Princecraft or Smokercraft plus a couple of questions for new guy

rosscopeeko

Seaman
Hi guys, i need a little help from some experienced boaters. I'm going to buy a wide 12ft boat for fishing and burning around the lakes and occasional river. I currently have a 14ft harbercraft that has a 59" beam and is a little unstable. I run a 15hp yamaha 2 stroke motor. I was looking at the princecraft ungava 12ft which has a 60" beam, and also the smokercraft alaskan 12 which has a 63" beam. I'll include a couple of links at the bottom of this post for both boats. The smokercraft is wider and is quite short and stocky. Will this thing plane ok with my motor? The princecraft has a pointy nose and has the gunnal seats (side) which i like. Do you think it will go through the water better? I'm looking for a well built, stable boat, that will handle the 15 and scoot on the water when need be. I'm in Canada so my opotions to other boats found south are somewhat limited, but if you can offer a good suggestion on another boat, fire away. The smokercraft is $800 or so cheaper, is wider, has thicker aluminum, but my only concern is that it won't scoot through the water. Can you guys offer some insight?

http://www.princecraft.com/Content/en-US/produit/431/Ungava.aspx

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/ShowModel.aspx?ModelID=745&SeriesID=16

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Princecraft or Smokercraft plus a couple of questions for new guy

the 15 should push either of the boats well, i do not like the gunnel seats, as they are ackward for controlling the tiller.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting choices. To me the Princecraft is more attractive, but the Smokercraft looks like better utility. Try to spend some time sitting in both, and picture how your and your buddy(s) will really fit.

Kelly

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You would think the Princecraft with the bench seats would be easier to drive and fish as you wouldn't have to stradle the seat all the time.

Quality wise they are about the same I would say, Smoker is a local company to me and they make a really nice boat but so does Princecraft, tough choice you have there.

You would think the wider hull would plane faster than a skinny one and ya the 15 should move either one fine.

My 2 pennies.

rosscopeeko

Seaman

So when you say more attractive do you mean in appearance, or just overall function? I'll be using the boat for cruising in rivers, fishing, packing camping gear with the girlfriend and going camping in various spots, and cruising on some bigger lakes. The bigger lakes around here have some nasty waves so i need a boat that will handle them well. Any other brands i've missed out on? Or, which one of the two look like contenders? The problem i have in my town is that i don't have a smokercraft of princecraft dealer here. Oh, and i thought i would prefer the gunnel seats because i sometimes fish by casting in the river while anchored, but is it really that awkward running the tiller?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

By attractive I meant has a more finished off look to it. For nasty waves I would forget the 15hp OB and get a bigger boat. There aren't going to be any miracles in the 12' size.

Kelly

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree on nasty weather.

rosscopeeko

Seaman

I guess i should clarify the nasty waves descriptor i gave. I only run the boat in nice weather, but the chop is caused by bigger boats cruising around. When there are serious white caps i get off the water. A 12ft would be my all purpose boat, but i know it's not capable of ocean or real nasty conditions. Any other opinions on the boats i have listed, or do you have any other recommendations?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Most aluminum brands are regional, we have no idea which ones are available in your area. For that matter, I'd say Princecraft and Smokercraft are very respectable choices. But if you just want more brand names to play with, see Alumacraft, G3, Lund, MirroCraft, Polar Kraft.

Kelly

CATransplant

Admiral

Since I fish all the time from a 12' boat, I'd say that I'd love to have the seats along the side at the stern. It's not a big deal, but after mounting a swivel seat on my rear seat, I steer with my arm over the seat behind me. It's OK, but not optimal.

However, sitting on one side or the other, you'll need to distribute weight to get rid of the resulting list. Should be fairly easy, especially if you have a battery, trolling motor, and fuel tank. That oughta just about do it.

Both boats will fly with the 15hp, I guarantee. My Sea King, shown below, has a 54" beam, and planes with a 6hp.

rosscopeeko

Seaman

Ok, so i just found another prospective boat in my area: Lund wc12. It's got a 61" beam, but is very heavy at 205lbs. The lund dealer said they are the best built boats because of the double rivetting. When comparing the 3 though, the smokercraft has the thickest guage aluminum. The lund dealer said smokercraft is a bare bones boat, princecraft is second, but nothing compared to the lund. Biased opinion IMO. Does anyone run a 12ft utility that they love? Thanks

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

"smokercraft is a bare bones boat, princecraft is second, but nothing compared to the lund"

In my view that case can be made when comparing their premium fish-n-ski boats with all the trimmings. Which will be north of $20k. But a utility boat is a utility boat in my book. What you see is what you get, so make your own judgement.

Kelly

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like bare bones boats. Not much to go wrong. I like the Princecraft. I have a little skiff with a tiller motor. It is a pain to twist around to operate it. I think those gunnel seats would be great. As far as the thickness goes, these are light gauge aluminum boats. I have a 15 foot heavy gauge aluminum boat which is 0.160" thick. The Lunds also have a good reputation. I prefer the looks of the Princecraft. All three are good boats. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

CATransplant

Admiral

If not abused, all of those boats hold their value very well, with Lund, perhaps, on the top in that regard.

I doubt you'll be disappointed with any of the three you mentioned. You'll end up customizing the boat with things like rod holders, etc., to make it personalized for your needs. Seats of some kind are my first priority with small boats. My back gets tired really fast sitting on a flat seat.

I really do like the gunwale-style seats, and wish my old Sea King/Starcraft had them. In fact, I'm seriously considering replacing the rear seat on mine with something like that, but I'll probably never get around to it, since I don't have a heated garage to work in during our long winters.

rosscopeeko

Seaman

Well the lund i found sold right away, so now i'm searching for a good used princecraft or smokercraft, but if a good deal comes around i'll buy a new one. The Lund wc12 is in the same price range with the smokercraft quite a bit cheaper. I'll also look for a sylvan, and possibly a misty river. Thanks for the help guys.