.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried an old time Evinrude dealer?

Well, my "old time Evinrude dealer" doesn't have the part. I sent an e-mail to A K Mc Callum Co. which has been in business since 1945. This is the response that I got:

"Sorry we can't help you. The parts have not been available for years and we have none in stock."

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a lot F_R! www.sea-way.com has the parts that I need! Awsome!

wbeaton

Commander

"Sorry we can't help you. The parts have not been available for years and we have none in stock."

They only recently stopped making them. I bought one new two years ago and the part number was good then. I'll have to stop by my dealer tomorrow see if he has anymore.

Zinc might work. I've never used them, but zinc is corrosion resistent.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me know what your dealer says, because I'm wondering if this dealer just didn't want to bother with me because they can't make much money off me. I'm sure they're much more concerned with selling new motors than helping people with old motors.

wbeaton

Commander

I just bought the last two prop cones my dealer had in stock for $5.75/ea. They were unaware that the part is being discontinued. I'd call another dealer. Probably lots of them still have some NOS prop cones.